McQuaid against retesting

I can understand him to a degree. As I understand it, the UCI's funds are limited, and they want to spend them on building the biological passport. But not doing CERA tests on some targeted riders is sending out the wrong signal, at best.

i really don't care how much it would cost uci/wada to clean up the sport. had they done their work years ago, the elephant sized lump under the carpet wouldn't be there. my personal favourite quotation from pat sounds eerily like l.a. and mark mcgwire. the wonderful "i'm not here to talk about the past."

"From the UCI's point of view, we prefer to look forward rather than look backward," McQuaid said in an interview with The Associated Press.

chapeau, pat! courage, pat!

what i find difficult to fathom is pat's attitude that it would be too much of an imposition to "re-jigger" the podium. who says that we need go that far? just retest, publish the results and let the dopers take their case to the court of public opinion. certainly would give me a few more laughs when they trot out the "i only just tried this before this race where i made the podium...and those other two races where i was hit with randoms...and that one out of competition test a while back..."

jonjungel said:
I can understand him to a degree. As I understand it, the UCI's funds are limited, and they want to spend them on building the biological passport. But not doing CERA tests on some targeted riders is sending out the wrong signal, at best.

I hear you but as Slovakguy says if the UCI had tried to confront this problem earlier, they might have avoided all of this.

jonjungel said:

I kinda agree with Pat *gasp - did I just say that???* Retesting causes major f*ckups. Titles need to be stripped, new award ceremonies need to be held, court cases drag on for years (ala Floyd style when the 2008 winner was known before the 2007 - or was it 2006/2007???), riders get half suspended not really knowing the facts etc etc.

I'm a black and white kinda guy - if you cheated on the day and got away with it then congrtulations buddy (plus a few days to do that days testing of course). On a moral level it's the wrong attitude but at least it cuts out the grey areas, indecision and if/but/maybes that surround retesting.

Reading this article made me even more annoyed than when I read that Armstrong was coming back! The UCI has just sent a signal to all dopers that says if you can get away with it on the day then your palmares will stand. If it wasn't for the French testing, McQuaid would probably be lauding Schumacher and Kohl as members of the new young clean generation. He has even cast doubts on the storage methods of samples. What, blood taken six months ago must have degraded, so it can't be reliably tested. What does Anne Gripper say to that, Pat? Hasn't Pat heard of refrigeration?

The answer to doping according to McQuaid? Just think good thoughts and pretend it all away. How much exactly have Astana paid the man?

The UCI has no choice but to accept the re-testing for CERA.

Look at it this way.
McQuaid throws his hands up and says "we can't start retesting samples etc....".
Given the sports reputation, McQuaid despite what he appears to be saying, cannot fudge this issue.
If he does try to fudge it, it will add further to the perception that this sport has got something more to hide.
It will further deter race sponsors from staying the sport and it will make the sport look even more corrupt.

It's very interesting, Paul Kimmage on local radio here said that McQuaid says one thing in private and another (different) thing in public.
That's Pat's style all right.

well, yes, having to rewrite the finishes for several races would be quite a problem. but pat really hasn't that to worry about. if the race organisers wish to go after the cheats for the prize money and the other flotsam of their victory, they can have at it. i'm in favour of an operacion puerto model. just put their names out there with the ped involved and let the riders face the fans along the french roadside for three weeks. a few of us will forever remember how alberto, jan and others stepped right up to prove their innocence by offering blood samples and such. just test the samples and publish the results.

Well I do understand him. Can't you see why he says such things and doesn't want riders to be tested. He doesn't want positives.

Let me put it this way:

Situation before Festina, Puerto and the positives of the last decade:
- Lots of sponsors
- Lots of riders doping
- Few tests
- Good media coverage of cycling

Then they introduced more testing:
- Sponsors leaving
- Lots of riders doping
- Lots of tests
- Media bashing cycling, TV stations cancelling coverage and even cycling events

So the only thing that seems to have stayed the same is cyclists doping. It's just that cycling is in the dirt and the sponsors and media are running away. So that's why Pat doesn't want more testing.
He can't see that good would eventually come if the dopers were taken down. Obviously he doesn't believe that dopers can be caught.

TDF has more TV coverage than ever.

Cycling bashing exists because cycling had not build a serious position and commitment against doping. That year with AFLD was the only serious against doping but Mc Quaid is already destroying a part of this! He only dreams about the bribes he could earn by protecting the teams and riders from OOC!

riders need to be scared shitless into not doping or they just WILL NOT STOP... one of the biggest deterrents at the UCI's disposal is that your blood and urine can be tested at a future time when new tests are available.. this will actually give riders pause... but if they know that the UCI is not going to pull the trigger on this.. they are not going to be scared at all of this.

Pat McQuaid is a fool! this actually makes me think that Tyler Hamilton is right... the sport of cycling has a mafia (guess who's the godfather)... if you don't pay the protection money, you go down... i have a feeling that the positives from the tour were just a ploy to appease the masses... give them a little taste of some red meat and they will go away satisfied that something is being done... i have this feeling that they stopped testing or reporting positive when they had enough positives to appease the masses or when all the riders that were not on the payroll had been outed, then they stopped.

if Pat McQuaid continues in this way and the sport continues to go down, he can count himself as being personally responsible for it's demise... even if this was his thinking he shouldn't go on record and publicly state it the way he did... in the fight against dope they need to have riders know that they will use whatever means necessary in whatever circumstance to out doped rider... but from McQuaids statements... outing doped riders is not his goal... his goal is to fool the public, sponsors and the media into thinking he's serious about ending doping in cycling when clearly he is not.. IDIOT!!

good points all around. i agree that the commercial aspects are too often ignored in the discussion as cycling is still a business. yes, the sport would be better off sportively & financially were they to turn a blind eye to the doping, as evidenced by the lead booted hint coming from j. rogge about cycling's dirty reputation (and yet he didn't daub track and field or weightlifting with the same stroke), the dismissal of p. clerc, or the tonnes of money the nfl generates in usa even though that sport has more than enough evidence to require more stringent testing. what i'm getting to is the belief that the license owners need to take a different tack in finding sponsors. use the increased emphasis on cleaning up the sport as a laudatory position to take--taking the "we brook no impropriety in our business or in our sport" angle. use the pulpit to thunder against the laxity in testing by other sporting federations to cast doubt on their commitment to that ideal...all that hooey we were taught to believe happens in the world.

poulidor said:
TDF has more TV coverage than ever.

Hmm...German TV stations speaking about not covering TdF 2009, stopping coverage on 2007 edition? German Tour cancelled next year?

RdBiker said:
Hmm...German TV stations speaking about not covering TdF 2009, stopping coverage on 2007 edition? German Tour cancelled next year?
Yes, but german spectators could see it on Eurosport... so it's more ASO losing a broadcasting contract than spectators.

poulidor said:
Yes, but german spectators could see it on Eurosport... so it's more ASO losing a broadcasting contract than spectators.

Yeah Eurosport is reporting the same story tonight

doctorSpoc said:
riders need to be scared shitless into not doping or they just WILL NOT STOP... one of the biggest deterrents at the UCI's disposal is that your blood and urine can be tested at a future time when new tests are available.. this will actually give riders pause... but if they know that the UCI is not going to pull the trigger on this.. they are not going to be scared at all of this.

Pat McQuaid is a fool! this actually makes me think that Tyler Hamilton is right... the sport of cycling has a mafia (guess who's the godfather)... if you don't pay the protection money, you go down... i have a feeling that the positives from the tour were just a ploy to appease the masses... give them a little taste of some red meat and they will go away satisfied that something is being done... i have this feeling that they stopped testing or reporting positive when they had enough positives to appease the masses or when all the riders that were not on the payroll had been outed, then they stopped.

if Pat McQuaid continues in this way and the sport continues to go down, he can count himself as being personally responsible for it's demise... even if this was his thinking he shouldn't go on record and publicly state it the way he did... in the fight against dope they need to have riders know that they will use whatever means necessary in whatever circumstance to out doped rider... but from McQuaids statements... outing doped riders is not his goal... his goal is to fool the public, sponsors and the media into thinking he's serious about ending doping in cycling when clearly he is not.. IDIOT!!

Good post.

When our national federation had an AGM to nominate McQuaid to go for the UCI job, some of us members opposed his candidacy.

Got to put my cards on the table here - Pat coached me and the rest of myteam for 6 years, during the mid-1980's.
I know Pat well and I've always got on well with him both in cycling and socially.
He's a very good coach.
But he's also a politician and he always put the "best front" on issues.
Even when the issue was clearcut, Pat always tended to prevaricate.
Many federation members here, while wanting to have a UCI President from this country, were not willing to back McQuaid as a candidate for the job because we knew that Pat always prevaricates.
He will wait to see what way the wind blows before giving an opinion.
His view is "the end justifies the means".

That sort of personality is totally inappropriate to handle the crisis that is hitting this sport.
The sport needs a UCI President who is willing to take a tough stand.

McQuaid?
Pat is more interested in maintaining his profile and his house in Switzerland (as UCI head).