McEwen sprinted at 45.75mph or 73.6Kilometers hr!

steve26

Apr 2, 2005
Listening to the race on Eurosport today and they said Robbie McEwen final sprint today (Friday July 15th) was clocked at 45.75 M.P.H. or 73.6 K.P.H.

I didn't think that was even possible over flat ground! wow...

Because you have not followed some of Alessandro Petacchi's sprints! :p

Jokes aside, top sprinters do achieve speeds in the range of 70kph... if only for a few hundred meters.

steve26 said:
No, I am knew to the sport...(Lance fan)...that is amazing!

Now imagine going that fast in a huge bunch and bumping shoulders with other people going that fast. Scary!

Oke petacchi sprinted the last 300 metres of milan-san remo in 83 kms.........the fastest/best sprinter in the world:cool:

tcklyde said:
Now imagine going that fast in a huge bunch and bumping shoulders with other people going that fast. Scary!

I'm not getting in to "who is faster" debate.

I just make one comment - I simply don't know how they (sprinters) do what they do.
The TV images simply don't convey the speed that these boys go at but let me tell you, they're pissing along.

The 1998 TDF passed within two miles of my parents home and the road that they were cycling is a killer near where i grew up : they were winding up for the sprint from about 5 miles from the finish line in the Phoenix Park in Dublin.

As they passed you could see the speed and power - power being the operative word.
They were literally flying (and those at the back of the bunch, such as Pantani, weren't crusing either).

It is enthralling and at the same time scary to see them going because one mistake, one mishap and they could get injured or killed.

azdroptop said:
What kind of watts do these guys produce? > 600?

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7820.0.html

"I am very sure that I have not gotten any weaker in the past years," Zabel says. "We have been recording our data at Telekom for a long time."

However, Zabel thinks that the level of sprinting in pro cycling is becoming higher every year.

"A few years ago, my 1200-watt maximum in a sprint was still enough to win," he noted. "Now, you probably need 1300."

steve26 said:
Listening to the race on Eurosport today and they said Robbie McEwen final sprint today (Friday July 15th) was clocked at 45.75 M.P.H. or 73.6 K.P.H.

Actually, it's not hard to get up to that speed with a strong wind at your back, like a 50 mph wind. It's hard to know exactly the conditions in the outdoors and bursting out of the peloton. If he were on his own indoors, that would be incredible, but it's hard to know what this would translate into.

tcklyde said:
Yeah - you might get relegated. Stupid judges.

Hey Lim,
Seeing as how you probobly have the most experiance in this area, what is the fastet you have ever sprinted? What, if any were contributing factors to your spped? Do you think that sprinting is faster when done in a bunch sprint or a solo sprint?

snyper0311 said:
Hey Lim,
Seeing as how you probobly have the most experiance in this area, what is the fastet you have ever sprinted? What, if any were contributing factors to your spped? Do you think that sprinting is faster when done in a bunch sprint or a solo sprint?
:D It's pretty obvious that you'd be faster in a bunch sprint Jimmy. ;)

steve26 said:

That does seem quick, the fastest qualifying time going into the 2005 world's sprint cycling championships belonged to Theo Bos at 70.643 km/hr. I would not have bet that tour bunch sprints were faster! :confused: I'm sure someone here can explain, but it sounds almost unreasonable to me.

Interesting that before the stage, McEwen told an interviewer that there was no way today would end in a bunch sprint. Even he was sure that a long break would make it to the end.

snyper0311 said:
Hey Lim,

Synper, you grant me a status far beyond my abilities, I'm afraid !
(But thanks for even thinking I could do so !!!!!!!).

I never contested a real bunch sprint ( that is a sprint with pure sprinters - eyeballs out stuff).
Years ago when I raced I got away for few stage wins but never a win that was a bunch sprint.
To be really honest with you, i would be scared of my life if I ever found myself in that position.

But your question is a good one and there has to be members here who have contested bunch sprints (anyone ??).
Diablo Scott, Bikeriderfrance, fred C - or how about you Synper, did you compete ? Have you contested bunch sprints ??

I've gone 45 mph before--Downhill! Can't imagine my little cjicken legs carrying me that fast on level ground. But anyway, I truly looked down and saw my computer readings and at the same time a guy passed me pretty quickly. He was in his 50's age wise and speed wise, i'm guessing. At the bottom of the descent, there was a quick turn. The rider got in some loose pebbles and crashed through a fence and smashed into a tree, knocking him ou t for quite a while. He suffered a broken wrist and some ribs. I believe also, he was a doctor. Seeing that still today makes me a little more careful. Too bad those kickboxing suits weigh so much!!

Bjørn P.Dal said:
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7820.0.html

"I am very sure that I have not gotten any weaker in the past years," Zabel says. "We have been recording our data at Telekom for a long time."

However, Zabel thinks that the level of sprinting in pro cycling is becoming higher every year.

"A few years ago, my 1200-watt maximum in a sprint was still enough to win," he noted. "Now, you probably need 1300."
Wow! 1200 + watts. That is amazing!

limerickman said:
But your question is a good one and there has to be members here who have contested bunch sprints (anyone ??).
Diablo Scott, Bikeriderfrance, fred C - or how about you Synper, did you compete ? Have you contested bunch sprints ??

Never even came close to winning anything, but 35mph was typically my top speed in a flat sprint (for about 5 seconds on the few occaisions I was still there)... usually followed by a wave of nausea. Of course that was when 52x13 was the biggest gear ;) .

I currently hit 45 pretty regularly on a good descent in a good tuck... I can't imagine doing that with two dozen elbows trying to stop me.

Thanks for thinking of me though Lim!