Mayo drills

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> Drilling is back!
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/probikes/euskaltel_orbea/mayo_ventoux21
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/probikes/euskaltel_orbea/mayo_ventoux22
>
> The thing looks like a mountain bike too, with an apparent similarity to my old
> Diamondback... the front end is much lower of course...
>
> -Sonarrat.

The Zeus returns!

That's one of the coolest bikes to come down the pike in awile. Its customized...

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote:

> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > Drilling is back!

> If you're gonna bother to drill out those tiny bits, you might as well
> take the handlebar tape off while you're at it, not to mention
> switching to a downtube shifter for the front.
>
> -RJ

It isn't just that they drilled out tiny bits, they didn't put the holes
that close together or make them very big. The weight savings might be a
few grams. Same for the holes in the brake levers. If someone was to ask me
to get obsessive about trimming weight off a bike like that, I'd machine a
channel around the back of the cage bits. But the goofy thing about it is
that the bike has Ksyriums on - not exactly the lightest wheel around. (At
least take the stickers off the wheels.)

That rear triangle is pretty damn tight:
<http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/probikes/euskaltel_
orbea/mayo_ventoux16>

I don't have to switch to a down tube front shifter.

--
tanx,
Howard

"Copper will never be gold"
Shellac

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Howard Kveck wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote:
>

>>"Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message
>>news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>>>"Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...
>>>Drilling is back!

>>If you're gonna bother to drill out those tiny bits, you might as well
>>take the handlebar tape off while you're at it, not to mention
>>switching to a downtube shifter for the front.
>>
>>-RJ

> It isn't just that they drilled out tiny bits, they didn't put the holes
> that close together or make them very big. The weight savings might be a
> few grams. Same for the holes in the brake levers. If someone was to ask me
> to get obsessive about trimming weight off a bike like that, I'd machine a
> channel around the back of the cage bits. But the goofy thing about it is
> that the bike has Ksyriums on - not exactly the lightest wheel around. (At
> least take the stickers off the wheels.)
>
> That rear triangle is pretty damn tight:
> <http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2004/tech/probikes/euskaltel_
> orbea/mayo_ventoux16>
>
> I don't have to switch to a down tube front shifter.

I've got a friend who did the drill on his mountain bike, anywhere he
could. It had more holes than a screen door. I did wonder a bit
whether all those holes might affect aerodynamics, but that's not very
important on a mountain bike.

It's just like those Civics you see buzzing around every suburban street
with big rims and exhaust pipes. It doesn't do much for performance.
But the difference is that if you think your bicycle is fast, then it IS
fast, because you are powering it...

-Sonarrat.

[email protected] (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]..> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > Drilling is back!

> If you're gonna bother to drill out those tiny bits, you might as well
> take the handlebar tape off while you're at it, not to mention
> switching to a downtube shifter for the front.
>
> -RJ

As stated in the artical the bike is at the uci minimum. No need to do
anything more. the drilling was just to put the bike on the min.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> > On 16 Jun 2004 21:44:55 EDT, Richard Adams wrote:
> >> I've got a friend who did the drill on his mountain bike, anywhere he
> >> could. It had more holes than a screen door.

> > This the one?
> > http://home.quicknet.nl/mw/prive/pierson/images/wilbike.jpg

> http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/temp/drilled.jpg

Is that a dentist's bike?

I wonder how heavy the rider is. Seems like that single tube would flex a lot.