McQuaid against retesting

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by TheDarkLord, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

The same people who say they don't care if the riders are doping (they just want to see exciting racing) are the same people who bought Armstrong's myths about winning because he trained more, trained harder and trained smarter. So which do you want?

2. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Can't/won't do it!
    It's like watching professional wrestling; it's like watching a Jerry Springer show; it's like a woman with fake boobs...I can't follow Pro cycling with an ignorant, blissful look on my face knowing it's really just a highly controlled/contrived farce...I know many other endeavors in life are just as farcical, but once my eyes have been opened to them, for me, there's no going back to be being blind...

3. Flyer

Flyer Banned

hdhd

4. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

this actually kinda makes me laugh... so what do you think you were watching all this time? dope isn't a new thing in cycling... it's always been there.. all the great champions doped... Merxk doped and was even caught... you honestly thought cycling was any where approaching clean at any point in it's history... cycling is and always has been a dirty sport... and hate to break it to you but, it's your parents not santa or the easter bunny or even the tooth fairy.. sorry..

this is like a before when you would tell someone that wrestling was fake and they wouldn't believe you or like you say that springer is made up stories.. c'mon no one could be that naive... why at this point in history after cycling has been dirty for over a hundred years are you now tired of it? so you never liked it then?

5. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to step on your toes, but just because you wish to continue to be naive, don't go throwin' stones at me.:D I'm new to this "sport" (within the past 2 years) and as such was naive initially, but I won't continue to believe in Santa, even if you and others wish to...more power to ya'...

Let me say "Sorry" ahead of time as I'm not getting into an internet pissing match with you about this matter so you'll probably be disappointed in my failure to respond to any further replies...

Almost forgot to add: my feelings about Pro cycling at this time are not about the simple fact of doping - it is expressly a response to McQuaid's failure to see the importance in retro testing now that they apparently have the technology to bust even more dopers...

6. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

Wow, McQuaid seems to be desperate for his brown envelopes! Is he running short on cash or something? Maybe he has lost a lot of money in the current financial turmoil? :p

7. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

how am i naive? i have known cycling was dirty and always was... i just don't happen to care and enjoy the freak show...

i happen to agree with you about McQuaid... i think that he is incredibly incompetent and irresponsible and really needs to go because i think cycling needs to be cleaned up.. but not for moral reasons but for practical reasons.. mostly that it's scaring sponsors away and that will mean the end of the sport if it continues the way it's going... it's time to get serious and end doping in cycling..

8. ilpirata

ilpirata New Member

I'm with you. This is just damage control. A few scapegoats pay. Others get off scott free. Also, the revelation of epo in Armstrongs retro test was a violation of his rights. Fine, but so why did they further reveal other riders identities from 1999 that showed evidence of epo usage.
    do two wrongs make a right?
    And what of the 1998 samples? The identities are still protected there.
    I say let it all out. It is not right that some cyclists are removed from the sport and calumnied, while others are treated as legends of the sport, if they all are in fact cheating. If there is not fairness and honesty in sport, then there is no sport. My opinion obviously.

9. poulidor

poulidor New Member

McQuaid stays an idiot and a liar !
    From http://sports.voila.fr/cmc/cyclisme/200844/mcquaid-tout-est-une-question-de-compromis_201657.html

Some emphasis were done by me :cool:

10. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

"I'm sure Schumacher and Kohl would have never doped if they were not looking for a contract."

this has to be the gem of the interview. the statement neglects to recognise that both riders would most likely have been offered contracts, but they might not have commanded the money they feel they deserve. both were pumping up their palmares in hopes of getting a contract commensurate with the ones they had.

11. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I'm with you.

I always thought part of the cycling attraction was the controversies........

12. Trev_S

Trev_S New Member

bump...........

13. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Hhhhmmmm. Touchè.

14. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

If there were a heap of clean riders in the peloton... you'd think that someone would stick up for them. But this cynical attitude that it's not worth chasing them up because it will be detrimental to the sport... as Lim and others say... is totally contradictory to their "We take no prisoners" propaganda. They know the problem is pervasive. Their worried about themselves. There's obviously a point where they stop standing up for the honest athletes.

Hard to imagine this problem ever going away.

15. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Well I think that's definitely part of the attraction of participating in cycling forums like this for many of us.

16. Trev_S

Trev_S New Member

Controversy creates debate.

17. poulidor

poulidor New Member

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

The problem won't go away, I agree.

The lure of the sport, for me at least, was the ability of riders to go beyond what the rest of us mere mortals could not tolerate - without having to resort to doping.

I have no doubt that riders can ride clean in the peloton.
    Whether or not they can win clean is another question.

19. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member