Maynese in 10 seconds ?

Pandora

Guest
"Dj." <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
>
> Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
> http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni=PRAL&fam=MIXER
>
> Thank you.

This is very common in Italy. But you can make mayonnaise also with robot,
it is the same thing. I have used mulinex but it isn't true that you make
mayo in ten seconds. Few minutes!
Pandora

"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dj." <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
>> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
>> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
>> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
>>
>> Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
>> http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni=PRAL&fam=MIXER
>>
>> Thank you.

> This is very common in Italy. But you can make mayonnaise also with
> robot, it is the same thing. I have used mulinex but it isn't true that
> you make mayo in ten seconds. Few minutes!
> Pandora

I own the moulinex. It's sooo quick. I've never timed it, but I wouldn't
quibble with 'seconds.'
Dee Dee

Dj. wrote:
> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
>
> Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
> http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni=PRAL&fam=MIXER

Yes and no.

I have had three different wand blenders. One didn't do a very good job
of making mayonnaise and it took rather a long time. Too weak. The other
two do it in a matter of seconds. All the ingredients in a tall, narrow
container; wand blender all the way to the bottom, then start it. Slowly
lift it up to mix all the liquids and it's done. 10 or 20 seconds
depending on which blender and how much mayo you're making.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) wrote:

> I have had three different wand blenders. One didn't do a very good job
> of making mayonnaise and it took rather a long time. Too weak. The other
> two do it in a matter of seconds. All the ingredients in a tall, narrow
> container; wand blender all the way to the bottom, then start it. Slowly
> lift it up to mix all the liquids and it's done. 10 or 20 seconds
> depending on which blender and how much mayo you're making.

This is with all ingredients in at once? No multiple additions
or slow pouring of the oil? Cool.

Yes, Mayonnaise is very easy to make with a stick blender like that.
(Chances are, you will seldom if ever use the other attachments.I
bought a Braun blender at the local hardware store for about $20.)

In a glass jar (I use a peanut butter jar) put, in this order:
1 room-temperature egg (if necessary, warm it in a cup of hot water.)
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tsp salt.
1 cup salad oil

Put mixer all the way to the bottom *before* turning it on. Then turn
it on, rock it slowly from side to side while bringing it to the top.
Eight seconds is about all it needs.

Comments:
==Having the egg room temperature is important
==Don't use olive oil if you want American style mayonnaise. Olive oil
will work, but it will have a heavy flavor.
==Fresh lime juice is important.

I make this regularly. Haven't bought mayonnaise in years.
Enjoy.
Nancree

"Dj." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.

I can't see how, and you would certainly not just be
puttng "all the ingredients in a bowl" and then start mixing.
Mayonnaise is basically an oil/egg emulsion, and you need
to beat the eggs first and THEN add the oil gradually -
dump in all the oil at once, and it doesn't work (the
emulsion "breaks"). So no matter what mixer you use,
it's going to be longer than 10 seconds. (I do mine in
a food processor, and I can't see any particular advantage
in using a stick blender.)

But it's not THAT much longer - OK, so it's a matter of
minutes rather than seconds; it's still way better than
anything called "mayonnaise" that you can buy at the
store, and it's always flavored the way YOU want it!

Bob M.

"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dj." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
>> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
>> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
>> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.

> I can't see how, and you would certainly not just be
> puttng "all the ingredients in a bowl" and then start mixing.
> Mayonnaise is basically an oil/egg emulsion, and you need
> to beat the eggs first and THEN add the oil gradually -
> dump in all the oil at once, and it doesn't work (the
> emulsion "breaks"). So no matter what mixer you use,
> it's going to be longer than 10 seconds. (I do mine in
> a food processor, and I can't see any particular advantage
> in using a stick blender.)
>
> But it's not THAT much longer - OK, so it's a matter of
> minutes rather than seconds; it's still way better than
> anything called "mayonnaise" that you can buy at the
> store, and it's always flavored the way YOU want it!
>
> Bob M.

Bob, it's a pain in the food processor compared to the blender. I kid you
not, it is done in less than a minute.
I have done it both ways.
Dee Dee

Dj. wrote:
> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
>
> Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
> http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni=PRAL&fam=MIXER
>
> Thank you.

Yes, quite true. In fact, my stick blender does it in 7 seconds. I timed it.

A few months ago I read a paper on food science. In it he proposed a
formula to describe the factors affecting the making of mayo. One factor
was the rate at which the oil was added, another was the amount of
energy expended in making the emulsion. Obviously a stick blender will
be able to apply far more energy than a hand-operated whisk. As a
result, the oil can be added more quickly. In the case of blender stick
mayo, enough energy can be introduced to allow you to add the oil all at
once.

RobtE

In article <[email protected]>, "Dj." <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
>
> Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
> http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni
> =PRAL&fam=MIXER
>
> Thank you.

I didn't look at the link, but doing it with a stick blender and 10
seconds sounds about right. BTDT. MOF, I've got pictures from when I
did it in January. Pretty slick.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

In article <[email protected]>, Reg
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
> > I have had three different wand blenders. One didn't do a very good
> > job of making mayonnaise and it took rather a long time. Too weak.
> > The other two do it in a matter of seconds. All the ingredients in
> > a tall, narrow container; wand blender all the way to the bottom,
> > then start it. Slowly lift it up to mix all the liquids and it's
> > done. 10 or 20 seconds depending on which blender and how much mayo
> > you're making.

> This is with all ingredients in at once? No multiple additions or
> slow pouring of the oil? Cool.

Ayup. When I made it, I used Nancree's recipe and method. Slicker'n
snot.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Bob, it's a pain in the food processor compared to the blender. I kid
>> you
>> not, it is done in less than a minute.
>> I have done it both ways.

> Well, you learn something every day, I guess - using
> the stick has just never occurred to me, and I still
> wonder if it would work well (I tend to make pretty
> fair-sized batches), but I now WILL give it a try - thanks!
>
> Bob M.

Borrow yourself a stick before you buy -- I've heard that some are better
than others -- and some are NOT cheap.
Dee Dee

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Ayup. When I made it, I used Nancree's recipe and method. Slicker'n
> snot.

Well I just tried it with a 200W Braun and no luck. More watts!!!
That's the ticket. Any excuse to buy more equipment.

"Dj." wrote:

> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.

I am assuming that the ten second timing started after the ingredients had been assembled and
into the blender bowl. I have made mayonnaise several times and it does whip up very
quickly, but you have to make sure to drizzle the oil slowly. Ten seconds might be pushing
it, but not much. It is fast. I suspect that if people realized how fast and easy it is to
make mayonnaise more of them would be making it.

Reg wrote:
> Well I just tried it with a 200W Braun and no luck. More watts!!!
> That's the ticket. Any excuse to buy more equipment.

No, I use a 200w Braun and the tall, narrow jar that came with it,
following Nancree's recipe and procedure given in this thread. I use
safflower oil, and sometimes lemon juice instead of lime. Works just
fine. It may not work as well in a shallow bowl, I dunno, but in the
narrow jar that blade generates more than enough energy. Her comment
that the egg should be room temp is right on, too, maybe that was your
problem. -aem

aem wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>>Well I just tried it with a 200W Braun and no luck. More watts!!!
>>That's the ticket. Any excuse to buy more equipment.
>>

> No, I use a 200w Braun and the tall, narrow jar that came with it,
> following Nancree's recipe and procedure given in this thread. I use
> safflower oil, and sometimes lemon juice instead of lime. Works just
> fine. It may not work as well in a shallow bowl, I dunno, but in the
> narrow jar that blade generates more than enough energy. Her comment
> that the egg should be room temp is right on, too, maybe that was your
> problem. -aem

Too late. Nothing can stop me from buying the nuclear powered
5000 watt unit at this point. Nothing!

Now does anyone have a recipe for making Miracle Whip? (I'm kind of
serious.) I think maybe you could start with homemade mayo and whip in
some cooked flour and milk paste and a little sugar...

-Bob

Dave Smith wrote:
" I have made mayonnaise several times and it does whip up very
quickly, but you have to make sure to drizzle the oil slowly. Ten
seconds might be pushing "

You don't have to drizzle the oil at all. You just put everything,
(egg, oil, lime juice, dry mustard, salt ) in at once and then put
stick blender to the bottom of the jar before you turn it on. Then
turn it on, and rock it slowly side to side while bringing it up to the
top. Takes a few seconds only. See my posting above.
Regards,
Nancree

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:50:59 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Ayup. When I made it, I used Nancree's recipe and method. Slicker'n
>> snot.

>Well I just tried it with a 200W Braun and no luck. More watts!!!
>That's the ticket. Any excuse to buy more equipment.

My brother! We were obviously separated at birth! Tell mom happy
70th from her long lost daughter in Sacramento <g>

TammyM, Reg's lil sister in Sacramento, California