Maynese in 10 seconds ?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Pandora, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Dj." <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
    > ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
    > put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
    > special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
    >
    > Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
    > http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni=PRAL&fam=MIXER
    >
    > Thank you.

    This is very common in Italy. But you can make mayonnaise also with robot,
    it is the same thing. I have used mulinex but it isn't true that you make
    mayo in ten seconds. Few minutes!
    Pandora

    Tags:

  2. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dj." <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
    >> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
    >> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
    >> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
    >>
    >> Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
    >> http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni=PRAL&fam=MIXER
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > This is very common in Italy. But you can make mayonnaise also with
    > robot, it is the same thing. I have used mulinex but it isn't true that
    > you make mayo in ten seconds. Few minutes!
    > Pandora

    I own the moulinex. It's sooo quick. I've never timed it, but I wouldn't
    quibble with 'seconds.'
    Dee Dee

  3. Dj. wrote:
    > Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
    > ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
    > put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
    > special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
    >
    > Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
    > http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni=PRAL&fam=MIXER

    Yes and no.

    I have had three different wand blenders. One didn't do a very good job
    of making mayonnaise and it took rather a long time. Too weak. The other
    two do it in a matter of seconds. All the ingredients in a tall, narrow
    container; wand blender all the way to the bottom, then start it. Slowly
    lift it up to mix all the liquids and it's done. 10 or 20 seconds
    depending on which blender and how much mayo you're making.

    Pastorio

  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Bob (this one) wrote:

    > I have had three different wand blenders. One didn't do a very good job
    > of making mayonnaise and it took rather a long time. Too weak. The other
    > two do it in a matter of seconds. All the ingredients in a tall, narrow
    > container; wand blender all the way to the bottom, then start it. Slowly
    > lift it up to mix all the liquids and it's done. 10 or 20 seconds
    > depending on which blender and how much mayo you're making.

    This is with all ingredients in at once? No multiple additions
    or slow pouring of the oil? Cool.

  5. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Yes, Mayonnaise is very easy to make with a stick blender like that.
    (Chances are, you will seldom if ever use the other attachments.I
    bought a Braun blender at the local hardware store for about $20.)

    In a glass jar (I use a peanut butter jar) put, in this order:
    1 room-temperature egg (if necessary, warm it in a cup of hot water.)
    1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 tsp salt.
    1 cup salad oil

    Put mixer all the way to the bottom *before* turning it on. Then turn
    it on, rock it slowly from side to side while bringing it to the top.
    Eight seconds is about all it needs.

    Comments:
    ==Having the egg room temperature is important
    ==Don't use olive oil if you want American style mayonnaise. Olive oil
    will work, but it will have a heavy flavor.
    ==Fresh lime juice is important.

    I make this regularly. Haven't bought mayonnaise in years.
    Enjoy.
    Nancree

  6. Dj.

    Dj. Guest

  7. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Dj." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
    > ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
    > put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
    > special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.

    I can't see how, and you would certainly not just be
    puttng "all the ingredients in a bowl" and then start mixing.
    Mayonnaise is basically an oil/egg emulsion, and you need
    to beat the eggs first and THEN add the oil gradually -
    dump in all the oil at once, and it doesn't work (the
    emulsion "breaks"). So no matter what mixer you use,
    it's going to be longer than 10 seconds. (I do mine in
    a food processor, and I can't see any particular advantage
    in using a stick blender.)

    But it's not THAT much longer - OK, so it's a matter of
    minutes rather than seconds; it's still way better than
    anything called "mayonnaise" that you can buy at the
    store, and it's always flavored the way YOU want it!

    Bob M.

  8. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dj." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
    >> ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
    >> put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
    >> special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.

    > I can't see how, and you would certainly not just be
    > puttng "all the ingredients in a bowl" and then start mixing.
    > Mayonnaise is basically an oil/egg emulsion, and you need
    > to beat the eggs first and THEN add the oil gradually -
    > dump in all the oil at once, and it doesn't work (the
    > emulsion "breaks"). So no matter what mixer you use,
    > it's going to be longer than 10 seconds. (I do mine in
    > a food processor, and I can't see any particular advantage
    > in using a stick blender.)
    >
    > But it's not THAT much longer - OK, so it's a matter of
    > minutes rather than seconds; it's still way better than
    > anything called "mayonnaise" that you can buy at the
    > store, and it's always flavored the way YOU want it!
    >
    > Bob M.

    Bob, it's a pain in the food processor compared to the blender. I kid you
    not, it is done in less than a minute.
    I have done it both ways.
    Dee Dee

  9. RobtE

    RobtE Guest

    Dj. wrote:
    > Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
    > ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
    > put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
    > special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
    >
    > Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
    > http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni=PRAL&fam=MIXER
    >
    > Thank you.

    Yes, quite true. In fact, my stick blender does it in 7 seconds. I timed it.

    A few months ago I read a paper on food science. In it he proposed a
    formula to describe the factors affecting the making of mayo. One factor
    was the rate at which the oil was added, another was the amount of
    energy expended in making the emulsion. Obviously a stick blender will
    be able to apply far more energy than a hand-operated whisk. As a
    result, the oil can be added more quickly. In the case of blender stick
    mayo, enough energy can be introduced to allow you to add the oil all at
    once.

    RobtE

  10. In article <[email protected]>, "Dj." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
    > ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
    > put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
    > special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.
    >
    > Here is her famous mixer, although I don't know what extension she uses:
    > http://www.moulinex.com/fi.cfm?page=/en/products/famille.cfm&pol=TABLE&uni
    > =PRAL&fam=MIXER
    >
    > Thank you.

    I didn't look at the link, but doing it with a stick blender and 10
    seconds sounds about right. BTDT. MOF, I've got pictures from when I
    did it in January. Pretty slick.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

  11. In article <[email protected]>, Reg
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bob (this one) wrote:
    >
    > > I have had three different wand blenders. One didn't do a very good
    > > job of making mayonnaise and it took rather a long time. Too weak.
    > > The other two do it in a matter of seconds. All the ingredients in
    > > a tall, narrow container; wand blender all the way to the bottom,
    > > then start it. Slowly lift it up to mix all the liquids and it's
    > > done. 10 or 20 seconds depending on which blender and how much mayo
    > > you're making.

    > This is with all ingredients in at once? No multiple additions or
    > slow pouring of the oil? Cool.

    Ayup. When I made it, I used Nancree's recipe and method. Slicker'n
    snot.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

  12. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Bob, it's a pain in the food processor compared to the blender. I kid
    >> you
    >> not, it is done in less than a minute.
    >> I have done it both ways.

    > Well, you learn something every day, I guess - using
    > the stick has just never occurred to me, and I still
    > wonder if it would work well (I tend to make pretty
    > fair-sized batches), but I now WILL give it a try - thanks!
    >
    > Bob M.

    Borrow yourself a stick before you buy -- I've heard that some are better
    than others -- and some are NOT cheap.
    Dee Dee

  13. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Ayup. When I made it, I used Nancree's recipe and method. Slicker'n
    > snot.

    Well I just tried it with a 200W Braun and no luck. More watts!!!
    That's the ticket. Any excuse to buy more equipment.

  14. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Bob, it's a pain in the food processor compared to the blender. I kid you
    > not, it is done in less than a minute.
    > I have done it both ways.

    Well, you learn something every day, I guess - using
    the stick has just never occurred to me, and I still
    wonder if it would work well (I tend to make pretty
    fair-sized batches), but I now WILL give it a try - thanks!

    Bob M.

  15. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    "Dj." wrote:

    > Is it true that with such a mixer mayonnaise can be prepared in mere
    > ten seconds ? One of participants in a local forum claims that she
    > put all ingredients in a bowl and after start of mixing with her
    > special mixer the mayonnaise is ready to eat in ten seconds.

    I am assuming that the ten second timing started after the ingredients had been assembled and
    into the blender bowl. I have made mayonnaise several times and it does whip up very
    quickly, but you have to make sure to drizzle the oil slowly. Ten seconds might be pushing
    it, but not much. It is fast. I suspect that if people realized how fast and easy it is to
    make mayonnaise more of them would be making it.

  16. aem

    aem Guest

    Reg wrote:
    > Well I just tried it with a 200W Braun and no luck. More watts!!!
    > That's the ticket. Any excuse to buy more equipment.

    No, I use a 200w Braun and the tall, narrow jar that came with it,
    following Nancree's recipe and procedure given in this thread. I use
    safflower oil, and sometimes lemon juice instead of lime. Works just
    fine. It may not work as well in a shallow bowl, I dunno, but in the
    narrow jar that blade generates more than enough energy. Her comment
    that the egg should be room temp is right on, too, maybe that was your
    problem. -aem

  17. Reg

    Reg Guest

    aem wrote:

    > Reg wrote:
    >
    >>Well I just tried it with a 200W Braun and no luck. More watts!!!
    >>That's the ticket. Any excuse to buy more equipment.
    >>

    > No, I use a 200w Braun and the tall, narrow jar that came with it,
    > following Nancree's recipe and procedure given in this thread. I use
    > safflower oil, and sometimes lemon juice instead of lime. Works just
    > fine. It may not work as well in a shallow bowl, I dunno, but in the
    > narrow jar that blade generates more than enough energy. Her comment
    > that the egg should be room temp is right on, too, maybe that was your
    > problem. -aem

    Too late. Nothing can stop me from buying the nuclear powered
    5000 watt unit at this point. Nothing!

  18. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Now does anyone have a recipe for making Miracle Whip? (I'm kind of
    serious.) I think maybe you could start with homemade mayo and whip in
    some cooked flour and milk paste and a little sugar...

    -Bob

  19. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:
    " I have made mayonnaise several times and it does whip up very
    quickly, but you have to make sure to drizzle the oil slowly. Ten
    seconds might be pushing "

    You don't have to drizzle the oil at all. You just put everything,
    (egg, oil, lime juice, dry mustard, salt ) in at once and then put
    stick blender to the bottom of the jar before you turn it on. Then
    turn it on, and rock it slowly side to side while bringing it up to the
    top. Takes a few seconds only. See my posting above.
    Regards,
    Nancree

  20. TammyM

    TammyM Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:50:59 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    >> Ayup. When I made it, I used Nancree's recipe and method. Slicker'n
    >> snot.

    >Well I just tried it with a 200W Braun and no luck. More watts!!!
    >That's the ticket. Any excuse to buy more equipment.

    My brother! We were obviously separated at birth! Tell mom happy
    70th from her long lost daughter in Sacramento <g>

    TammyM, Reg's lil sister in Sacramento, California