McDonald's Fries

"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
>> on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was ...
>> I still don't get it.

> Waitaminnit...Mickey D's burgers are not "sliders." To
> be a true, honest-to-Zeus "slider," a burger HAS to come
> from a White Castle.
>
> Bob M.

Oh yes... It has to come from White Castle. My crew calls them Belly
Bombers.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
>>> on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was ...
>>> I still don't get it.

>> Waitaminnit...Mickey D's burgers are not "sliders." To
>> be a true, honest-to-Zeus "slider," a burger HAS to come
>> from a White Castle.

> Heh, I thought they were talking about White Castle.
>
> nancy

I think we've all gotten confused on the fast food facts ;)

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
> news:[email protected]:

>> They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
>> on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was
>> ... I still don't get it.

> It's the greasy onions ;)

(laugh!) Hey, I wasn't knocking it, if it makes someone happy,
then it's okay by me. Just at the time they opened one where I
used to live, they were running those ads about people having them
flown in for their weddings, stuff like that.

nancy

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> > "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> >> I made the mistake of eating there a few times when I started working
> >> on the
> >> road. It seemed like a good idea to grab something fast. I found the
> >> meals generally unsatisfying and usually ended up getting cramps
> >> after eating it.

> > They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
> > on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was
> > ... I still don't get it.
> >
> > nancy

> It's the greasy onions ;)

Fried Onions?

I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I confess
to only having heard about them here and a faint recollection of a segment
about it on the Food Network. More recently there is the movie someone and
Kumar go to White Castle, which I have caught bits and pieces of and intend
to watch it from the start the next time I catch the listing in time.

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
>> news:[email protected]:

>>> They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
>>> on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was
>>> ... I still don't get it.

>> It's the greasy onions ;)

> (laugh!) Hey, I wasn't knocking it, if it makes someone happy,
> then it's okay by me. Just at the time they opened one where I
> used to live, they were running those ads about people having them
> flown in for their weddings, stuff like that.
>
> nancy

Did you see the movie "White Palace"? It was filmed in St. Louis. It
starred Susan Sarandon and James Spader. She actually worked at the old
White Castle but I guess they couldn't use the name in the movie. It was
great when they were here. Sarandon leased the house across the street
from a friend of mine. We used to sit on the porch with cocktails watching
her husband play with her kids. She is a fabulous actress. I don't much
like Spader but that's me. Anyway, the film was pretty good.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

> Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:
>

>> > "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote

>> > They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I
>> > was on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla
>> > was ... I still don't get it.
>> >
>> > nancy

>> It's the greasy onions ;)

> Fried Onions?
>
> I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I
> confess to only having heard about them here and a faint recollection
> of a segment about it on the Food Network. More recently there is the
> movie someone and Kumar go to White Castle, which I have caught bits
> and pieces of and intend to watch it from the start the next time I
> catch the listing in time.

I don't know the entire history so you can't quote me on it. I *think*
White Castle originated here in St. Louis. I have no idea how they cook
the onions. I would assume on the griddle with the little square burgers.
The taste is unique in a fast food way. Quite frankly they are fantastic
when you're coming off a really bad binge. I usually can down 6 of them
with no problem with some of their deep fried onion chips. Gawd... the
gastric distress a few hours later is horrendous. Some people smother 'em
in chili etc. That's about all I know. They now sell them frozen. The
frozen aren't worth the effort IMO. We have a WC close. I get my fix
yearly.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> >> It's the greasy onions ;)

> > Fried Onions?
> >
> > I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I
> > confess to only having heard about them here and a faint recollection
> > of a segment about it on the Food Network. More recently there is the
> > movie someone and Kumar go to White Castle, which I have caught bits
> > and pieces of and intend to watch it from the start the next time I
> > catch the listing in time.

> I don't know the entire history so you can't quote me on it. I *think*
> White Castle originated here in St. Louis. I have no idea how they cook
> the onions. I would assume on the griddle with the little square burgers.
> The taste is unique in a fast food way. Quite frankly they are fantastic
> when you're coming off a really bad binge. I usually can down 6 of them
> with no problem with some of their deep fried onion chips. Gawd... the
> gastric distress a few hours later is horrendous.

Deep fried onion chips??? I was thinking fried onions, maybe onion rings. Deep
fried onion chips sounds like something I don't want to know about. I
inherited the family gall bladder.

> Some people smother 'em
> in chili etc. That's about all I know. They now sell them frozen. The
> frozen aren't worth the effort IMO. We have a WC close. I get my fix
> yearly.

I confess that I have never even seen a White Castle. For the record, the best
hamburger I ever had in my life was in one of those old style metal sided
diners on (I believe ) Rte.15, about 10 miles north of Harrisburg PA. 15 years
ago. It was fantastic. I find it worth my while to try places like that and
luck out every once in a while with an outstanding burger than to get the old
reliable piece of sawdust that tastes just like the last piece of sawdust.

On Fri 17 Feb 2006 05:17:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
> posted news:[email protected]:

>>> It's the greasy onions ;)

>> Fried Onions?
>>
>> I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I
>> confess to only having heard about them here and a faint recollection
>> of a segment about it on the Food Network. More recently there is the
>> movie someone and Kumar go to White Castle, which I have caught bits
>> and pieces of and intend to watch it from the start the next time I
>> catch the listing in time.

> I don't know the entire history so you can't quote me on it. I *think*
> White Castle originated here in St. Louis. I have no idea how they cook
> the onions. I would assume on the griddle with the little square
> burgers. The taste is unique in a fast food way. Quite frankly they are
> fantastic when you're coming off a really bad binge. I usually can down
> 6 of them with no problem with some of their deep fried onion chips.
> Gawd... the gastric distress a few hours later is horrendous. Some
> people smother 'em in chili etc. That's about all I know. They now sell
> them frozen. The frozen aren't worth the effort IMO. We have a WC
> close. I get my fix yearly.

White Castle System, Inc. was formed in Wichita, Kansas, in 1921. They use
shredded, reconstitued dried onions that are cooked on the grill before the
meat patties are added.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA.

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The way it affects you and me is that other places go belly up when the

masses
> go to the golden arches instead of to them.

Nope, doesn't affect me; I cook better food myself than what
I'd get in any of those places that will go Tango Uniform simply
because Mickey D's draws in those "masses" who might otherwise
spend their $4.99 for a combo elsewhere...

Bob M.

Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

>> > Fried Onions?
>> >
>> > I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I
>> > confess to only having heard about them here and a faint
>> > recollection of a segment about it on the Food Network. More
>> > recently there is the movie someone and Kumar go to White Castle,
>> > which I have caught bits and pieces of and intend to watch it from
>> > the start the next time I catch the listing in time.

>> I don't know the entire history so you can't quote me on it. I
>> *think* White Castle originated here in St. Louis. I have no idea
>> how they cook the onions. I would assume on the griddle with the
>> little square burgers. The taste is unique in a fast food way. Quite
>> frankly they are fantastic when you're coming off a really bad binge.
>> I usually can down 6 of them with no problem with some of their deep
>> fried onion chips. Gawd... the gastric distress a few hours later is
>> horrendous.

> Deep fried onion chips??? I was thinking fried onions, maybe onion
> rings. Deep fried onion chips sounds like something I don't want to
> know about. I inherited the family gall bladder.
>

>> Some people smother 'em
>> in chili etc. That's about all I know. They now sell them frozen.
>> The frozen aren't worth the effort IMO. We have a WC close. I get my
>> fix yearly.

> I confess that I have never even seen a White Castle. For the record,
> the best hamburger I ever had in my life was in one of those old style
> metal sided diners on (I believe ) Rte.15, about 10 miles north of
> Harrisburg PA. 15 years ago. It was fantastic. I find it worth my
> while to try places like that and luck out every once in a while with
> an outstanding burger than to get the old reliable piece of sawdust
> that tastes just like the last piece of sawdust.

Without a doubt the best burgers are at Al's diner, Dressels Pub and
O'Connels in St. Louis. WC is fast food.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> hitched up their panties
and posted news:[email protected]:

> On Fri 17 Feb 2006 05:17:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan?
>
>> Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
>> posted news:[email protected]:

>>> Fried Onions?
>>>
>>> I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I
>>> confess to only having heard about them here and a faint
>>> recollection of a segment about it on the Food Network. More
>>> recently there is the movie someone and Kumar go to White Castle,
>>> which I have caught bits and pieces of and intend to watch it from
>>> the start the next time I catch the listing in time.

>> I don't know the entire history so you can't quote me on it. I
>> *think* White Castle originated here in St. Louis. I have no idea
>> how they cook the onions. I would assume on the griddle with the
>> little square burgers. The taste is unique in a fast food way. Quite
>> frankly they are fantastic when you're coming off a really bad binge.
>> I usually can down 6 of them with no problem with some of their deep
>> fried onion chips. Gawd... the gastric distress a few hours later is
>> horrendous. Some people smother 'em in chili etc. That's about all I
>> know. They now sell them frozen. The frozen aren't worth the effort
>> IMO. We have a WC close. I get my fix yearly.

> White Castle System, Inc. was formed in Wichita, Kansas, in 1921. They
> use shredded, reconstitued dried onions that are cooked on the grill
> before the meat patties are added.

Thanks for the info Wayne. I've never researched it. Actually, I eat there
once a year so there was no point in researching until this thread came up.
Thanks again for the info.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:15:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Every crop is different, and within the category of any given crop, the
>growing methods vary according to the intended customer. You and I see far
>more imperfect potatoes in the grocery store than McD would ever accept.

Yeah - because they've been shipped, bagged, palletized and
handled a thousand different ways before they finally make it the
grocery store produce isle. And then they're handled a few more
times before they hit the plate.

-sw

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:17:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Far more chemicals than most farms use. Choose to believe it, or not.
>Yawn......

I choose not to believe everything claims as fact, especially when
it comes to fast food, thank you. Browse on over to alt.fast-food
and you'll see all sorts of lunatics claiming that fast-food is
from made from ground up, hydrolyzed aliens.

And BTW, it's <yawn>

-sw

On Fri 17 Feb 2006 06:50:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> hitched up their panties
> and posted news:[email protected]:
>
>> On Fri 17 Feb 2006 05:17:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan?
>>
>>> Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
>>> posted news:[email protected]:

>>> I don't know the entire history so you can't quote me on it. I
>>> *think* White Castle originated here in St. Louis. I have no idea
>>> how they cook the onions. I would assume on the griddle with the
>>> little square burgers. The taste is unique in a fast food way. Quite
>>> frankly they are fantastic when you're coming off a really bad binge.
>>> I usually can down 6 of them with no problem with some of their deep
>>> fried onion chips. Gawd... the gastric distress a few hours later is
>>> horrendous. Some people smother 'em in chili etc. That's about all I
>>> know. They now sell them frozen. The frozen aren't worth the effort
>>> IMO. We have a WC close. I get my fix yearly.

>> White Castle System, Inc. was formed in Wichita, Kansas, in 1921. They
>> use shredded, reconstitued dried onions that are cooked on the grill
>> before the meat patties are added.
>>

> Thanks for the info Wayne. I've never researched it. Actually, I eat
> there once a year so there was no point in researching until this thread
> came up. Thanks again for the info.

I always thought they originated in Columbus, OH, but they didn't move
their headquarters there until 1934. I lived many years in the Cleveland
area (~120 miles from Columbus), but we didn't see White Castle restaurants
in Cleveland until the 1980s. Earlier, we had Royal Castle, which have
been gone for decades. As a kid, when we lived in St. Louis, my favorite
was actually White Tower which is long gone. None of these types of chains
exist in Phoenix.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Bob Myers wrote:

> Nope, doesn't affect me; I cook better food myself than what
> I'd get in any of those places that will go Tango Uniform simply
> because Mickey D's draws in those "masses" who might otherwise
> spend their $4.99 for a combo elsewhere...

Same here, except I worked on the road for 28 years. It was a PITA to make a
lunch before my early start at work, and aside from having to keep a lunch in
a sometimes hot vehicle, I needed a place to stop anyway. Instead of brown
bagging it I ate lunches and suppers in restaurants. IMO fast foods joints
drag the quality of food available to their level, McD's being right near the
bottom.

I just can't imagine going out to McD's as a dinner out. I can understand it
if a busy family is en route to something and has to stop for something fast,
but as a "dinner out"? Scary.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:17:23 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Far more chemicals than most farms use. Choose to believe it, or not.
>>Yawn......

> I choose not to believe everything claims as fact, especially when
> it comes to fast food, thank you. Browse on over to alt.fast-food
> and you'll see all sorts of lunatics claiming that fast-food is
> from made from ground up, hydrolyzed aliens.
>
> And BTW, it's <yawn>
>
> -sw

Well, my info came from a book by an author who actually visited farmers out
in Idaho who were under contract solely with McDonalds, to grow spuds whose
future was french fries. They described in great detail what they applied to
the plants & soil, how often, and how this compared with other farming
methods. Does this qualify as truth? If not, I'd love to know if there's
anything at all that you believe, and what your criteria are.

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in news:43F73FDF.113D3615
@sympatico.ca:

> Same here, except I worked on the road for 28 years.

Did it bother you when the cars went whizzing by?

Bwahahaha!!!!!

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:59:25 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, my info came from a book by an author who actually visited farmers out
>in Idaho who were under contract solely with McDonalds, to grow spuds whose
>future was french fries. They described in great detail what they applied to
>the plants & soil, how often, and how this compared with other farming
>methods.

I read the book "Fast Food Nation", too. But I don't recall
Schlosser comparing farming methods the way you describe.

>Does this qualify as truth? If not, I'd love to know if there's
>anything at all that you believe, and what your criteria are.

<yawn>

-sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:59:25 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Well, my info came from a book by an author who actually visited farmers
>>out
>>in Idaho who were under contract solely with McDonalds, to grow spuds
>>whose
>>future was french fries. They described in great detail what they applied
>>the plants & soil, how often, and how this compared with other farming
>>methods.

> I read the book "Fast Food Nation", too. But I don't recall
> Schlosser comparing farming methods the way you describe.
>
>>Does this qualify as truth? If not, I'd love to know if there's
>>anything at all that you believe, and what your criteria are.

> <yawn>
>
> -sw

Wrong book. I'm referring to "The Botany of Desire". This, combined with 35
years of gardening, and following pesticide shenanigans via a wide range of
sources (gov't, chem industry, farm industry, environmental groups). You
tend to learn something when you stay with something long enough.

Dave Smith wrote:

> I just can't imagine going out to McD's as a dinner out. I can understand

it
> if a busy family is en route to something and has to stop for something

fast,
> but as a "dinner out"? Scary.

Some years ago I used to spend weekends at the beach with a family that had
a house in SW Michigan. We'd ocassionally drop by a fast food place in the
SW Michigan - NE Indiana area for some burgers or such. On Sundays we'd see
LOTS of families at these joints eating their post - church meals at these
places...of course factoring in the dullard hillybilly demographics and the
paucity of decent eating places in that particular area I guess I can
understand this "phenomenon".

--
Best
Greg