McQuaid, Meet the Man Who Wants to Replace You

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by alienator, Jun 3, 2013.

1. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Tags:

2. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

putting long odds on cookson supplanting pat, although i'm glad to see someone try. perhaps the latest positives from the giro will bring other voters to cast a ballot against the "steady on course" current captain.

3. ambal

ambal Active Member

Rumor is more are on the way.

4. alienator

I dunno. The article said that Cookson had been querying other federations about their thoughts about him running. I assume that he got a lot of positive feedback, else I doubt he would have announced his run today. I think if you couple that with the serious loss in credibility for the UCI and serious questions about the future role of the UCI or even its future existence, a lot of federations are likely to see McQuaid as the star gone supernova albatross( whose core radius is quickily decreasing and passing the Schwarzschild radius) around cycling's neck that is eventually going to rip the UCI to shreds on its way to the newly formed singularity of disreputability and irrelevance. Things could be already and are likely approaching a time when McQuaid's promises about future races and other cycling benefits no longer have any value to said federations whatsoever.

5. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

pat is taking the challenge seriously, given his quick attack on cookson. perhaps mc quaid fears that the other national federations were paying lip service to his candidacy while hoping/planning to vote for any challenger to mc quaid. wondering what deals are being made over the phones at this time.

6. ambal

ambal Active Member

If pat had any sense, he would step down and go away quietly. I can't see this happening.

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I can't see it happening either.
    McQuaid will attempt to hold on to power come what may unfortunately.

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

9. alienator

I hope the estimate of Irish cycling clubs against McQuaid's re-election really is 4:1.

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

It's difficult to know, alienator.

A group of us have spent the best part of the last 8-12 weeks meeting with, phoning, emailing, bribing, persuading clubs and the delegates about the EGM.
    I can tell you that the McQuaid supporters have been lobbying those same clubs too.

I know that there is sufficient opposition to McQuaid from the sport here. Whether it is sufficient to scupper his nomination or not is difficult to assess at this point.
    It won't be for the want to trying to scupper this presidency.

11. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

with the news that the swiss federation is reconsidering its position concerning the current uci boss, perhaps mc quaid has something to worry about.

12. alienator

Yep. He certainly isn't sure what the result of the EGM will be, and with the Swiss reconsidering their position under the weight of intense scrutiny by the media, some big movers, and some federations, the Irish federation in particular, I'm willing to be he's at least nervous and suffering from a hefty case of dyspepsia. He also has to see that almost no one responded in his favor to his accusatory messages re: Cookson and others.

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Interviewed on current affairs programme on TV tonight, following a clip including Jorge Jakshe Travis Tygart and some doctors, McQuaid gets interviewed.
    Go to the link and at about 25min, you'll see the clip and the interview. Pat looks rattled.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10156917/

14. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

HA when quizzed about the positives from retesting 1999 samples, he's more concerned about rules regarding retesting samples being broken. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

15. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

He's a tosser, Steve.

16. alienator

17. alienator

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

19. alienator

It's a damn fine decision and in a just world, it would carry great weight with the Swiss Federation.

limerickman likes this.
  20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Thanks.

The EGM was a close run thing but sense finally prevailed. I'm reliably informed that McQuaid went ballistic when he heard the news /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif