McMoab Monzta Movie

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by DarkTom, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. DarkTom

    DarkTom Guest

    Hi all !

    Two weekends ago my brother, Ozzy, and I went to see my parents. They
    live in Dumfries and Galloway (where we went to school), proper foot
    and mouth territory a while back. I, of course, took my Muni. Ben (my
    brother) took his videocamera.

    The 7 Stanes project have been busy round here making the Kirroughtree
    cycle route and some stuff at Glentrool.

    At Kirroughtree they found some huge bits of granite sticking out of
    the ground so they cleared more of it and made it a feature of the bike
    tracks. It is a bit off the track, but easily accessible by road/car
    if you're just going to it itself.

    They decided to call it "McMoab" as it is a smaller version of Moab,
    and it's in Scotland. Everything should have "Mc" in front of it here!
    - McUnicycle, McDinner, McPub, McEtc.

    The three of us took my ma's wee gay 4X4, and went to find McMoab.
    Working purely from a print out of the 7Stanes Kirroughtree map, off we
    went. It is out in the middle of nowhere in a big newly-cleared area
    of forestry land. My brother took his videocamera along so he filmed
    me and Ozzy playing on the rocks.

    The Video can be found 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/qcd2n). It is 25Mb,
    320X240, wmv format, and lasts 6min50.

    Now my brother is no cameraman and it was very windy up there so please
    excuse the shaky photography! When I was knackered from cycling, Ben's
    face was bright red and he couldn't move his fingers! BBrrr!! Good
    job I was driving home!

    The start of the route has the usual 7 Stanes logo and symbols (black,
    red, green, etc) So far, the hardest graded section of 7 Stanes I have
    done is a double black diamond, and this was the Mabie Dark Side, where
    I broke my big toe!

    McMoab has a black diamond and a SKULL AND CROSS-BONES !!!! You know
    you are in for fun when you see that!

    McMoab is all rough granite, the kind that grips and grips and grips
    but would rip you up if you fell on it! It also destroys tyres
    quickly. The video doesn't show it too well, but lots of it is very
    steep. It is very hoppy, I'm gonna go back with my trials uni, and it
    soon tired me out hopping on my (heavy) muni.

    I reckon that on a bike, McMoab would be stupidly hard! My flatmate
    says he's done it, but he is good on mountain bikes and has been riding
    them since he could. But on unicycles it is amazing! I wasn't really
    in the mood, but you could spend all day there finding different gaps
    and lines to do. When I go back, Pebbles will come and we will film
    more (on a tripod!!).

    I recommend this place to everybody, hope you enjoy my video, and also
    hope that watching it makes you want to go there.

    T.

    p.s i have tried an andrew carter style preview image for this
    vid/post. hope it works....

    |Filename: mcmoab ss.jpg |

    DarkTom

    '*_My_Gallery_*' (http://tinyurl.com/9bnux)
    -\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
    less.\" - johnhimsworth
    \"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher
    \"you could help by not making it look so darn easy.\" - chrashing
    -
    DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

  2. pedalone

    pedalone Guest

  3. phil

    phil Guest

    Oooooooo, I'm going biking in Scotland later this month; I'm really
    looking forward to riding at Kirroughtree, it looks absolutely
    fantastic.

    There was a thread on the Singletrack forum the other day with some
    more pictures of the drop at the end of McMoab; it looks blummin'
    steep!

    http://tinyurl.com/nosbm

    Phil

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  4. DarkTom

    DarkTom Guest

    phil wrote:
    > Oooooooo, I'm going biking in Scotland later this month; I'm really
    > looking forward to riding at Kirroughtree, it looks absolutely
    > fantastic.

    Biking? Take your unicycle too!

    phil wrote:
    > There was a thread on the Singletrack forum the other day with some more
    > pictures of the drop at the end of McMoab; it looks blummin' steep!
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/nosbm
    >
    > Phil

    this foto from that link has been rotated, look at the angle that the
    grass is growing at!

    amanda.gallacher wrote:
    > that looks awesome, shame i live no where near there. Ozzy rocks haha

    Ozzy does indeed rock!

    amanda.gallacher wrote:
    > btw, you need to uni more all my mates say they've never seen any
    > unicyclists in glasgow

    True. I aint been out in ages. Was at the skatepark on saturday for a
    bit, it just hasn't been the weather for it/me. Also my new job means
    I'm usually knackered by tea-time and just want to sit down. Excuses,
    excuses, I know.

    T.

    |Filename: pbpic546219 wee.JPG |

    DarkTom

    '*_My_Gallery_*' (http://tinyurl.com/9bnux)
    -\"just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be
    less.\" - johnhimsworth
    \"i am a girl\" - amanda.gallacher
    \"you could help by not making it look so darn easy.\" - chrashing
    -
    DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

  5. phil

    phil Guest

    DarkTom wrote:
    > this foto from that link has been rotated, look at the angle that the
    > grass is growing at!

    That photo has obviously been fiddled, but more impressive are the
    photos taken from the top looking down... the fireroad below looks an
    awful long way down!

    Phil