McEwen getting old!

gavin11756

Jun 16, 2003
Robbie McEwen is 34 years of Age! Not getting any younger. However his form is as good as ever. One wonder is he'll start slowing down in the next year or so!

:)

gavin11756 said:
Robbie McEwen is 34 years of Age! Not getting any younger. However his form is as good as ever. One wonder is he'll start slowing down in the next year or so!

He's old, but his career has only got better with age. He really only started winning consistently from 2001 (see interview from cyclingnews http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/tour06/?id=/riders/2006/interviews/robbie_mcewen_pretour06)
I think he has another 1-2 years left by the looks of his form. He may decide to retire at his peak though.

I noticed from the front-on vision of his sprint, that he still veers to one side just in case someone is coming up behind him, so he can block them.
Even though he was well in the clear:eek:
Old habits die hard. Until one of the stewards has enough balls to make him hold his line, I will keep saying McEwan is a bloody ******.

Aussie Steve said:
I noticed from the front-on vision of his sprint, that he still veers to one side just in case someone is coming up behind him, so he can block them.
Old habits die hard. Until one of the stewards has enough balls to make him hold his line, I will keep saying McEwan is a bloody ******.
This thread is about his age, not what sort of bloke he is. I agree that he comes across as arrogant a$$hole sometimes, but you can't deny his ability.

As for him veering in his win...why would the steward dq him when he is 3 lengths clear? Stewards have dq'd him before (http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/?id=results/tour053).

Walrus said:
This thread is about his age, not what sort of bloke he is. I agree that he comes across as arrogant a$$hole sometimes
thjis guy i used to work with raced pro for a couple years (only a little bit in europe), and pretty much told me robbie is the ty cobb of cycling (okay not that bad but pretty much a POS on and off the the road).

he's awesome though there's no doubt. even cippo admitted mcewan was just as fast... before petacchi started owning him lol.

gavin11756 said:

Its possible he has another year or 2. Cipollini won 4 stages in the Giro in 01 at 34years old , 6 stages in 02 at 35 years old, and 2 more in 03 at 36 years old.

Last year in the Vuelta, eventhough he didn't win any stages, Zabel finished 2nd 5 or 6 times at 35 or 36 years old (Not sure exactly).

Aussie Steve said:

If they DQ'd everyone for not holding their line, the sprinters wouldn't ever win.

Either they are trying to shake someone off their tail or come out of someone's slipstream and sprint.

McKewan is pretty determined (remember him headbutting O'Grady last year) but you have to be to get the results.

He's no worse than any of the other pure sprinters.

SaintAndrew said:
thjis guy i used to work with raced pro for a couple years (only a little bit in europe), and pretty much told me robbie is the ty cobb of cycling (okay not that bad but pretty much a POS on and off the the road).

he's awesome though there's no doubt. even cippo admitted mcewan was just as fast... before petacchi started owning him lol.

That's a big call about Petacchi. McEwan beat him with outright speed in two stages of the Giro this year. Last year Petacchi looked the goods but McEwan has his measure this year.

Who is ty cobb?

mitosis said:
If they DQ'd everyone for not holding their line, the sprinters wouldn't ever win.

Either they are trying to shake someone off their tail or come out of someone's slipstream and sprint.

McKewan is pretty determined (remember him headbutting O'Grady last year) but you have to be to get the results.

He's no worse than any of the other pure sprinters.

Yes! You may have a point here!

gavin11756 said:
Yes! You may have a point here!
The headbutting last year was a bit much, but he's my favorite sprinter for sure. Considering his age and small form, it's so impressive.

How old is Boonen?

Orla_24 said:
The headbutting last year was a bit much, but he's my favorite sprinter for sure. Considering his age and small form, it's so impressive.

How old is Boonen?
Boonen is 25 years old, turning 26 in Oct.

mitosis said:
Who is ty cobb?
Legendary baseball player. Read here.

"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

ATM said:
Legendary baseball player. Read here.

"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."
Oh, he's very young. I feel less bad for Boonen now, he has loads of years to win stages on the tour, this year is Robbie's.

Before todays stage a reporter askes McEwen, who's the the best sprinter right now, McEwen rides away and answers confident, you are looking at him. Last year Cheryl Crow wanted an autograph from Hushovd. Hushovd gives her a jersey with his autograph and writes something like, from the greatest rider in the world. Boonen declares in this years TdF that his rainbow collored jersey is more beautiful and valuable than the yellow jersey.... Boonen would rather have a stage win than a yellow jersey for a few days.... Sprinter are a race of their own just look at Super Mario.... Never ever any lack in self confidence and always proclaiming themselves to be the best... just love them..

BikeLBK.com said:
Fantastic Cyclist! But he is arrogant and an ugly little Australian, Scottish roots?

and the little ******* has just done it again 10 minutes ago. He's great! BTW Most Aussies are of British background!

It's a nation built and maintained by those of British stock. Can I buy an arguement here! lol!
:D

gavin11756 said:
and the little ******* has just done it again 10 minutes ago. He's great! BTW Most Aussies are of British background!

It's a nation built and maintained by those of British stock. Can I buy an arguement here! lol!
:D
Aha! Should the Dutch, or the Swiss, or Europeans from the Rhine valley, claim Landis as one of their own, since that is where Mennonites got started before some came to the US? :) :)

JRMDC said:
Aha! Should the Dutch, or the Swiss, or Europeans from the Rhine valley, claim Landis as one of their own, since that is where Mennonites got started before some came to the US? :) :)

I'd be surprised if the Germans aren't taking some credit for Leipheimer's stock.

DiabloScott said:
I'd be surprised if the Germans aren't taking some credit for Leipheimer's stock.

while i remember, and in case you don't know already go to google earth to follow the race' just type in "google earth" and then tour de france