Mazzoleni retires!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Star

Jul 6, 2004
He could've just had the big press conference, but he's simply retired.

That's now two Astana riders gone. Are we sure they should be at the Tour?

Dead Star said:
He could've just had the big press conference, but he's simply retired. Pressured into exile by Astana?
Just finished the Giro with the best "form" of his life - what better time to retire?! Why doesn't he just get GUILTY tattooed across his forehead?

Rolfrae said:
Just finished the Giro with the best "form" of his life - what better time to retire?! Why doesn't he just get GUILTY tattooed across his forehead?
That's not the Italian way of doing things I guess!

limerickman said:
DS : this thread is back on topic.

Italian Eddy Mazzoleni has retired from cycling because of a doping investigation, his team Astana said on Monday.

The 34-year-old, who finished third in this year's Giro d'Italia, appeared before the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) on Friday to face questions about a doping probe being conducted by Italian police.

The three-year investigation focuses on doctor Carlo Santuccione, who is alleged to have supplied athletes with prohibited substances.

"Because of the disciplinary proceedings the CONI launched against him and in order not to hurt Astana Cycling Team, Eddy Mazzoleni has decided to end his career with immediate effect," Astana said in a statement.

Mazzoleni was left out of the Tour de France because of his involvement in the probe.

"I closed with Astana because it wasn't right to involve them in events that go back to 2004," Mazzoleni told ANSA. "Much will depend on the outcome of the investigation, but even today I went out to train and I have no intention of giving up."

Mazzoleni is one of several Italian athletes with reported links to Italian doctor Carlo Santuccione, who allegedly provided doping products.

"Eddy Mazzoleni took this decision alone, without any pressure," Astana said in a statement, thanking him "for his honest and loyal attitude," and offering him "support and best wishes for the future."

whiteboytrash said:
"Eddy Mazzoleni took this decision alone, without any pressure," Astana said in a statement, thanking him "for his honest and loyal attitude," and offering him "support and best wishes for the future."
One would assume the 'support' is an undisclosed number of Swiss Franks.

Dead Star said:
?? Why?? He is being investigated for doping allegations dating to 2004. Nothing implicating Astana in that case.

I am not saying that Astana is clean by any stretch of the imagination, but this is old news in terms of Mazzoleni's involvement in 'Oil for Drug'.

Thus, he is not in fact retiring. He is merely closing with Astana. This is not much different than what Basso did for Discovery.
whiteboytrash said:
"I closed with Astana because it wasn't right to involve them in events that go back to 2004," Mazzoleni told ANSA. "Much will depend on the outcome of the investigation, but even today I went out to train and I have no intention of giving up."

Mazzoleni is one of several Italian athletes with reported links to Italian doctor Carlo Santuccione, who allegedly provided doping products.

ilpirata said:
Thus, he is not in fact retiring. He is merely closing with Astana. This is not much different than what Basso did for Discovery.
Once again the Italians are proving to be a joke. He should'nt be allowed to retire until he has been proved guilty of doping anyway. As for Astana well they are still cycling in the past. They are obviously happy with Mazzoleni because of the free coverage he gave them during the Giro. For once i seem to be backing T-mobile and i never thought i'd say that.

Doctor.House said:
Retirements are just another form of doping denial. Look for him back on a bike after this PR mess blows over. Basso too.

Fast Eddy didn't actually retire.... he said that he was withdrawing from Astana and still training....... ie Astana paid him out to sit it out so not to draw attention to the team and he will be rehired at a later date.......

Doc, can you think of another rider who is currently in the form of his life at a relatively advanced age? Clue-just like Honest Eddie he was also caught up in a legal melodrama.

Gregers said:
Doc, can you think of another rider who is currently in the form of his life at a relatively advanced age? Clue-just like Honest Eddie he was also caught up in a legal melodrama.
yes I can.

His intials are CM.

Surely not!!! He's the French champion, riding for a French team in a French race. Everybody knows that the altruistic and highly moral French teams have stopped using. We've been told that, haven't we?

Gregers said:
Surely not!!! He's the French champion, riding for a French team in a French race. Everybody knows that the altruistic and highly moral French teams have stopped using. We've been told that, haven't we?
Not by me.

I suspect Elisa Basso & her husband Eddy too.

NJK said:
Once again the Italians are proving to be a joke. He should'nt be allowed to retire until he has been proved guilty of doping anyway. As for Astana well they are still cycling in the past. They are obviously happy with Mazzoleni because of the free coverage he gave them during the Giro. For once i seem to be backing T-mobile and i never thought i'd say that.
:confused: He hasn't retired. He has left Astana..

Dead Star said:
He could've just had the big press conference, but he's simply retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.