Mayo Positive For EPO

So protocol is followed arbitrarily. Accept your point about the "they". It was a pretty cynical unresearched comment by yours truly. But if Mayo was winning the GC at the time, I can bet that we wouldn't have first heard about it on the day after the finish of the race.

homeycheese said:
You need to look closer at these stories to determine who "they" are when it comes to releasing this information. In this case, shock of all shocks, it appears proper protocol was followed with the lab telling the UCI and the UCI informing the team, with no mention of ASO being involved.

There will surely be some ****** off reporters who were not tipped off by the lab in advance.

whiteboytrash said:
Show's target testing is now working......
a little better. I think they could do easiky better with a double testing the same day, early the morning and just before the start, especially for blood. :rolleyes:
They need to be craftier to catch more doper and to scary them.

whiteboytrash said:
wow thats the first 29 riders behind Armstrong in 2003 have test positive ! He was some rider !

What a lineup that was:

1. Lance ARMSTRONG (Usa) en 83h41'12"
2. Jan Ullrich (All) à 1'01"
3. Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) à 4'14"
4. Tyler Hamilton (Usa) à 6'17"
5. Haimar Zubeldia (Esp) à 6'51"
6. Iban Mayo (Esp) à 7'06"
7. Ivan Basso (Ita) à 10'12"
8. Christophe Moreau (Fra) à 12'28"
9. Carlos Sastre (Esp) à 18'49"
10. Francisco Mancebo (Esp) à 19'15"
11. Denis Menchov (Rus) à 19'44"
12. Georg Totschnig (Aut) à 21'32"
13. Peter Luttenberger (Aut) à 22'16"
14. Manuel Beltran (Esp) à 23'03"
15. Massimiliano Lelli (Ita) à 24'00"
16. Richard Virenque (Fra) à 25'31"
17. Jorg Jaksche (All) à 27'22"
18. Roberto Laiseka (Esp) à 29'15"
19. José-Luis Rubiera (Esp) à 29'37"
20. Didier Rous (Fra) à 30'14"
21. Laurent Dufaux (Sui) à 33'17"
22. David Plaza (Esp) à 45'55"
23. Félix Garcia-Casas (Esp) à 47'07"
24. Alexandre Botcharov (Rus) à 49'47"
25. Daniele Nardello (Ita) à 53'14"
26. José Azevedo (Por) à 54'31"

hahahahahahhaa.

does anyone else get the feeling that the UCI was just tossing tests before like it was revealed the USADA and IOC was doing in the 80s and 90s for American track atheletes?

also, wonder how many blood doping positive (hematocrit < 50%) we would have if they tested blood before and after stages... seems to be some indication that auto transfusion are so quick now they can do them right before the stage and have that extra blood out by the time the vampires show up in the morning...

this is just getting stupid now.. i say if they are cleaning house then lets REALLY clean house.. all ProTour riders get a DNA test against the Puerto blood bags and let the chips, yellow jerseys etc.. fall where they may. don't think the Disco boys are going to test positive in the tour running on LAs private stock, but the Puerto blood bags might hold some surprises for at least one of them...

but for real the UCI needs to get serious or they need to step aside or pushed aside. they are quickly becoming irrelevant... i see they are having a dog fight with WADA AGAIN!! saying they don't have a problem AGAIN... are these guys smoking crack or something? seems they are trying to get out of the doped to the gills era with the least heads rolling as possible, when the only way out is to have as many heads roll as possible and start fresh... these guys are idiots!

poulidor said:
a little better. I think they could do easiky better with a double testing the same day, early the morning and just before the start, especially for blood. :rolleyes:
They need to be craftier to catch more doper and to scary them.

Next year ASO are having minders for each team... this was confirmed on EuroSport on Sunday... just like in the dealing rooms in investment banks.. you have members from the securities commission watching for any funny business and viewing random trades... the minders will rotate from each team so they don't get close to anyone one team or individual.. they will sleep in the hotels and submit a report on any funny stuff... ie members of cycling teams swapping bodily fluids... seriously I think it is a step in the right direction and the idea came form Vaughters...

I'd go to Chavanel... the first clean rider at an hour and half behind ! shiesse !!

1. Lance Armstrong (USA), U.S. Postal Service, 83:41:12
2. Jan Ullrich (G), Bianchi, 01:01
3. Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz), Telekom, 04:14
4. Tyler Hamilton (USA), CSC, 06:17
5. Haimar Zubeldia (Sp), Euskaltel-Euskadi, 06:51
6. Iban Mayo (Sp), Euskaltel-Euskadi, 07:06
7. Ivan Basso (I), Fassa Bortolo, 10:12
8. Christophe Moreau (F), Credit Agricole, 12:28
9. Carlos Sastre (Sp), CSC, 18:49
10. Francisco Mancebo (Sp), iBanesto.com, 19:15
11. Denis Menchov (Rus), iBanesto.com, 19:44
12. Georg Totschnig (A), Gerolsteiner, 21:32
13. LÜttenberger Peter (A), CSC, 22:16
14. Manuel Beltran (Sp), U.S. Postal Service, 23:03
15. Massimiliano Lelli (I), Cofidis, 24:00
16. Richard Virenque (F), Quick Step-Davitamon, 25:31
17. Jorg Jaksche (G), ONCE - Eroski, 27:22
18. Roberto Laiseka (Sp), Euskaltel-Euskadi, 29:15
19. Rubiera José Luis (Sp), U.S. Postal Service, 29:37
20. Didier Rous (F), Brioches La Boulangere, 30:14
21. Laurent Dufaux (Swi), Alessio, 33:17
22. David Plaza (Sp), Bianchi, 45:55
23. Garcia Casas Félix (Sp), Bianchi, 47:07
24. Alexandre Botcharov (Rus), Ag2R Prevoyance, 49:47
25. Daniele Nardello (I), Telekom, 53:14
26. Azevedo José (P), ONCE - Eroski, 54:31
27. Javier Pascual Llorente (Sp), Kelme - Costa Blanca, 57:00
28. Grischa Niermann (G), Rabobank, 1:00:32
29. Mikel Astarloza (Sp), Ag2R Prevoyance, 1:02:13
30. Inigo Chaurreau (Sp), Ag2R Prevoyance, 1:03:35
31. Stephane Goubert (F), Jean Delatour, 1:05:38
32. Michael Boogerd (Nl), Rabobank, 1:07:55
33. Laurent Brochard (F), Ag2R Prevoyance, 1:09:35
34. Roberto Heras (Sp), U.S. Postal Service, 1:14:17
35. Giuseppe Guerini (I), Telekom, 1:16:43
36. Mercado Juan Miguel (Sp), iBanesto.com, 1:22:32
37. Sylvain Chavanel (F), Brioches La Boulangere, 1:25:01

Dead Star said:
What a lineup that was:

hahahahahahhaa.

doctorSpoc said:
does anyone else get the feeling that the UCI was just tossing tests before like it was revealed the USADA and IOC was doing in the 80s and 90s for American track atheletes?

also, wonder how many blood doping positive (hematocrit < 50%) we would have if they tested blood before and after stages... seems to be some indication that auto transfusion are so quick now they can do them right before the stage and have that extra blood out by the time the vampires show up in the morning...

this is just getting stupid now.. i say if they are cleaning house then lets REALLY clean house.. all ProTour riders get a DNA test against the Puerto blood bags and let the chips, yellow jerseys etc.. fall where they may. don't think the Disco boys are going to test positive in the tour running on LAs private stock, but the Puerto blood bags might hold some surprises for at least one of them...

but for real the UCI needs to get serious or they need to step aside or pushed aside. they are quickly becoming irrelevant... i see they are having a dog fight with WADA AGAIN!! saying they don't have a problem AGAIN... are these guys smoking crack or something? seems they are trying to get out of the doped to the gills era with the least heads rolling as possible, when the only way out is to have as many heads roll as possible and start fresh... these guys are idiots!
+1 Couldnt agree more. Great post!

whiteboytrash said:
I'd go to Chavanel... the first clean rider at an hour and half behind ! shiesse !!

not saying he's clean but has there been any dirt on Sastre?

Dead Star said:
What a lineup that was:

hahahahahahhaa.

Good God, man.

Farking hell - that is some lineup.

whiteboytrash said:
Next year ASO are having minders for each team... this was confirmed on EuroSport on Sunday... just like in the dealing rooms in investment banks.. you have members from the securities commission watching for any funny business and viewing random trades... the minders will rotate from each team so they don't get close to anyone one team or individual.. they will sleep in the hotels and submit a report on any funny stuff... ie members of cycling teams swapping bodily fluids... seriously I think it is a step in the right direction and the idea came form Vaughters...
Interresting job, I will send a CV to spy the next ex-DC, maybe they will be let out TDF...:D

I with you on this... I reckon a guy like Moreni wouldn't normally test positive... well he would test positive but the UCI would just toss it as its not worth worrying about... they would also cover up the guys like Vino etc. I guess that why the riders get so ****** when they do test positive that they no others are doing it, probably testing positive and nothing is happening... no wonder the lab release it to the media first.... to stop the UCI from tossing it...

doctorSpoc said:

It seems that teams like Saunier-Duval are on the low tech doping plan. They have to make do with micro-dosed EPO (possibly self administered) during the event while the DiLucas, Contadors, and Leiphimers of the peloton get blood transfusions.

It's also interesting to note that Mayo rode okay in the Alps, took EPO, but still declined in form in the Pyrenees. This may be an indication of how much more effective are transfusions and whatever else Disco is doing.

Bro Deal said:
It seems that teams like Saunier-Duval are on the low tech doping plan. They have to make do with micro-dosed EPO (possibly self administered) during the event while the DiLucas, Contadors, and Leiphimers of the peloton get blood transfusions.

It's also interesting to note that Mayo rode okay in the Alps, took EPO, but still declined in form in the Pyrenees. This may be an indication of how much more effective are transfusions and whatever else Disco is doing.
Conversely it could be proof that doping does not override and counteract everything. Your theory also shoots down one of the biggest theories out there which is that nobody looks or acts tired so they must be doping. mayo was and he did.

doctorSpoc said:

There is a pattern of sorts:

McQuaid "riders from the older generation - who were brought up in the doping culture - are being found out by more rigourous testing" (stage 20)
(note : until 12 months ago - McQuaid was saying that there was no doping in cycling).

Stephen Roche on ES "we have a young generation...who I think are riding clean unlike perhaps the older riders in the bunch"

Phil Ligett and Paul Sherwen "this is a new era in cycling.........new younger riders".

The subplot in all of this - is that only riders who are older are being condemned by the talking heads and no younger riders are being found to have doped by the UCI.
I agree with Doc : it wouldn't surprise me if the UCI is willing to sacrifice older
riders (Ras, Vino) in order to try to create the perception that "they're doing something about it".

doctorSpoc said:

Heck, yes. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Bro Deal said:

Agreed. If Mayo had been using EPO all year to train, wouldn't his natural production bottom out ... so much so that he probably had to take EPO during the Tour just to get back to normal levels?

limerickman said:
There is a pattern of sorts:

McQuaid "riders from the older generation - who were brought up in the doping culture - are being found out by more rigourous testing" (stage 20)
(note : until 12 months ago - McQuaid was saying that there was no doping in cycling).

Stephen Roche on ES "we have a young generation...who I think are riding clean unlike perhaps the older riders in the bunch"

Phil Ligett and Paul Sherwen "this is a new era in cycling.........new younger riders".

The subplot in all of this - is that only riders who are older are being condemned by the talking heads and no younger riders are being found to have doped by the UCI.
I agree with Doc : it wouldn't surprise me if the UCI is willing to sacrifice older
riders (Ras, Vino) in order to try to create the perception that "they're doing something about it".
I don't always agree with you Lim, but that pattern makes a lot of sense.

Mansmind said:
I don't always agree with you Lim, but that pattern makes a lot of sense.

...and just imagine if OP never happened.

Basso would have won the Tour after the retired Ullrich beat him the year before to complete the Giro / Tour double.. the Chicken and Mayo would have battled it out for the polka dot jersey... Landis and Levi would have finished on the podium, courageous Vino after crashing goes on to win two stages in surpurb style and sensational young rider Kid Contador in forth sport after winning 2 stages one of which was a time trial.... Moreni would have tested positive and McQuaid would have said that "doping is not a problem, Moreni testing positive proves that only handful of riders are doping and they are the lesser-lights - in the twilight of their careers. The new generation of Basso and co. lead the way in clean cycling." - Nothing has changed... just the names. I agree with Lim.. Contador won't test positive as he's part of the new generation.