Mayo Positive For EPO

poulidor said:
What know LNDD on a positive? Testosterone has been found in sample Nr 1234567890.
LNDD send a fax to UCI with this information.
UCI seek the athlete's name linked with the key 1234567890.
Send faxes to his team, his federation and to WADA.
One mole in LNDD can only give at best a positive case for T, maybe technicians could not know if it's cycling or badmington athletes.

Correct.
LNDD send results to UCI.
LNDD did not know the identity of the riders who's samples they were testing.

UCI match identity numbers to identity numbers listed.

Dr Leon Schattenberg confirmed Armstrong's identity to the journalist.
Dr Leon Schattenberg was/is the UCI anti-doping chief.

Journalist published result with confirmed rider identity.

poulidor said:
One mole in LNDD can only give at best a positive case for T, maybe technicians could not know if it's cycling or badmington athletes.
Exactly. That is why most of Ressiot's "scoops" have been anonymous. In fact I think the only one that wasn't was Armstrong and we know how he matched the samples to the rider.

Crankyfeet said:
Now, I think I understand the Landis case. He paid them off in advance. But some jackass leaked the result. No wonder he was ******.

The Landis case pretty much identified LNDD as the source of at least some leaks. CIR test was run on Landis on Saturday by LNDD. L'Equipe published the results on Sunday. UCI didn't get official notification from LNDD until Monday. Had to be someone at LNDD.

Really, the 99 Tour episode boils down to your predisposition. WADA funded the experiment with a new EPO detection method, and specified the 99 Tour. They could just as easily have specified the 97 Tour samples, those would have been chock full of EPO, including the samples of Riis. Most likely, Pound had nailing Armstrong in mind, so he was passively violating his own regulations. LNDD violated the rules of custody by using the original sample numbers. They were supposed to have been changed. Could have been sloppy, could have been deliberate. Ressiot lied through his teeth to both Armstrong and Zorzoli.

If you hate Armstrong, this is clear proof of his guilt. If you don't hate Armstrong, you'd conclude that no one involved in that mess should be trusted.

JohnO said:
WADA funded the experiment with a new EPO detection method, and specified the 99 Tour.
I thought the retroactive testing of the '99 samples was requested by the UCI to nominally compare EPO use pre, post-Festina?

JohnO said:
The Landis case pretty much identified LNDD as the source of at least some leaks. CIR test was run on Landis on Saturday by LNDD. L'Equipe published the results on Sunday. UCI didn't get official notification from LNDD until Monday. Had to be someone at LNDD.
Are you sure that UCI got official notification on Monday?
Didn't UCI get an unofficial notification before?

this might skew the thread a bit (and i realise that rarely happens in this forum), but has anyone toted up the euros that the uci grabbed in fines from the rider's pledge?

on another theme in this thread, i would support a lifetime ban for a positive test on ped, if only because it would be significant leverage to bargain the ban to a reduced term if the rider exposes the network, doctor, traffickers, et. al. who helped his doping regime.

JohnO said:
Really, the 99 Tour episode boils down to your predisposition. WADA funded the experiment with a new EPO detection method, and specified the 99 Tour. They could just as easily have specified the 97 Tour samples
They tested the 1998 samples and the 1999 samples to see how EPO use had changed since the Festina affair. The 2000 samples were tied up by the french police.

JohnO said:
Most likely, Pound had nailing Armstrong in mind, so he was passively violating his own regulations.
Uh-huh. How was Pound planning on nailing Armstrong when only the UCI knew who the samples belonged to? Was he psychic? Did he know that Armstrong would give permission to the UCI to release his doping forms? I invoke the Chewbacca defense and proclaim that this does not make sense.

JohnO said:
LNDD violated the rules of custody by using the original sample numbers. They were supposed to have been changed. Could have been sloppy, could have been deliberate.
B.S. Since no one but the UCI had the code keys, there was no reason to change the sample numbers. It would have been extra work with no benefit. There is no reason to suppose some sort of dark conspiracy.

JohnO said:
Ressiot lied through his teeth to both Armstrong and Zorzoli.
So what? Armstrong has lied through his teeth to everyone.