McQuaid against retesting

The same people who say they don't care if the riders are doping (they just want to see exciting racing) are the same people who bought Armstrong's myths about winning because he trained more, trained harder and trained smarter. So which do you want?

Eldron said:
Come and join me on the naive side...

After the TdF/Ricco/Piep/Dumbass busts I felt a lot like you - then I decided to take the "ah f*ck it" approach.

Watching Ricco and the rest of the SD team rip the bunch to pieces made for awesome viewing. Drugs? Who cares? It's all just details after the event to me.

From now on I'm going to be blissfully unaware of drugs/cheating/whatever...

Probably not the right ethical approach but the way I look at it my view isn't going to make one iota if difference to drgus in sport. Let the governing bodies find the cheats. I'm going to enjoy the racing and not give a damn about what the rider is shoveling down their throats/in the veins.

Beauty in motion sans all the angst = fantastic :)
Can't/won't do it!
It's like watching professional wrestling; it's like watching a Jerry Springer show; it's like a woman with fake boobs...I can't follow Pro cycling with an ignorant, blissful look on my face knowing it's really just a highly controlled/contrived farce...I know many other endeavors in life are just as farcical, but once my eyes have been opened to them, for me, there's no going back to be being blind...

tonyzackery said:
Can't/won't do it!
It's like watching professional wrestling; it's like watching a Jerry Springer show; it's like a woman with fake boobs...I can't follow Pro cycling with an ignorant, blissful look on my face knowing it's really just a highly controlled/contrived farce...I know many other endeavors in life are just as farcical, but once my eyes have been opened to them, for me, there's no going back to be being blind...

this actually kinda makes me laugh... so what do you think you were watching all this time? dope isn't a new thing in cycling... it's always been there.. all the great champions doped... Merxk doped and was even caught... you honestly thought cycling was any where approaching clean at any point in it's history... cycling is and always has been a dirty sport... and hate to break it to you but, it's your parents not santa or the easter bunny or even the tooth fairy.. sorry..

this is like a before when you would tell someone that wrestling was fake and they wouldn't believe you or like you say that springer is made up stories.. c'mon no one could be that naive... why at this point in history after cycling has been dirty for over a hundred years are you now tired of it? so you never liked it then?

doctorSpoc said:
this actually kinda makes me laugh... so what do you think you were watching all this time? dope isn't a new thing in cycling... it's always been there.. all the great champions doped... Merxk doped and was even caught... you honestly thought cycling was any where approaching clean at any point in it's history... cycling is and always has been a dirty sport... and hate to break it to you but, it's your parents not santa or the easter bunny or even the tooth fairy.. sorry..

this is like a before when you would tell someone that wrestling was fake and they wouldn't believe you or like you say that springer is made up stories.. c'mon no one could be that naive... why at this point in history after cycling has been dirty for over a hundred years are you now tired of it? so you never liked it then?
Didn't mean to step on your toes, but just because you wish to continue to be naive, don't go throwin' stones at me.:D I'm new to this "sport" (within the past 2 years) and as such was naive initially, but I won't continue to believe in Santa, even if you and others wish to...more power to ya'...

Let me say "Sorry" ahead of time as I'm not getting into an internet pissing match with you about this matter so you'll probably be disappointed in my failure to respond to any further replies...

Almost forgot to add: my feelings about Pro cycling at this time are not about the simple fact of doping - it is expressly a response to McQuaid's failure to see the importance in retro testing now that they apparently have the technology to bust even more dopers...

Wednesday, the UCI president Pat McQuaid had been adamant: "We are the international authority responsible for the fight against doping in cycling (...) We will do our job and we will do well."
Wow, McQuaid seems to be desperate for his brown envelopes! Is he running short on cash or something? Maybe he has lost a lot of money in the current financial turmoil? :p

tonyzackery said:
Didn't mean to step on your toes, but just because you wish to continue to be naive, don't go throwin' stones at me.:D I'm new to this "sport" (within the past 2 years) and as such was naive initially, but I won't continue to believe in Santa, even if you and others wish to...more power to ya'...

Let me say "Sorry" ahead of time as I'm not getting into an internet pissing match with you about this matter so you'll probably be disappointed in my failure to respond to any further replies...

Almost forgot to add: my feelings about Pro cycling at this time are not about the simple fact of doping - it is expressly a response to McQuaid's failure to see the importance in retro testing now that they apparently have the technology to bust even more dopers...

how am i naive? i have known cycling was dirty and always was... i just don't happen to care and enjoy the freak show...

i happen to agree with you about McQuaid... i think that he is incredibly incompetent and irresponsible and really needs to go because i think cycling needs to be cleaned up.. but not for moral reasons but for practical reasons.. mostly that it's scaring sponsors away and that will mean the end of the sport if it continues the way it's going... it's time to get serious and end doping in cycling..

tonyzackery said:

I'm with you. This is just damage control. A few scapegoats pay. Others get off scott free. Also, the revelation of epo in Armstrongs retro test was a violation of his rights. Fine, but so why did they further reveal other riders identities from 1999 that showed evidence of epo usage.
do two wrongs make a right?
And what of the 1998 samples? The identities are still protected there.
I say let it all out. It is not right that some cyclists are removed from the sport and calumnied, while others are treated as legends of the sport, if they all are in fact cheating. If there is not fairness and honesty in sport, then there is no sport. My opinion obviously.

McQuaid stays an idiot and a liar !
From http://sports.voila.fr/cmc/cyclisme/200844/mcquaid-tout-est-une-question-de-compromis_201657.html

Some emphasis were done by me :cool:
McQuaid: "Everything is a matter of compromise"

This last week, unlike last year, Congress to attend the presentation of the route of the Tour de France 2009, Pat McQuaid, president of the International Cycling Union (UCI), acknowledges that relations with Organizers of the Tour were allayed. And asserts that both parties are ready to work together to eradicate the scourge of doping.

Pat McQuaid seemed satisfied by this turn of events. (Reuters)

You were absent last year at the presentation of the Tour. Your presence this year Does that relations between the UCI and ASO are better?

Absolutely. Our relations have eased. Today, ASO and the UCI have reports "great (in French text). I was absent last year and I was sad. I am extremely happy to be this year. As everyone know, we talked a lot with ASO since the beginning of the summer to reach agreement at the last World Championships in Varese (UCI will once again hand over doping controls on the Tour after the "freelance" conducted this year by the AFLD editor's note). We have reviewed recently and we each have the same goals and interests. We want to work together in the coming years. To respond briefly to your question: yes relationships are better between ASO and the UCI.

What could make them even better?

The question is not what we should do to improve these relations but what we must do today to help develop our sport. We must work together to be sure that the 2009 Tour de France is going well. We must both use our influence to convince the peloton and riders not to take drugs. And then we need to discuss how to grow our sport, from a commercial institution.

"The AFLD is not in his right ..."

Are you now that the Tour de France is not part of the ProTour?

Yes, we have accepted. But we had already agreed last year. But they (the organizers of the Tour de France) have also accepted the presence of the ProTour. It is give and take.

This means that you agree to the organizers freedom to invite teams they want?

Yes, as the organizers of the Tour of France have signed a contract to this effect with the teams for the next two years. Again, all about compromise and negotiation. We recognize their freedom to organize and invite teams they wish during the next two editions but we already discussing the possibility of introducing our own rules from 2011 that would grant teams to be selected for Tour de France and other major events on a sporting test.

The AFLD expressed doubts on the ability of the UCI to resume control over doping controls at the upcoming Tour de France. How do you react to the start of this controversy?

If there is an early controversy is the fault of the AFLD and is not within its rights. She knows the rules. The UCI is the body responsible for the issue of doping in cycling. And that includes France and they (the leaders of the AFLD) know. I am sure we will discuss in the coming weeks about this to find a way to work together. We have done in the past. I have no problem with Mr Bordry (Director of the AFLD). I am sure we will find a solution. The checks will be under the responsibility of the UCI but we want to work with the AFLD and the laboratory Chatenay-Malabry, what we have always done in the past. We have no problem with the seriousness of their controls but we can not accept leaks in the press from the laboratory of Chatenay-Malabry. ( Pat, explain us how they can identify the athletes without UCI help to match rider names and identifiant of samples)

Will there be new tests after the race like this year that allowed Kohl to criminalize and Schumacher?

I can not tell you today. That was the case this year because they have found a new method for detecting Cera in the blood. This year is a special case. If a similar case occurs next year, the UCI will obviously welcome it if the samples are tested again after the competition. I was asked recently if samples of the Giro and the Vuelta would also reanalysis. The answer is no because it would take too long and cost too much money. But if we have doubts about a rider, we could do. The media were not alerted because we do it in a professional manner. If one case was positive, the media would be kept informed. Hey Pat, we know already the names of some riders to retest, how much for them ?

Sanctions could be heavier in the future against the riders testing positive?

From 1 January 2009, the sanctions could actually go from two to four of suspension in case of intentional doping. A good example of intentional doping is that of Kohl (Bernhard Kohl has been tested positive for Cera on the last Tour de France, editor's note). He confessed to having doped. In such situations, it might consider raising its suspension to four years. Stupid ideas you have but if you want to push doping under the rug that is perfect, like the old days!

Schumacher and Kohl would have never doped if they were not in search of a contract "

But do you understand the argument of rider who said he doped to regain form after injury?

Longitudinal follow-up is here to help you recover gradually. I think Kohl, as Schumacher and Ricco, believed that Cera was undetectable. Kohl and Schumacher are typical cases - although I do not want to talk too much about Schumacher until his case is not over - runners seeking a new contract. And of course what can they be? On the Tour de France. Unfortunately, this is the course they take more risks. They both signed a contract for next year on the basis of their performance thanks to a product they thought undetectable. And I come back to the ProTour who was much criticized. One of the objectives of the ProTour is to give riders long-term contracts. That would reduce the risk of riders to be tempted to boost idea to show. I'm sure Schumacher and Kohl would have never doped if they were not looking for a contract. LIAR

In Germany, why riders like Jaksche and Sinkewitz do they not employers?

Do not ask me the question. Ask the team managers. They are the ones who decide. We can not influence them. Both riders have every right to return to the competition. But these are the teams to decide whether to bring them back.

What do you think the decision of the ARD and ZDF, the two German broadcasters historic Tour de France, to boycott the Tour 2009?

This is not good. It is a wrong decision. It is an unfair decision. I do not talk about other sports, but when I see that seven Russian athletes have been suspended, I wonder if these channels will stop cover athletics. They must be fair with everyone. I think the message delivered by these channels is wrong and unjust. People who have taken this decision, and I am aware that within these two public channels have been influenced by the policies have not yet understood the battle that we now deliver against doping. They withdrew from this battle and it is a pity.

For three years, we introduced the Tour de France as the renewal ...
I've always said since I was elected in 2005: the fight against doping will not be won in a day but will take years. I will be happy if in two, three or four years, we finish with this scourge.

"I'm sure Schumacher and Kohl would have never doped if they were not looking for a contract."

this has to be the gem of the interview. the statement neglects to recognise that both riders would most likely have been offered contracts, but they might not have commanded the money they feel they deserve. both were pumping up their palmares in hopes of getting a contract commensurate with the ones they had.

doctorSpoc said:

I'm with you.

I always thought part of the cycling attraction was the controversies........

slovakguy said:
well, yes, having to rewrite the finishes for several races would be quite a problem.
If there were a heap of clean riders in the peloton... you'd think that someone would stick up for them. But this cynical attitude that it's not worth chasing them up because it will be detrimental to the sport... as Lim and others say... is totally contradictory to their "We take no prisoners" propaganda. They know the problem is pervasive. Their worried about themselves. There's obviously a point where they stop standing up for the honest athletes.

Hard to imagine this problem ever going away.

wolfix said:
I'm with you.

I always thought part of the cycling attraction was the controversies........
Well I think that's definitely part of the attraction of participating in cycling forums like this for many of us.

Crankyfeet said:
If there were a heap of clean riders in the peloton... you'd think that someone would stick up for them. But this cynical attitude that it's not worth chasing them up because it will be detrimental to the sport... as Lim and others say... is totally contradictory to their "We take no prisoners" propaganda. They know the problem is pervasive. Their worried about themselves. There's obviously a point where they stop standing up for the honest athletes.

Hard to imagine this problem ever going away.

The problem won't go away, I agree.

The lure of the sport, for me at least, was the ability of riders to go beyond what the rest of us mere mortals could not tolerate - without having to resort to doping.

I have no doubt that riders can ride clean in the peloton.
Whether or not they can win clean is another question.