Maybe too many ice baths could contribute to joint pain or arthritis,

Steve Waco

Guest
I've seen the thread on ice baths. I find it quite fascinating. I think people's reactions to pain
and discomfort are different in various people. I 'm wondering, I typically take an ice bath
virtually every other day even after a 5-mile run. I usually use 5 pieces of ice that are about 5
inches square and I'm wondering if that is enough ice to get the water cold enough. I usually stay
in about 15-20 minutes. It seems like only the first 30 seconds are the hardest part. The best part
is taking a hot shower immediately after. Maybe too many ice baths could contribute to joint pain or
arthritis, but I think they are quite invigorating. The hot shower afterwards really helps. I
usually put the ice in about a half an hour before I get in to get the water cold enough. It would
be interesting to see if the temperature of my water with those five pieces of ice is cold enough
compared to somebody that might throw in 2 or 3 bags of ice. I usually use about 6 inches of water
in the bathtub and go up to my waist and keep my toes out. Just curious what your thoughts might be.
I've only been doing ice baths for a couple of months, but I have been running for about 7 years.
I'm a 45-year-old male. I'm sure it must help invigorate and repair and recover faster.

Steve when i ice bath i put in half a bag of ice in enough water to almost cover the thighs , toes
are out of water. I stay in 10 minutes and out 10 minutes for 30 -40 minutes. If i get to cold i eat
soup (hot) . i have run marathon with out ice bath and it does help me in my recovery plodzilla

steve waco wrote:

> I've seen the thread on ice baths. I find it quite fascinating. I think people's reactions to
> pain and discomfort are different in various people. I 'm wondering, I typically take an ice bath
> virtually every other day even after a 5-mile run. I usually use 5 pieces of ice that are about 5
> inches square and I'm wondering if that is enough ice to get the water cold enough. I usually
> stay in about 15-20 minutes. It seems like only the first 30 seconds are the hardest part. The
> best part is taking a hot shower immediately after. Maybe too many ice baths could contribute to
> joint pain or arthritis, but I think they are quite invigorating. The hot shower afterwards
> really helps. I usually put the ice in about a half an hour before I get in to get the water cold
> enough. It would be interesting to see if the temperature of my water with those five pieces of
> ice is cold enough compared to somebody that might throw in 2 or 3 bags of ice. I usually use
> about 6 inches of water in the bathtub and go up to my waist and keep my toes out. Just curious
> what your thoughts might be. I've only been doing ice baths for a couple of months, but I have
> been running for about 7 years. I'm a 45-year-old male. I'm sure it must help invigorate and
> repair and recover faster.

If you have to take a hot shower afterwards, what's the point? Anything that needs an antidote can't
be beneficial.

not that this relates to the thread, but the Phoenix Coyotes new facility has an ice bath whirlpool
that maintains 36 degree water while also using the jets for movement of the water. i saw it during
a tour of the facility and thought that it was quite impressive.

"steve waco" <steve@spokanediscount(nospam).com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've seen the thread on ice baths. I find it quite fascinating. I think people's reactions to pain
> and discomfort are different in various people.
> 'm wondering, I typically take an ice bath virtually every other day even after a 5-mile run. I
> usually use 5 pieces of ice that are about 5 inches square and I'm wondering if that is enough ice
> to get the water cold
enough.
> I usually stay in about 15-20 minutes. It seems like only the first 30 seconds are the hardest
> part. The best part is taking a hot shower immediately after. Maybe too many ice baths could
> contribute to joint pain or arthritis, but I think they are quite invigorating. The hot shower
> afterwards really helps. I usually put the ice in about a half an hour before I get in to get the
> water cold enough. It would be interesting to
see
> if the temperature of my water with those five pieces of ice is cold
enough
> compared to somebody that might throw in 2 or 3 bags of ice. I usually use about 6 inches of water
> in the bathtub and go up to my waist and keep my toes out. Just curious what your thoughts might
> be. I've only been doing
ice
> baths for a couple of months, but I have been running for about 7 years.
I'm
> a 45-year-old male. I'm sure it must help invigorate and repair and
recover
> faster.

I just got out of a snow bath. Just go outside and fill up a few bags. It felt colder than the ice
baths I remember; then again, it's been a while. but i feel great now and my fingers barely work
i'm so cold.

~Matty B~