Mayo's Bike at Dauphine

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Richard Chan, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    Tags:

  2. patch70

    patch70 Guest

    Richard Chan wrote:
    > Mont-Ventoux stage ITT today, from Grahamwatson.com:
    > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall-
    > "]http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall-
    > ?openform&04dauphineSt4
    > He is not riding his carbon but looks like an AL (Mg?) frame with DA8
    > rings. This must be their lightest setup. Tyler H. also looks like
    > riding a new frame.

    Right. I would assume Al given the Pinarello patents on using Mg.
    Apparently it is the lightest bike Mayo has ever ridden. Not sure what
    Tyler is on but looks like a lugged carbon bike. Out of Lance, Tyler &
    Iban, only Lance went for the downtube shifter for the front der.

    --

  3. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Richard Chan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mont-Ventoux stage ITT today, from Grahamwatson.com:
    > Tyler H. also looks like riding a new frame.

    Not only that, it looks like he using a *standard* Campy Record [email protected]#
    What happened to the "compact" crank everybody is emulating.....

  4. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    [email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mont-Ventoux stage ITT today, from Grahamwatson.com:
    >
    > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04dauphineSt4
    >
    > He is not riding his carbon but looks like an AL (Mg?) frame with DA8
    > rings. This must be their lightest setup. Tyler H. also looks like
    > riding a new frame.

    Hi, what is going on with the seat stays on Hamilton's bike. If you
    look at the picture, about the 15th down, it looks like they are taped
    on. Or is it some type of lug?

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  5. patch70 wrote:
    > Richard Chan wrote:
    > > Mont-Ventoux stage ITT today, from Grahamwatson.com:
    > > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall-
    > > "]http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall-
    > > ?openform&04dauphineSt4
    > > He is not riding his carbon but looks like an AL (Mg?) frame with DA8
    > > rings. This must be their lightest setup. Tyler H. also looks like
    > > riding a new frame.

    > Right. I would assume Al given the Pinarello patents on using Mg.
    > Apparently it is the lightest bike Mayo has ever ridden. Not sure what
    > Tyler is on but looks like a lugged carbon bike. Out of Lance, Tyler &
    > Iban, only Lance went for the downtube shifter for the front der.
    >

    > --

    Anyway Tyler's bike is a BMC. The headtube and the area under the
    seatpost are typical bmc.

  6. O. Simonsen

    O. Simonsen Guest

    > Hi, what is going on with the seat stays on Hamilton's bike. If you
    > look at the picture, about the 15th down, it looks like they are taped
    > on. Or is it some type of lug?

    It's the way BMC makes the "lugs" on their road frames (Crosslock
    Skeleton technology). But I belive this one is a new carbon prototype,
    much like the Cannondale "Six13" with alu lugs bonded to carbon tubes.

    http://www.bmc-racing.com/bikes.cfm?lang=eng&catID=4

    O. simonsen

  7. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    Jeff Starr wrote:

    > Hi, what is going on with the seat stays on Hamilton's bike. If you
    > look at the picture, about the 15th down, it looks like they are taped
    > on. Or is it some type of lug?

    A lug on the BMC that Phonak is riding this year. Here's an article on
    the standard Phonak BMC:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2002/features/probikes/?id=phonak

  8. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > Hi, what is going on with the seat stays on Hamilton's bike. If you
    > look at the picture, about the 15th down, it looks like they are taped
    > on. Or is it some type of lug?

    That's the signature style of the frame builder (BMC?). Look at the
    other Phonak members riding their "standard" AL frames and you will
    see.

    Update: Mayo's frame is Columbus Starship (AL tubing) prototype
    (cyclingnews.com). I thought Orbea claims their carbon frame is ~ 890
    grams (or was it Giant?) already. I am also guessing the cassettes
    used are all ti (looks uniform in color for the cogs that I can see).

  9. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Orbea claims 1000 grams for the Orca (all-carbon model).

    Richard Chan wrote:
    > [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>[email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>
    >>Hi, what is going on with the seat stays on Hamilton's bike. If you
    >>look at the picture, about the 15th down, it looks like they are taped
    >>on. Or is it some type of lug?

    > That's the signature style of the frame builder (BMC?). Look at the
    > other Phonak members riding their "standard" AL frames and you will
    > see.
    >
    > Update: Mayo's frame is Columbus Starship (AL tubing) prototype
    > (cyclingnews.com). I thought Orbea claims their carbon frame is ~ 890
    > grams (or was it Giant?) already. I am also guessing the cassettes
    > used are all ti (looks uniform in color for the cogs that I can see).

  10. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Mont-Ventoux stage ITT today, from Grahamwatson.com:
    > >
    > > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall?openform&04dauphineSt4

    <snip>

    > Hi, what is going on with the seat stays on Hamilton's bike. If you
    > look at the picture, about the 15th down, it looks like they are taped
    > on. Or is it some type of lug?
    >
    > Life is Good!
    > Jeff

    Apparently his mechanics have discovered the usefulness of duct tape.

    Another Jeff

  11. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    [email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > Hi, what is going on with the seat stays on Hamilton's bike. If you
    > > look at the picture, about the 15th down, it looks like they are taped
    > > on. Or is it some type of lug?

    > That's the signature style of the frame builder (BMC?). Look at the
    > other Phonak members riding their "standard" AL frames and you will
    > see.

    Thanks guys, for the info. I still have a lot to learn.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  12. Ted B

    Ted B Guest

    What get's me about Mayo's frame is the size. It looks absolutely tiny!
    Look at the length of the seatpost. It looks as if he's sitting almost
    directly above the rear hub. Also, look at the bottle/cage for
    perspective. It looks as if you wouldn't have enough space for another
    one on the seat tube even if you wanted one. Looks like this bike is
    meant for riding in the upright position, going uphill *only*.

    --

  13. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    Ted B <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What get's me about Mayo's frame is the size. It looks absolutely tiny!
    > Look at the length of the seatpost. It looks as if he's sitting almost
    > directly above the rear hub. Also, look at the bottle/cage for
    > perspective. It looks as if you wouldn't have enough space for another
    > one on the seat tube even if you wanted one. Looks like this bike is
    > meant for riding in the upright position, going uphill *only*.

    I don't believe Mayo is that short (maybe 5'7"?). This is typical
    modern pro build, two sizes too small to get to a lower aero height -
    not for the faint of heart (or back, or shoulders, ..). The ITL are
    fameous for this. No body goes smaller or lower than Bartoli and
    Rebellion. You will also see many setups riding toe down with full leg
    extension. No KNOPS here.

  14. patch70 wrote:
    > Richard Chan wrote:
    > > Mont-Ventoux stage ITT today, from Grahamwatson.com:
    > > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall-
    > > "]http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/updateframesetcall-
    > > ?openform&04dauphineSt4
    > > He is not riding his carbon but looks like an AL (Mg?) frame with DA8
    > > rings. This must be their lightest setup. Tyler H. also looks like
    > > riding a new frame.

    > Right. I would assume Al given the Pinarello patents on using Mg.

    How could Pinarello have patents on building a bike frame
    with magnesium, when magnesium frames have already been
    built by other companies for years, starting many years ago?

    For example, Merida has been making magnesium frames for years:
    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/roadbike/gallery/files/meridaeditud.asp
    http://www.biketaiwan.com/TBC/TBC_en.asp?cs_no=C04542

    Here's a Kirk Precision magnesium bike from about a dozen
    years ago:
    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/KirkPrecision.html

    Mark McMaster
    [email protected]

  15. On 06/11/2004 07:26 AM, in article
    [email protected], "Jay Hill" <[email protected]>

    See also http://www.bmc-racing.com/

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com