McEwen could get eliminated tonight?!

jazmo

New Member
Jan 19, 2004
Interesting insight on cyclingnews.com

"Claude Criquielion, one of the Lotto-Domo team directors, is concerned that Robbie McEwen could be eliminated during tomorrow's Alpe d'Huez time trial. With the time limit set at 33% and a winning time for the 15.5 km uphill test expected to be around 40 minutes, McEwen will have to finish within 13 minutes of the victor. "That means that he will have to give full gas from the first metres," said Criquielion. "

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul20news2

Just doing a rough calculation.

On stage 12 Castelsarrasin - La Mongie, there was 27.5 km of climbing with an average gradient of around 6.6%. Robbie ended up being 27 minutes behined Basso and Armstrong.

Alpe d'Huez goes for 13.8 km at 7.9%. The overall distance is 15.5 km. That distance is about half that of the climbing done on stage 12 and therefore matches up with the 13 minutes Claude Criquielion is predicting.

Obviously Robbie would have been taking it sort of easily on stage 12 just to make the time limit. But in this case, we have a steeper mountain and the front runners will be going all-out all the way up.

I hope he makes it okay.

jazmo said:
Interesting insight on cyclingnews.com

"Claude Criquielion, one of the Lotto-Domo team directors, is concerned that Robbie McEwen could be eliminated during tomorrow's Alpe d'Huez time trial. With the time limit set at 33% and a winning time for the 15.5 km uphill test expected to be around 40 minutes, McEwen will have to finish within 13 minutes of the victor. "That means that he will have to give full gas from the first metres," said Criquielion. "

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul20news2

Just doing a rough calculation.

On stage 12 Castelsarrasin - La Mongie, there was 27.5 km of climbing with an average gradient of around 6.6%. Robbie ended up being 27 minutes behined Basso and Armstrong.

Alpe d'Huez goes for 13.8 km at 7.9%. The overall distance is 15.5 km. That distance is about have that of the climbing done on stage 12 and therefore matches up with the 13 minutes Claude Criquielion is predicting.

Obviously Robbie would have been taking it sort of easily on stage 12 just to make the time limit. But in this case, we have a steeper mountain and the front runners will be going all-out all the way up.

I hope he makes it okay.
they'll change the rules as there's no way they would throw a jersey wearer out!

what about the train-intersection stop where 80% of the field finished 35 minutes behind :)

the recod for Alpe d'Huez is 50 mins by Marco Pantani. where did this 40
minute stuff come from? In teh Dauphine Iban Mayo was over 50 mins.

Be very surprised if anyone got near 40 mins.

news:[email protected]...

richie said:
the recod for Alpe d'Huez is 50 mins by Marco Pantani. where did this 40
minute stuff come from? In teh Dauphine Iban Mayo was over 50 mins.

Be very surprised if anyone got near 40 mins.

Recorded times for Alpe D'Huez

37'35 - Marco Pantani, 1997 (fastest)
38'01 - Lance Armstrong, 2001
39'45 - Miguel Indurain, 1991
41'50 - Laurent Fignon, 1989
48'00 - Bernard Hinault/Greg Lemond, 1986

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/tour03/?id=features/alpe_dhuez

Mayo did Mt Ventoux in the Duaphine.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:59:43 +1000, jazmo
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

>I hope he makes it okay.

He can climb when he has to. It might hurt a lot, but he's a tough
little bugger. Fingers crossed, though.

--
Regards.
Richard.

flyingdutch wrote:

> jazmo Wrote:
>
>>Interesting insight on cyclingnews.com
>>
>>"Claude Criquielion, one of the Lotto-Domo team directors, is concerned
>>that Robbie McEwen could be eliminated during tomorrow's Alpe d'Huez
>>time trial. With the time limit set at 33% and a winning time for the
>>15.5 km uphill test expected to be around 40 minutes, McEwen will have
>>to finish within 13 minutes of the victor. "That means that he will
>>have to give full gas from the first metres," said Criquielion. "
>>

> what about the train-intersection stop where 80% of the field finished
> 35 minutes behind :)

That's the 25% rule isn't it? ie. they will not eliminate riders if 25%
of the total riders are below the 33% winning time cut off.

Al.

Al said:
flyingdutch wrote:

> jazmo Wrote:
>
>>Interesting insight on cyclingnews.com
>>
>>"Claude Criquielion, one of the Lotto-Domo team directors, is concerned
>>that Robbie McEwen could be eliminated during tomorrow's Alpe d'Huez
>>time trial. With the time limit set at 33% and a winning time for the
>>15.5 km uphill test expected to be around 40 minutes, McEwen will have
>>to finish within 13 minutes of the victor. "That means that he will
>>have to give full gas from the first metres," said Criquielion. "
>>

> what about the train-intersection stop where 80% of the field finished
> 35 minutes behind :)

That's the 25% rule isn't it? ie. they will not eliminate riders if 25%
of the total riders are below the 33% winning time cut off.

Al.
still had energy left for a wheelie :)

oops, read the wrong stuff..sorree!

news:[email protected]...