Mayo

KeSs

Jul 21, 2004
No doubt that this man is a excellent bike rider. To be a team leader in the TDF is a accomplishment in itself. However, why do I still hear Mayo being talked about as a top 5 finisher? The past few years he has cracked on every major climb.....i cant tell you how many times i have heard them say "Mayo is off the back...." "Mayo has cracked"......i think he is a good rider but i dont think he is able to contend with the big boys anymore......just IMO

Velonews' report on today's stage included a note that Mayo is suffering from tendonitis in one of his knees.

I was surprised he cracked so early. I hope to see him more as his old self when we get to his territory in the Pyrenees. Almost as disappointing as Vino.

Mayo's been touted for the past couple of years as a contender.
A good performance in 2003, does not make a real contender in my opinion.

Better question is: what was in Mayo's engine in the DL 2004! Bruyneel and LA still don't know why he was in the DL THAT good! Read coyle's book.........

limerickman said:
Mayo's been touted for the past couple of years as a contender.
A good performance in 2003, does not make a real contender in my opinion.

Just curious, is there something about Mayo's performance in DL 2004 in "coyle's book"? I had no idea what book you meant, but after a quick search, I'm guessing its a research paper called "Looking At Lance Through A Physiological Lens".

Anyways, I think Mayo's lost a lot of motivation to be able to compete with the tour contenders. He was really flying at last year's Dauphine, but the tour ended shortly after reaching the big mountains. He needs to improve his time trialing skills too...

I thought I read it somewhere in some views about the book.........but can't find the source....

sam_m said:
Just curious, is there something about Mayo's performance in DL 2004 in "coyle's book"? I had no idea what book you meant, but after a quick search, I'm guessing its a research paper called "Looking At Lance Through A Physiological Lens".

Anyways, I think Mayo's lost a lot of motivation to be able to compete with the tour contenders. He was really flying at last year's Dauphine, but the tour ended shortly after reaching the big mountains. He needs to improve his time trialing skills too...