McDonald's "drive" through.

dtmeister

Guest
Okay, I don't go there very often. But I rode to work tonight and
then walked to the Australia day celebrations at the Perth fore-shore.
On the way back home, I felt like McDonald's. I didn't have a lock,
so I queued up with the cages at the "drive" through (maybe that's
the problem?). I finally get to the window, and I'm told that I'll
be served "this" time, "but in future, please don't use the drive
through whilst on a bike!"

I ask why, but the pleb at the window cites company policy, and I don't
see the point in arguing with the poor person who has to enforce this
stupidity.

Why on earth would you make a policy like this!? I take up less space
than a cage. It's a damn queue! Everyone is going painfully slow, I'm
not holding up anyone!

Very ****** off, going email them, and I'm not going back. That'll cost
them a whole $30 a year...

--
..dt

they dont want skinny, fit looking people loitering about the place!
They have an inage to uphold :D:D:D

thinking about it, maybe they don't want a bunch of up-turned BMXs filling out the drive thru, as the customers cram their Mac-happy's in their backpacks.

dtmeister said:
[...]

Other things that are precluded by "Policy" (yet are still highly entertaining) are:

1. Reversing through the drivethrough (correct direction, but with car facing backwards - make sure you have a passenger or you can;t order).

2. Walking through in car formation, 2 in front, 2 in the back seat (and doing early Hollywood style driving actions).

They'll always threaten to get the manager (who is about 21) or call the police, at which point you can argue the fact that a bicycle is a vehicle and has every right to go through a drive through (and of course if they did hassle you, we'd all be there the next day on bikes).

Marx SS <[email protected]> writes:

> thinking about it, maybe they don't want a bunch of up-turned BMXs
> filling out the drive thru, as the customers cram their Mac-happy's in
> their backpacks.

Imagine a bunch of any size turning up at a drive through.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Euan said:
Imagine a bunch of any size turning up at a drive through.

That's already been tried at South Melb Maccas. Staff weren't amused at all by the 100+ happy loonies. Stupid really, think of all the extra business from carbo-loading thirsty cyclists. Think I'd sooner prefer the Dirty Bird or Hungry Jacques.

Shabby said:
They'll always threaten to get the manager (who is about 21) or call the police, at which point you can argue the fact that a bicycle is a vehicle and has every right to go through a drive through

No, you don't. The drive through might look like public road, but it's actually their property. If they don't want certain types of vehicles using it, then it's their call.

SomeGuy said:
No, you don't. The drive through might look like public road, but it's actually their property. If they don't want certain types of vehicles using it, then it's their call.

Then they should be explicit about which types of vehicles are "allowed" to use the drive-through facility. Are motorbikes precluded also?

If it's private property then road rules don't apply?????

dtmeister said:
snip...
On the way back home, I felt like McDonald's. I didn't have a lock,
so I queued up with the cages at the "drive" through (maybe that's
the problem?). I finally get to the window, and I'm told that I'll
be served "this" time, "but in future, please don't use the drive
through whilst on a bike!"

I ask why, but the pleb at the window cites company policy, ..snip....

Why on earth would you make a policy like this!?
--
..dt
It's Liability...nothing else....we dont get in the way, we dont hold them up,no BUT... its simple that Maccas will not be seen fostering you or me riding off trying to eat a Mac or gulping a supersize coke and fumbling fries, whilst entering the roadway and being a danger to ourselves or anyone else...

Same rationale behind a barservice refusal to give a drunk a drink....whilst we may not be drunk or in any less control than anyone else whilst not eating a Maccas, we are adding a potential law suit against Maccas if we did enter the road, or whislt still on Macca's property, hit some one then try and claim that Maccas shouldnt have served us' in the drive through...

Sure you can go inside fill up your mits and ride off eating etc...crash and come to grief...but then trying to sue or join Maccas in the suit would be fruitless...not so from the drive through ...got it!

rooman said:
[...]

Wasn't there a lawsuit a few years ago in US where a woman spilled her coffee she got from a drive thru, crashed and then sued?

On 2006-01-27, warrwych wrote:
> If it's private property then road rules don't apply?????

Pretty much. It's why you get, for example, ten year old kids driving on
farms as soon as they're tall enough to reach the pedals and the
steering wheel at the same time. Having said that, if you do things on
private property that are against the law if they were done on public
roads, an insurance company might look askance at any claim you might
make for an accident.

On 2006-01-27, sinus <[email protected]> wrote:
> Wasn't there a lawsuit a few years ago in US where a woman spilled her
> coffee she got from a drive thru, crashed and then sued?

No. That lawsuit was about the woman ordering coffee, pulling over,
trying to add milk or cream or something, and spilling it on her lap.
McDonalds had their coffee at a very high temperature, such that it
caused her third (I think) degree burns in very short order.

McDonalds was given punitive damages in this case because they'd been
warned about the high temperature of their coffee in the past.

rooman <[email protected]> wrote:

> dtmeister Wrote:
> > snip...
> > On the way back home, I felt like McDonald's. I didn't have a lock,
> > so I queued up with the cages at the "drive" through (maybe that's
> > the problem?). I finally get to the window, and I'm told that I'll
> > be served "this" time, "but in future, please don't use the drive
> > through whilst on a bike!"
> >
> > I ask why, but the pleb at the window cites company policy, ..snip....
> >
> > Why on earth would you make a policy like this!?
> > --
> > ..dt

> It's Liability...nothing else....we dont get in the way, we dont hold
> them up,no BUT... its simple that Maccas will not be seen fostering you
> or me riding off trying to eat a Mac or gulping a supersize coke and
> fumbling fries, whilst entering the roadway and being a danger to
> ourselves or anyone else...

but it's ok to drive while eating a big mac and drinking a coke?

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:40:41 +1100, sinus wrote:

> Wasn't there a lawsuit a few years ago in US where a woman spilled her
> coffee she got from a drive thru, crashed and then sued?

If it's the commonly cited one, then no, she was a passenger. She held the
coffee between her legs and it spilled when she removed the lid, burning
her badly. For more info, have a read of this -
<http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm>

There may of course be another case similar to the one you mentioned given
how litigation happy they are over there.

Graeme

"warrwych" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Then they should be explicit about which types of vehicles are
> "allowed" to use the drive-through facility. Are motorbikes precluded
> also?
>
> If it's private property then road rules don't apply?????

Hungree Jaques has never turned me away on the motorbike. I have even gone
through there on the bicycle, and happily found that the Elite Cuissi
Titanium bottlecage holds a medium hungry jacques coke ok too :)

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:09:50 +1100
warrwych <[email protected]> wrote:
> Then they should be explicit about which types of vehicles are
> "allowed" to use the drive-through facility. Are motorbikes precluded
> also?

I've never tried at McD as I can't stand the stuff, but Red Rooster's
never batted an eyelid.

Did ask me to turn the bike off as they couldn't hear me over the
noise though....

Zebee

> For more info, have a read of this - <http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm>

One thing not mentioned in the articles was that McD have still to pay
Liebeck -anything-.

--
Chris

"warrwych" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> SomeGuy Wrote:
>> No, you don't. The drive through might look like public road, but it's
>> actually their property. If they don't want certain types of vehicles
>> using it, then it's their call.

> Then they should be explicit about which types of vehicles are
> "allowed" to use the drive-through facility. Are motorbikes precluded
> also?
>
> If it's private property then road rules don't apply?????
>

> --
> warrwych

If you're ordering one of the meal deals, how in the hell are you going to
manage the drink carton they give you without spilling any while trying to
manouvre your bike weather it's a bicycle or motorbike? I don't think the
drink bottle holders on a bike would allow the cap on the carton to stay on.
I'm damn sure i won't be sticking it into a backpack.

DJ

On 2006-01-27, DJ (aka Bruce)
> If you're ordering one of the meal deals, how in the hell are you going to
> manage the drink carton they give you without spilling any while trying to
> manouvre your bike weather it's a bicycle or motorbike?

You carry a computer with you, strapped to the rack, and you open the
cup holder in the top tray of the computer, and put your cup in there.
Duh!

--
TimC