McEwen bashed by thugs at Indy

Shabby

Mar 13, 2003
Cyclist McEwen bashed by thugs at Indy
October 24, 2005 - 4:14PM

Leading Australian cyclist Robbie McEwen is sporting a black eye after being bashed by three men during the Gold Coast Indy motor racing carnival on the weekend.

McEwen said he was targeted by the group while walking to a cab rank near Kurrawa Surf Club, at Broadbeach, around 2am on Saturday.

He had been out having dinner and drinks with friends.

McEwen, who has a house on the Queensland tourist strip, said he did not know why he had been attacked.

"There were three guys walking towards me and as we got level one of them king-hit me," he said.

"I don't know if (the attack) was an attempted mugging but it was definitely a cowardly act.

"I lost my footing after getting punched but managed to get back up and win the fight by 50 metres.

"I might have to look at an athletics career if cycling fails."

McEwen suffered a bruised cheek and swollen lip - as well as a black left eye - as a result of the attack.

The Tour De France green jersey winner said he was disappointed to see random bashings occurring in his home state after returning from a hectic cycling season in Europe.

He was in the middle of a 10 day break from training on the Gold Coast with his family.

"It's disappointing that there are young guys out there with nothing better to do than to try to ruin someone else's night," the 33-year-old said.

"Still, it didn't ruin my weekend at the Indy."

Queensland Police had earlier praised the behaviour of motor racing fans following a record four day attendance for the showpiece event.

Police said the number of incidents at the Indy was low "for an event of this size".

"The majority of arrests have been for public order related incidents," police operation commander Inspector Alistair Dawson said on Sunday.

On 2005-10-24, Shabby (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
> Leading Australian cyclist Robbie McEwen is sporting a black eye after
> being bashed by three men during the Gold Coast Indy motor racing
> carnival on the weekend.

Oh? Is there some motor racing thing on?

Probably explains the amount of idiots spinning their wheels I've been
seeing over the last couple of days. Lusers who think they have the
same skills that the racers have.

--
TimC
'It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity and incumbency.'
-- George W. Bush. June 14, 2001, to Swedish PM Goran Perrson,
unaware that a live television camera was still rolling.

Shabby said:
"It's disappointing that there are young guys out there with nothing better to do than to try to ruin someone else's night," the 33-year-old said.

"Still, it didn't ruin my weekend at the Indy."

At least Robbie showed more grace that his sh!thead attackers. :mad:

cfsmtb said:
At least Robbie showed more grace that his sh!thead attackers. :mad:

"I lost my footing after getting punched but managed to get back up and win the fight by 50 metres."

aeek said:
"I lost my footing after getting punched but managed to get back up and win the fight by 50 metres."

Yeah, but they fecking started it. :mad:

While I think it is terrible that Robbie got hit, if you said to me "An Aussie professional cyclist got king hit in an "unprovoked" attack, who was it?" I would have said Robbie McEwen without a shadow of doubt. The man has a reputation for having a big mouth and I just wonder if it was entirely "unprovoked" or whether Robbie had put his $0.02 in.

nitrous said:
While I think it is terrible that Robbie got hit, if you said to me "An Aussie professional cyclist got king hit in an "unprovoked" attack, who was it?" I would have said Robbie McEwen without a shadow of doubt. The man has a reputation for having a big mouth and I just wonder if it was entirely "unprovoked" or whether Robbie had put his $0.02 in.

he forgot to mention the flying elbows and headbutting as they passed.
bet he was emphatically pointing to his 'chest' as he ran off :D

bummer he got hit and all sounds wierd but it doesnt sound like 'the whole story' either

flyingdutch said:
he forgot to mention the flying elbows and headbutting as they passed.
bet he was emphatically pointing to his 'chest' as he ran off :D
r

He was just leaning on the other bloke with his head and elbows so he could stay upright......

nitrous wrote:
> While I think it is terrible that Robbie got hit, if you said to me "An
> Aussie professional cyclist got king hit in an "unprovoked" attack, who
> was it?" I would have said Robbie McEwen without a shadow of doubt. The
> man has a reputation for having a big mouth and I just wonder if it was
> entirely "unprovoked" or whether Robbie had put his $0.02 in.
>
>

Didn't Stewey get wacked with a windscreen wiper?
It must be some kind of initiation for Tour riders.

Marty