Mayo's spooky-good form

Tim Benzedrine

Guest
While Armonstrong and Hamilton undoubtedly feel good about pegging Mayo so
close on the Dauphine prologue, they shouldn't feel too pleased. Mayo beat
both men, despite having spent yesterday taking a close third in the
leg-sapping Classique des Alpes.

If Armstrong and/or Hamlilton had done that race -- and still placed as
close to Mayo as they did -- then they'd have something to feel good about.
Mayo's the man to watch, now and in the TdF.

"Tim Benzedrine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> While Armonstrong and Hamilton undoubtedly feel good about pegging Mayo so
> close on the Dauphine prologue, they shouldn't feel too pleased. Mayo beat
> both men, despite having spent yesterday taking a close third in the
> leg-sapping Classique des Alpes.

Another one of those people trying to foresee the future through pasta
sauce.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Tim Benzedrine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > While Armonstrong and Hamilton undoubtedly feel good about pegging Mayo so
> > close on the Dauphine prologue, they shouldn't feel too pleased. Mayo beat
> > both men, despite having spent yesterday taking a close third in the
> > leg-sapping Classique des Alpes.

> Another one of those people trying to foresee the future through pasta
> sauce.

It's a prologue people. Usually it doesn't mean much at all. If anything.

Tom

"Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Tim Benzedrine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > While Armonstrong and Hamilton undoubtedly feel good about pegging

Mayo so
> > > close on the Dauphine prologue, they shouldn't feel too pleased. Mayo

beat
> > > both men, despite having spent yesterday taking a close third in the
> > > leg-sapping Classique des Alpes.

> > Another one of those people trying to foresee the future through pasta
> > sauce.

> It's a prologue people. Usually it doesn't mean much at all. If

anything.

> Tom

OOOOOhhhhh NOOOOOOoooooo

It's all over for Lance. He lost 1.5 seconds to Mayo on a 5.4 km prologue.
Hell must have frozen over! The sky is falling! The end of the world is
near!

I guess I'll call up and cancel my DishTV since I only needed it to get OLN
and watch Lance. The $%@!! dish only works about half the time, anyway.
(This is a tornado warning bulletin for
SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.)
DishTV ... when you really need it, it's gone.

Bob C.

On 6 Jun 2004 19:02:02 -0700, Tom Arsenault wrote:

> It's a prologue people. Usually it doesn't mean much at all. If anything.

Agreed, it's far from definitive, but what I found intriguing was that
after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo still had
the legs to win a difficult prologue. My Mayo compliment was partly that he
won, but mostly that his overnight recovery was impressive.

Now, what that means in the TdF, who knows. I'd like to think it means he
will harry Armstrong the whole way, but Mayo has a habit of blowing up on
at least one long mountain stage. He did it last year, and I recall Phil or
Paul mentioning during the coverage that he had done it in prior Spanish
stage races as well.

Tim Benzedrine <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Agreed, it's far from definitive, but what I found intriguing was that
> after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo still
> had the legs to win a difficult prologue. My Mayo compliment was partly
> that he won, but mostly that his overnight recovery was impressive.

Recovery?
Yeah, he recovered enough to race a 5.4km time trial.
A truely impressive feat of endurance ;)

Tim Benzedrine wrote:

> but what I found intriguing was that
> after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo still had
> the legs to win a difficult prologue.

Yes I was surprised at that too. The CdA is a tough race so to win the
DL prologue is pretty impressive.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Agreed, it's far from definitive, but what I found intriguing was that
> > after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo still
> > had the legs to win a difficult prologue. My Mayo compliment was partly
> > that he won, but mostly that his overnight recovery was impressive.

> Recovery?
> Yeah, he recovered enough to race a 5.4km time trial.
> A truely impressive feat of endurance ;)

It's not Mayo was able to get up in the morning, put his butt on the saddle
and ride the thing. It's that he still had enough snap in his legs the day
after a hard race to win the time trial.

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Agreed, it's far from definitive, but what I found intriguing was that
> > > after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo

still
> > > had the legs to win a difficult prologue. My Mayo compliment was

partly
> > > that he won, but mostly that his overnight recovery was impressive.

> > Recovery?
> > Yeah, he recovered enough to race a 5.4km time trial.
> > A truely impressive feat of endurance ;)

> It's not Mayo was able to get up in the morning, put his butt on the

saddle
> and ride the thing. It's that he still had enough snap in his legs the day
> after a hard race to win the time trial.

Impressive, yes - but not just Mayo. The four Phonaks in the top ten also
rode the CdA the day before, with Periero winning and Gutierrez in third.
In fact, seven of the top fifteen riders in the DL prologue finished near
the front in the CdA. It's good to have form... ;-)

Steve Blankenship wrote:

> "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> still

> partly

>>>Recovery?
>>>Yeah, he recovered enough to race a 5.4km time trial.
>>>A truely impressive feat of endurance ;)

>>It's not Mayo was able to get up in the morning, put his butt on the

> saddle
>
>>and ride the thing. It's that he still had enough snap in his legs the day
>>after a hard race to win the time trial.
>>

> Impressive, yes - but not just Mayo. The four Phonaks in the top ten also
> rode the CdA the day before, with Periero winning and Gutierrez in third.
> In fact, seven of the top fifteen riders in the DL prologue finished near
> the front in the CdA. It's good to have form... ;-)

Yeah, my surprise to see Oscar Sevilla in that group. I was forming the
impression that El Niño was washed up.

> Tim Benzedrine wrote:
>
> > but what I found intriguing was that
> > after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo still had
> > the legs to win a difficult prologue.

> Yes I was surprised at that too. The CdA is a tough race so to win the
> DL prologue is pretty impressive.

Fellow Anony's...

The Dauphine Prolougue was a mere 8 minutes. Get a grip OK?
It certaibnly had a tough hill to climb but it was only a 3.5
mile ITT.

After tomorrow (June 8) you can tell us if Mayo really
is Lance's superior in 2004. Good luck.

-Ken

K. J. Papai <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tim Benzedrine wrote:
>>
>> > but what I found intriguing was that
>> > after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo still had
>> > the legs to win a difficult prologue.

>> Yes I was surprised at that too. The CdA is a tough race so to win the
>> DL prologue is pretty impressive.

> Fellow Anony's...

> The Dauphine Prolougue was a mere 8 minutes. Get a grip OK?
> It certaibnly had a tough hill to climb but it was only a 3.5
> mile ITT.

> After tomorrow (June 8) you can tell us if Mayo really
> is Lance's superior in 2004. Good luck.

Ken, can't we wait until October? Please?

> -Ken

Not to mention being 3 weeks away from Tour time...an early peak is not good.

CH

David Off <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tim Benzedrine wrote:
>
> > but what I found intriguing was that
> > after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo still had
> > the legs to win a difficult prologue.

> Yes I was surprised at that too. The CdA is a tough race so to win the
> DL prologue is pretty impressive.

CdA is tough, but remember, Mayo won this prologue last year after
having also contested CdA. And last year he beat Armstrong by 10
seconds. Armstrong came back on the time trial last year to beat Mayo
by 1:26. This prologue hasn't told us much.

[email protected] (chris) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Not to mention being 3 weeks away from Tour time...an early peak is not good.

Mayo does have incredible form right now. His explosiveness in the
early season races reminds me of Armstrong in 2001. Mayo has the
ability to jump away and open a gap. Granted, the competition hasn't
been what it will be in July. Mayo has been racing hard, and maybe he
has peaked too early. But, Mayo looks different to me this year. He
looks stronger. His face isn't showing the same level of suffering on
climbs that he has in the past, and his time trialing seems improved.

I still think that Mayo is another year away from winning the tour.
But, he is definitely scary right now.

The tour is turning into a race of four main contenders; Armstrong,
Ullrich, Hamilton and Mayo, with maybe another wildcard like Vino,
Zubeldia or Heras looking for a podium spot. There is more firepower
in this TDF than any edition that I can remember.

- Marc

Mt wrote:
> The tour is turning into a race of four main contenders; Armstrong,
> Ullrich, Hamilton and Mayo, with maybe another wildcard like Vino,
> Zubeldia or Heras looking for a podium spot. There is more firepower in
> this TDF than any edition that I can remember.

Agreed but would probably throw Simoni on to that list. Maybe I am being
fooled (again) by him but I think he'll do better this year. Perhaps
Basso as well but he looks like he needs to step up a gear in the next
few weeks.

--

Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote:
> K. J. Papai <.com> wrote:

> >> Yes I was surprised at that too. The CdA is a tough race so to win the
> >> DL prologue is pretty impressive.

> > Fellow Anony's...

> > The Dauphine Prolougue was a mere 8 minutes. Get a grip OK?
> > It certaibnly had a tough hill to climb but it was only a 3.5
> > mile ITT.

> > After tomorrow (June 8) you can tell us if Mayo really
> > is Lance's superior in 2004. Good luck.

> Ken, can't we wait until October? Please?

As a fellow expatriot Hoosier I have to ask -- October?
Are you thinking World Champs?

Mayo, Hamilton, Heras, Ullrich, maybe Simoni, maybe Levi L., and maybe Sevilla
will give Lance a real contest next month. No one else really
has a chance.

The top five at the Tour's looking like it'll be the most elite of the decade.

-KJP

"Tim Benzedrine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 6 Jun 2004 19:02:02 -0700, Tom Arsenault wrote:
>
> > It's a prologue people. Usually it doesn't mean much at all. If

anything.

> Agreed, it's far from definitive, but what I found intriguing was that
> after a tough test on Saturday -- the Classique des Alpes -- Mayo still

had
> the legs to win a difficult prologue. My Mayo compliment was partly that

he
> won, but mostly that his overnight recovery was impressive.
>
> Now, what that means in the TdF, who knows. I'd like to think it means he
> will harry Armstrong the whole way, but Mayo has a habit of blowing up on
> at least one long mountain stage. He did it last year, and I recall Phil

or
> Paul mentioning during the coverage that he had done it in prior Spanish
> stage races as well.

The top placings were mostly riders that also raced in the Alps. Why assume
it would hurt performance? This time of year most of the GC guys can put in
a string of hard days, even before they are at their peak.

Our guy from Santa Rosa will surprise! I happened to ride with no too
long ago and he looks "Cut." I think he is in the fitness of his life.

> Mayo, Hamilton, Heras, Ullrich, maybe Simoni, maybe Levi L., and maybe Sevilla
> will give Lance a real contest next month. No one else really
> has a chance.
>
> The top five at the Tour's looking like it'll be the most elite of the decade.
>
> -KJP

You're being fooled...Simoni won't do **** because he's already on the
downslide. It would be nice to see Tyler win, but he won't, Lance is
better still. The fact is, if Lance is close to anyone on form his
head is better; no one racing now has the psyche he has. As for Mayo,
maybe he's got better dope this year...He may win the Tour, though,
just not this year.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not a Lance fan, just realistic.
Lance has the best chance of winning.

CH