McCann's steel cut oats

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> I generally don't like meat cooked to death in a crock pot.

<snip buncha decoyage>

> cook until the roast is fall apart tender.

Huh?

Besides poetic license someone please explain the difference between
"cooked to death" and "fall apart tender".

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > It was okay; I think I'll try Dee Randall's vinegar trick with it next
> > time -- and soak in water instead of milk.
> >

> Melba,
>
> I do something close to another poster: At dinner time, I put 1:4
> steel cut oats to milk (Actually three milk and one water to prevent
> burning.) in a heavy pot, bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let
> sit covered.

May try that this evening. I'll reduce the amount of milk I use, too.

> So, what is Dee's vinegar trick? Or do I have to ping Dee?

1-3 tsp vinegar with the water - she soaks it in hot water overnight.

> Thanks,

You're welcome.
-Barb
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-19-2006, Yummy! and church review. :)

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here's my post:
> We use a little vinegar (1-3 tsp perhaps) in the warm soaking water that we
> soak the oats in overnight. Done this way, I've read makes them quicker to
> break down and easier to digest.

Shoot, Dee, I don't want them easy to digest. I want them scouring
everything!
--

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > MissMoon wrote:
> > > I buy my whole oats at my local health food store. In Vista we have a
> > > Sprouts and I think last time i paid 78 cents a pound.
> > >
> > > I wish my web site had this much activity in the forums...sigh. Almost
> > > all the posts are from Guido and myself.

> > Unless you're in the C-Menta Shooz business the name "Guido" definitely
> > ain't a draw... "Miss Moon" ain't any great booty shaker either.

> Lol...and if they have a kid they could give it the moniker "Guinea
> Moon"...

Impressive, I like that...

Guinea Moon Lyrics

Guinea Moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Guinea Moon
You know just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And when I looked to the Moon it turned to gold

Guinea Moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And when I looked the Moon had turned to gold

Guinea moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Guinea moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own
---

Sheldon DOO WOP

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:23:57 -0800, Ranee Mueller
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Slow Cooked Pot Roast with Mustard & Horseradish Gravy from Fine Cooking

> 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish (I used about 4 times this amount)
> 1/2 teaspoon grainy prepared mustard (again, 4 times this)

That recipe was misleading. How can they label something
"w/Horseradish and Mustard Gravy" where those two ingredients use
a half-teaspoon each for 5+ pounds of other ingredients?

Using the recipe as published, how could you even taste the
mustard or horseradish in there? I'd probably use at least two
tablespoons of each.

Half-teaspoon, pbbBBBT!

-sw

On Mon 20 Feb 2006 04:32:23p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Here's my post:
>> We use a little vinegar (1-3 tsp perhaps) in the warm soaking water
>> that we soak the oats in overnight. Done this way, I've read makes
>> them quicker to break down and easier to digest.

> Shoot, Dee, I don't want them easy to digest. I want them scouring
> everything!

Eat them raw. That should work.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

In article <[email protected]>,
Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> I soaked the oats in milk overnight in the fridge (I cook my oatmeal
> with milk rather than water) and nuked it at 100% power for about 3-4
> minutes (2 cups milk, 1 cup oats) in a tall 1-quart Pyrex measuring
> cup/pitcher, then for about 20 minutes at 40% power. I sprinkled Butter
> Buds on top, stirred in a small handful of dried cherries, and sprinkled
> some brown sugar on top.

I like pan-roasting the oats first (with a teaspoon or two of butter),
about 2 mins. Gives them a nice nutty taste. Also try subbing 1/2 cup
buttermilk for an equal amount of the milk.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:23:57 -0800, Ranee Mueller
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Slow Cooked Pot Roast with Mustard & Horseradish Gravy from Fine Cooking

> > 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish (I used about 4 times this amount)
> > 1/2 teaspoon grainy prepared mustard (again, 4 times this)

> That recipe was misleading. How can they label something
> "w/Horseradish and Mustard Gravy" where those two ingredients use
> a half-teaspoon each for 5+ pounds of other ingredients?

Evidently, they have more sensitive palates than you and I. :)

> Using the recipe as published, how could you even taste the
> mustard or horseradish in there? I'd probably use at least two
> tablespoons of each.

I tried it with a heavier hand like you suggest, and it was
overpowering and sour. Also, the horseradish and mustard aren't added
to the whole mix, but rather after reducing the liquid into a gravy, so
even the half teaspon isn't _quite_ as small amount as you'd think.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> My food co-op had a coupon special for the tin of McCann's oats and I've
> been curious about them, so I bought. <cough> $7.55 for the tin, less
> the coupon. Directions are for stovetop prep but I don't get to a very
> low simmer on my stove and I'm used to cooking my oatmeal in the
> microwave.
>
> I soaked the oats in milk overnight in the fridge (I cook my oatmeal
> with milk rather than water) and nuked it at 100% power for about 3-4
> minutes (2 cups milk, 1 cup oats) in a tall 1-quart Pyrex measuring
> cup/pitcher, then for about 20 minutes at 40% power. I sprinkled Butter
> Buds on top, stirred in a small handful of dried cherries, and sprinkled
> some brown sugar on top.
>
> It was okay; I think I'll try Dee Randall's vinegar trick with it next
> time -- and soak in water instead of milk.
>
> Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. (With a nod and a tip
> of my hat to Moose.)

If you really want to bring out the flavor try toasting them as the
first step as in this version:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17140,00.html

George <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you really want to bring out the flavor try toasting them as the
> first step as in this version:

> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17140,00.html

Inspired by the thread here, and Alton Brown's recent show, I bought some
steel cut oats (Arrowhead Mills) and tried just the oats and water in a
1 to 4 proportion in the crockpot overnight. Not bad, but bland. Next time
I'm going to try toasting them a bit first, and maybe add some raisins or
dried apricots or something. It seemed like it needed less sweetening
than the old fashioned (rolled oats) oatmeal I usually make.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

[email protected] wrote:

> Inspired by the thread here, and Alton Brown's recent show, I bought some
> steel cut oats (Arrowhead Mills) and tried just the oats and water in a
> 1 to 4 proportion in the crockpot overnight. Not bad, but bland. Next time
> I'm going to try toasting them a bit first, and maybe add some raisins or
> dried apricots or something. It seemed like it needed less sweetening
> than the old fashioned (rolled oats) oatmeal I usually make.

I've read most of this thread and haven't seen any reference to salt.
Maybe everyone assumes that everyone else knows? Just to state the
obvious then, salt improves oats. -aem

aem wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Inspired by the thread here, and Alton Brown's recent show, I bought some
>>steel cut oats (Arrowhead Mills) and tried just the oats and water in a
>>1 to 4 proportion in the crockpot overnight. Not bad, but bland. Next time
>>I'm going to try toasting them a bit first, and maybe add some raisins or
>>dried apricots or something. It seemed like it needed less sweetening
>>than the old fashioned (rolled oats) oatmeal I usually make.
>>

> I've read most of this thread and haven't seen any reference to salt.
> Maybe everyone assumes that everyone else knows? Just to state the
> obvious then, salt improves oats. -aem

I mentioned adding salt 2 days ago, but nobody listens...

Best regards, ;-)
Bob

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:30:55 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
wrote:
[snip]
>I mentioned adding salt 2 days ago, but nobody listens...

Did you say something?

The "RD&H" Ranger

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:03:40 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My food co-op had a coupon special for the tin of McCann's oats and I've
>been curious about them, so I bought. <cough> $7.55 for the tin, less
>the coupon.

See if you can find a store that carries Bob's Red Mill products. I
get bags of BRM steel cut oats for $2.79. One bag will fill a
McCann's tin.

I cut the directions off of one of the bags and taped it to the
McCann's container (I keep wanting to call it a can, but that would
lead to who knows how many silly remarks, and this IS a serious
newsgroup. <SG>

Peace,
Carol, who loves this stuff

On 20 Feb 2006 06:09:37 -0800, "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The non stop stirring is why I decided to try the slow cooker route...
>it works very well. I made enough for five days worth. A portion
>reheats nicely in the microwave... I discovered that adding a generous
>splash of milk to the bowl makes the reheating process flawless, even
>renews the crust that formed around the crock... cover with plastic
>wrap of course. I like my steel cut oats with a good sprinkle of
>Penzeys Viet Cong cinnamon and a good squirt of honey

Bob's Red Mill has a different technique. Add the oats to boiling
water, stir until it comes back to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to
a simmer, and cook for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Much
better than the McCann's procedure if'n you ask me.

I make a double batch (way more efficient than making one serving per
day), and pour it into a 9x5" bread pan. After it's cooled, I cut it
into 8 portions. Take one out for each serving and nuke it.

I sweeten mine with Splenda, then add a touch of cinnamon. Sometimes,
a splash of vanilla.

Peace,
Carol

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:24:49 GMT, jay <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for the information on the slow beef. I was tempted to do the Beef
>Bourgiunon (bourguignonne/bourguignon) that was posted yesterday. It
>sounded pretty good. I have never had much luck with the crock pot.

Here's a gooooood recipe for the crockpot.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef crockpot
sandwiches

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed
1 1/2 cups water
7 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
in large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir
well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into
a storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large
saucepan. Pour strained broth over meat, and cook gently until heated
through.

Serve meat slices, piled high on crusty rolls, with heated broth for
dipping.

Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

Source:
"adapted from an adaptation by Beth Jarvis"

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I make a double batch (way more efficient than making one serving per
> day), and pour it into a 9x5" bread pan. After it's cooled, I cut it
> into 8 portions. Take one out for each serving and nuke it.

Have you ever sliced it into thin slices and fried it?

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:03:40 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My food co-op had a coupon special for the tin of McCann's oats

> See if you can find a store that carries Bob's Red Mill products. I
> get bags of BRM steel cut oats for $2.79. One bag will fill a
> McCann's tin.

There's a store finder on their website:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/storefinder.php

Looks like Dierberg's in St. Louis carries them, I'll have to check it
out.

Brian

won't shut up.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:24:39 -0500, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> I make a double batch (way more efficient than making one serving per
>> day), and pour it into a 9x5" bread pan. After it's cooled, I cut it
>> into 8 portions. Take one out for each serving and nuke it.

>Have you ever sliced it into thin slices and fried it?

Yup. That's exactly why I first tried the bread pan. I didn't really
care for the result, but I fault my technique, since other people get
a good meal that way. I used butter.

Carol