McGillycuddy's Reeks

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tom Crispin, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    I'm spending the Easter Weekend in McGillycuddy's Reeks, staying at
    the Mountain View Hostel just west of the Gap of Dunloe.

    Does anyone have any experience of this bunkhouse or area? Any
    recommendations for walks?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Tom Crispin

    >Gap of Dunloe.

    be prepared for touristy bollox there. They have all these horses
    and traps and a big car park for your car to take Americans
    across. It is however a public road.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

  3. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:08:11 +0100, The Reid
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Gap of Dunloe.

    >be prepared for touristy bollox there. They have all these horses
    >and traps and a big car park for your car to take Americans
    >across. It is however a public road.

    Is the car park free. I was hoping to start the Reeks' Traverse from
    there, but 3Km from the bunkhouse is worth the walk in if the car park
    fees are high.

  4. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:

    > >>Gap of Dunloe.

    > Is the car park free. I was hoping to start the Reeks' Traverse from
    > there, but 3Km from the bunkhouse is worth the walk in if the car park
    > fees are high.

    I think the carpark at Kate Kearney's was free a few years ago and as I
    remember it there was roadside parking which we had to use because the
    carpark was full. I think I can remember a few cars being parked
    further up at the head of the gap as well which would shorten the
    traverse. I don't think there was much in the way of parking at the
    other end of the Reeks Traverse. At least not where I got dropped off
    at the start of a reservoir access road. (Note all the "thinks").

  5. Alex Clarke

    Alex Clarke Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:08:11 +0100, The Reid
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>>Gap of Dunloe.

    >>be prepared for touristy bollox there. They have all these horses
    >>and traps and a big car park for your car to take Americans
    >>across. It is however a public road.

    > Is the car park free. I was hoping to start the Reeks' Traverse from
    > there, but 3Km from the bunkhouse is worth the walk in if the car park
    > fees are high.

    Still free last summer. Did said Reeks far less people than you would
    see on a summer day in Lakes, Snowdonia etc and much better for it

  6. carrigman

    carrigman Guest

    "Tom Crispin" wrote in message
    > Is the car park free. I was hoping to start the Reeks' Traverse from
    > there, but 3Km from the bunkhouse is worth the walk in if the car park
    > fees are high.

    The car park is free Tom so no problems there.

    The full traverse of the Reeks from the Gap of Dunloe across to Lough Acoose
    is a very challenging but exhilarating walk. You will obviously need
    transport back. A taxi will probably set you back about 30 Euro. Check with
    a Killarney or Killorglin taxi firm before you set out. You will also need
    very good weather. The Reeks are best avoided in poor visibility, especially
    if you are not familiar with them.

    If you are simply interested in climbing Carrauntoohil then avoid the Gap
    and take the road to Cronin's farmhouse where you can park in the yard for
    about 2 Euro. There is a very pleasant walk up the Hag's Glen before you
    come to the Devil's Ladder and the ascent proper.

    There are several good guidebooks to walking routes in the Reeks and other
    local mountains available in Killarney bookshops. Have a look also at:
    http://www.mountainviews.ie/

    Have a great time.

    John,
    Ireland

  7. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to carrigman

    >If you are simply interested in climbing Carrauntoohil then avoid the Gap
    >and take the road to Cronin's farmhouse where you can park in the yard for
    >about 2 Euro. There is a very pleasant walk up the Hag's Glen before you
    >come to the Devil's Ladder and the ascent proper.

    photo from near that start
    "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/reeksladder.htm"
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  8. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:23:58 +0100, "carrigman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
    >> Is the car park free. I was hoping to start the Reeks' Traverse from
    >> there, but 3Km from the bunkhouse is worth the walk in if the car park
    >> fees are high.

    >The car park is free Tom so no problems there.
    >
    >The full traverse of the Reeks from the Gap of Dunloe across to Lough Acoose
    >is a very challenging but exhilarating walk. You will obviously need
    >transport back. A taxi will probably set you back about 30 Euro. Check with
    >a Killarney or Killorglin taxi firm before you set out. You will also need
    >very good weather. The Reeks are best avoided in poor visibility, especially
    >if you are not familiar with them.
    >
    >If you are simply interested in climbing Carrauntoohil then avoid the Gap
    >and take the road to Cronin's farmhouse where you can park in the yard for
    >about 2 Euro. There is a very pleasant walk up the Hag's Glen before you
    >come to the Devil's Ladder and the ascent proper.
    >
    >There are several good guidebooks to walking routes in the Reeks and other
    >local mountains available in Killarney bookshops. Have a look also at:
    >http://www.mountainviews.ie/
    >
    >Have a great time.

    Thanks for the excellent advice. We'll just have to pray for good
    weather, we have just four walking days.