mayo crash-Lance's comments...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by gk, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. gk

    gk Guest

    OK, so I have read the above thread on the crash and the discussion
    about the attack. When asked if they were trying to "put the hammer
    down", Lance said there were not trying to mess with anybody-they were
    just trying to stay in front for the upcoming cobbles, and then once
    through, to stay in front for the next set. I was wondering what the
    hell was going on, since clearly last year, when Mayo and Lance crashed,
    Jan and Tyler waited, and Jan even commented on it the next day on his
    website, saying "Of course I should have waited...", and Lance also said
    "it was the right thing to do". Made me wonder what the hell was oing
    through thier minds, but I suppose that makes some sense...

    Comments....?

    Tags:

  2. GABIKE

    GABIKE Guest

    > Jan and Tyler waited, and Jan even commented on it the next day on his
    >website, saying "Of course I should have waited...", and Lance also said
    >"it was the right thing to do". Made me wonder what the hell was oing
    >through thier minds, but I suppose that makes some sense...
    >
    >Comments....?

    Jan owed Lance a "wait up" after Lance waited on him the year before when he
    went off the clif.

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "gk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > OK, so I have read the above thread on the crash and the discussion
    > about the attack. When asked if they were trying to "put the hammer
    > down", Lance said there were not trying to mess with anybody-they were
    > just trying to stay in front for the upcoming cobbles, and then once
    > through, to stay in front for the next set. I was wondering what the
    > hell was going on, since clearly last year, when Mayo and Lance crashed,
    > Jan and Tyler waited, and Jan even commented on it the next day on his
    > website, saying "Of course I should have waited...", and Lance also said
    > "it was the right thing to do". Made me wonder what the hell was oing
    > through thier minds, but I suppose that makes some sense...
    >
    > Comments....?

    You expect Lance to be consistent? LOL!

  4. gk

    gk Guest

    Actually, I was watching the prerace this evening, and both Phil and
    Paul made allusions to what actaully ended up happening, with Phil
    actually saying exactly that the top riders like Lance and Jan would be
    extremely worried about a crash before or in the cobbles, since the
    other riders would likely press on and the would be real trouble for the
    fallen rider, potentially putting them out of the race. And Phil made
    the comment that leading up to the cobbles the riding would be terribly
    fast and it would be very dangerous. If a crash happened there, it could
    be disasterous. And it was. Even Lance's coach made comments to the same
    about the negative consequences to a fallen rider...

    Once again spot on by Phil and Paul

    ....it makes sense that you are not going to slow up and wait/get behind
    when you have a 4ft wide cobblestine road ahead of you and you have
    worked very hard to get yourself in a "safe" position...

    Chris wrote:
    > "gk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>OK, so I have read the above thread on the crash and the discussion
    >>about the attack. When asked if they were trying to "put the hammer
    >>down", Lance said there were not trying to mess with anybody-they were
    >>just trying to stay in front for the upcoming cobbles, and then once
    >>through, to stay in front for the next set. I was wondering what the
    >>hell was going on, since clearly last year, when Mayo and Lance crashed,
    >> Jan and Tyler waited, and Jan even commented on it the next day on his
    >>website, saying "Of course I should have waited...", and Lance also said
    >>"it was the right thing to do". Made me wonder what the hell was oing
    >>through thier minds, but I suppose that makes some sense...
    >>
    >>Comments....?

    > You expect Lance to be consistent? LOL!

  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    In tour de france, I believe is the custom to wait if the yellow jersey was
    in a accident and you do not attack, that special treatment does not
    necessary applied to every rider in the peleton which was delay or have a
    accident!
    it is call racing and good/bad luck

    "gk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > OK, so I have read the above thread on the crash and the discussion
    > about the attack. When asked if they were trying to "put the hammer
    > down", Lance said there were not trying to mess with anybody-they were
    > just trying to stay in front for the upcoming cobbles, and then once
    > through, to stay in front for the next set. I was wondering what the
    > hell was going on, since clearly last year, when Mayo and Lance crashed,
    > Jan and Tyler waited, and Jan even commented on it the next day on his
    > website, saying "Of course I should have waited...", and Lance also said
    > "it was the right thing to do". Made me wonder what the hell was oing
    > through thier minds, but I suppose that makes some sense...
    >
    > Comments....?

  6. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    gk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > OK, so I have read the above thread on the crash and the discussion
    > about the attack. When asked if they were trying to "put the hammer
    > down", Lance said there were not trying to mess with anybody-they were
    > just trying to stay in front for the upcoming cobbles, and then once
    > through, to stay in front for the next set. I was wondering what the
    > hell was going on, since clearly last year, when Mayo and Lance crashed,
    > Jan and Tyler waited, and Jan even commented on it the next day on his
    > website, saying "Of course I should have waited...", and Lance also said
    > "it was the right thing to do". Made me wonder what the hell was oing
    > through thier minds, but I suppose that makes some sense...
    >
    > Comments....?

    Big Difference! Mayo was one of many cyclist left behind on that
    stretch & not a contender for the overall at that time. Armstrong &
    his henchmen were just protecting themselves against the other 4-5
    real threats for the overall victory. Mayo learned a lesson yesterday
    a big one. Armstrong is in total control! That was so cool!

  7. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest

    On 7 Jul 2004 03:43:39 -0700, [email protected] (Evan Evans)
    wrote:

    >Mayo learned a lesson yesterday
    >a big one

    Um, can't see any lessons to be learned, except possibly "don't ride
    too close to Nozal", and that is probably unfair in any case. "Shit
    happens" is hardly news to anyone...

  8. JFJones

    JFJones Guest

    Wasn't it USPS's Noval who took down Mayo and the rest?
    Just suggesting a possible conspiracy, or maybe it was simply more of
    USPS horsehoes up their butts.

    ps. Armstrong has gotta be the most boring interview on TV.
    Time for an interview with Cipo to put life in to the coverage.

  9. Frequently overlooked on this topic is that there WERE RIDERS UP THE
    ROAD. Were that not the case it could be argued that in spirit of
    fair play and sportsmanlike conduct that the leaders could have
    coasted and let the second bunch catch up. I don't see how they would
    with Voigt up the road with another strong rider, certainly sprinters
    teams wouldn't be thrilled with idea to sit and wait while the stage
    is practically given away by non-sprinters teams ideas on fairness.

    gk <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Actually, I was watching the prerace this evening, and both Phil and
    > Paul made allusions to what actaully ended up happening, with Phil
    > actually saying exactly that the top riders like Lance and Jan would be
    > extremely worried about a crash before or in the cobbles, since the
    > other riders would likely press on and the would be real trouble for the
    > fallen rider, potentially putting them out of the race. And Phil made
    > the comment that leading up to the cobbles the riding would be terribly
    > fast and it would be very dangerous. If a crash happened there, it could
    > be disasterous. And it was. Even Lance's coach made comments to the same
    > about the negative consequences to a fallen rider...
    >
    > Once again spot on by Phil and Paul
    >
    > ...it makes sense that you are not going to slow up and wait/get behind
    > when you have a 4ft wide cobblestine road ahead of you and you have
    > worked very hard to get yourself in a "safe" position...
    >

    > Chris wrote:
    > > "gk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>OK, so I have read the above thread on the crash and the discussion
    > >>about the attack. When asked if they were trying to "put the hammer
    > >>down", Lance said there were not trying to mess with anybody-they were
    > >>just trying to stay in front for the upcoming cobbles, and then once
    > >>through, to stay in front for the next set. I was wondering what the
    > >>hell was going on, since clearly last year, when Mayo and Lance crashed,
    > >> Jan and Tyler waited, and Jan even commented on it the next day on his
    > >>website, saying "Of course I should have waited...", and Lance also said
    > >>"it was the right thing to do". Made me wonder what the hell was oing
    > >>through thier minds, but I suppose that makes some sense...
    > >>
    > >>Comments....?

    > > You expect Lance to be consistent? LOL!

  10. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Frequently overlooked on this topic is that there WERE RIDERS UP THE
    > ROAD. Were that not the case it could be argued that in spirit of
    > fair play and sportsmanlike conduct that the leaders could have
    > coasted and let the second bunch catch up. I don't see how they would
    > with Voigt up the road with another strong rider, certainly sprinters
    > teams wouldn't be thrilled with idea to sit and wait while the stage
    > is practically given away by non-sprinters teams ideas on fairness.

    Chavanel was up the road in the Luz Ardiden stage when the group waited for
    Lance. And anyway, yesterday Voigt and De Groot didn't have that much of a
    lead when the crash happened and they still had 65km to go. It wouldn't have
    mattered if the peloton had waited for Mayo and Hushovd - Voigt and De Groot
    still would have been caught.

    On the other hand, Euskaltel and Illes Balears contributed to the panic and
    their own downfall by riding at such a ridiculous tempo with over 40 km to
    go before the first cobbles.

    Jeff

  11. gk

    gk Guest

    Not to mention the terrible riding they did after the crash... they
    looked alamost like amateurs.

    Jeff Jones wrote:
    > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Frequently overlooked on this topic is that there WERE RIDERS UP THE
    >>ROAD. Were that not the case it could be argued that in spirit of
    >>fair play and sportsmanlike conduct that the leaders could have
    >>coasted and let the second bunch catch up. I don't see how they would
    >>with Voigt up the road with another strong rider, certainly sprinters
    >>teams wouldn't be thrilled with idea to sit and wait while the stage
    >>is practically given away by non-sprinters teams ideas on fairness.
    >>

    > Chavanel was up the road in the Luz Ardiden stage when the group waited for
    > Lance. And anyway, yesterday Voigt and De Groot didn't have that much of a
    > lead when the crash happened and they still had 65km to go. It wouldn't have
    > mattered if the peloton had waited for Mayo and Hushovd - Voigt and De Groot
    > still would have been caught.
    >
    > On the other hand, Euskaltel and Illes Balears contributed to the panic and
    > their own downfall by riding at such a ridiculous tempo with over 40 km to
    > go before the first cobbles.
    >
    > Jeff

  12. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    "GABIKE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Jan owed Lance a "wait up" after Lance waited on him the year before

    when he
    > went off the clif.

    It was on a descent and GC wasn't even close like last year.

  13. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    Roger Hughes <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 7 Jul 2004 03:43:39 -0700, [email protected] (Evan Evans)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Mayo learned a lesson yesterday
    > >a big one

    > Um, can't see any lessons to be learned, except possibly "don't ride
    > too close to Nozal", and that is probably unfair in any case. "Shit
    > happens" is hardly news to anyone...

    maybe watch your ass before a critical part of the stage & bring a
    better team rather than just the folks that live in a 50 k radius of
    you.

  14. Pistof

    Pistof Guest

    "Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > gk <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > OK, so I have read the above thread on the crash and the discussion
    > > about the attack. When asked if they were trying to "put the hammer
    > > down", Lance said there were not trying to mess with anybody-they were
    > > just trying to stay in front for the upcoming cobbles, and then once
    > > through, to stay in front for the next set. I was wondering what the
    > > hell was going on, since clearly last year, when Mayo and Lance crashed,
    > > Jan and Tyler waited, and Jan even commented on it the next day on his
    > > website, saying "Of course I should have waited...", and Lance also said
    > > "it was the right thing to do". Made me wonder what the hell was oing
    > > through thier minds, but I suppose that makes some sense...
    > >
    > > Comments....?

    > Big Difference! Mayo was one of many cyclist left behind on that
    > stretch & not a contender for the overall at that time. Armstrong &
    > his henchmen were just protecting themselves against the other 4-5
    > real threats for the overall victory. Mayo learned a lesson yesterday
    > a big one.

    Yeah, he learned not to hold the ketchup!