McMoab Monzta Movie

DarkTom

Guest
Hi all !

Two weekends ago my brother, Ozzy, and I went to see my parents. They
live in Dumfries and Galloway (where we went to school), proper foot
and mouth territory a while back. I, of course, took my Muni. Ben (my
brother) took his videocamera.

The 7 Stanes project have been busy round here making the Kirroughtree
cycle route and some stuff at Glentrool.

At Kirroughtree they found some huge bits of granite sticking out of
the ground so they cleared more of it and made it a feature of the bike
tracks. It is a bit off the track, but easily accessible by road/car
if you're just going to it itself.

They decided to call it "McMoab" as it is a smaller version of Moab,
and it's in Scotland. Everything should have "Mc" in front of it here!
- McUnicycle, McDinner, McPub, McEtc.

The three of us took my ma's wee gay 4X4, and went to find McMoab.
Working purely from a print out of the 7Stanes Kirroughtree map, off we
went. It is out in the middle of nowhere in a big newly-cleared area
of forestry land. My brother took his videocamera along so he filmed
me and Ozzy playing on the rocks.

The Video can be found 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/qcd2n). It is 25Mb,
320X240, wmv format, and lasts 6min50.

Now my brother is no cameraman and it was very windy up there so please
excuse the shaky photography! When I was knackered from cycling, Ben's
face was bright red and he couldn't move his fingers! BBrrr!! Good
job I was driving home!

The start of the route has the usual 7 Stanes logo and symbols (black,
red, green, etc) So far, the hardest graded section of 7 Stanes I have
done is a double black diamond, and this was the Mabie Dark Side, where
I broke my big toe!

McMoab has a black diamond and a SKULL AND CROSS-BONES !!!! You know
you are in for fun when you see that!

McMoab is all rough granite, the kind that grips and grips and grips
but would rip you up if you fell on it! It also destroys tyres
quickly. The video doesn't show it too well, but lots of it is very
steep. It is very hoppy, I'm gonna go back with my trials uni, and it
soon tired me out hopping on my (heavy) muni.

I reckon that on a bike, McMoab would be stupidly hard! My flatmate
says he's done it, but he is good on mountain bikes and has been riding
them since he could. But on unicycles it is amazing! I wasn't really
in the mood, but you could spend all day there finding different gaps
and lines to do. When I go back, Pebbles will come and we will film
more (on a tripod!!).

I recommend this place to everybody, hope you enjoy my video, and also
hope that watching it makes you want to go there.

T.

p.s i have tried an andrew carter style preview image for this
vid/post. hope it works....

|Filename: mcmoab ss.jpg |

DarkTom

'*_My_Gallery_*' (http://tinyurl.com/9bnux)
-\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
less.\" - johnhimsworth
\"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher
\"you could help by not making it look so darn easy.\" - chrashing
-
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

Oooooooo, I'm going biking in Scotland later this month; I'm really
looking forward to riding at Kirroughtree, it looks absolutely
fantastic.

There was a thread on the Singletrack forum the other day with some
more pictures of the drop at the end of McMoab; it looks blummin'
steep!

http://tinyurl.com/nosbm

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

phil wrote:
> Oooooooo, I'm going biking in Scotland later this month; I'm really
> looking forward to riding at Kirroughtree, it looks absolutely
> fantastic.

Biking? Take your unicycle too!

phil wrote:
> There was a thread on the Singletrack forum the other day with some more
> pictures of the drop at the end of McMoab; it looks blummin' steep!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/nosbm
>
> Phil

this foto from that link has been rotated, look at the angle that the
grass is growing at!

amanda.gallacher wrote:
> that looks awesome, shame i live no where near there. Ozzy rocks haha

Ozzy does indeed rock!

amanda.gallacher wrote:
> btw, you need to uni more all my mates say they've never seen any
> unicyclists in glasgow

True. I aint been out in ages. Was at the skatepark on saturday for a
bit, it just hasn't been the weather for it/me. Also my new job means
I'm usually knackered by tea-time and just want to sit down. Excuses,
excuses, I know.

T.

|Filename: pbpic546219 wee.JPG |

DarkTom wrote:
> this foto from that link has been rotated, look at the angle that the
> grass is growing at!

That photo has obviously been fiddled, but more impressive are the
photos taken from the top looking down... the fireroad below looks an
awful long way down!

Phil