me ol' rolfs

Callistus Valerius

Guest
Anyone know how long these rolf wheels last that I affectionately call
me ol' wagon wheels. I have 13,000 miles on my vector comps, and had them
trued once at the 5000 mile mark. Also own some Vector pros with about 6000
miles on them. What would the Vector Pros be worth in today's market?

Try checking out wheel sales on Ebay to get estimates of their resale
value.
At a guess, I would say a pair of Pros in good condition with those
miles could go for anywhere from 200 to 350 dollars.
The market seems pretty hot right now for name brand wheelsets, even
used. I tried several times to bid on some Bontrager Race Lites but
prices are too high for me.

r.b.

"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone know how long these rolf wheels last that I affectionately call
> me ol' wagon wheels. I have 13,000 miles on my vector comps, and had them
> trued once at the 5000 mile mark. Also own some Vector pros with about 6000
> miles on them. What would the Vector Pros be worth in today's market?

> Anyone know how long these rolf wheels last that I affectionately call
> me ol' wagon wheels. I have 13,000 miles on my vector comps, and had them
> trued once at the 5000 mile mark. Also own some Vector pros with about

6000
> miles on them. What would the Vector Pros be worth in today's market?

As for what they're worth, I couldn't say. As for how long they should
last, 13,000 miles is about a year for me and well below that for many pros.
They had better last well beyond 13,000 miles. I'm still riding wheels that
have more than three times that and that cost about a third what a set of
Rolfs used to cost.

Bob C.

> As for what they're worth, I couldn't say. As for how long they should
> last, 13,000 miles is about a year for me and well below that for many

pros.
> They had better last well beyond 13,000 miles. I'm still riding wheels

that
> have more than three times that and that cost about a third what a set of
> Rolfs used to cost.

Wheel durability is a complicated equation and the ultimate "your mileage
may vary" sort of thing. We have customers with well over 20k miles on Race
X-Lites and Rolf V-Pros, and other who kill them in under 10k. Same thing
for conventional wheels. Rider weight is *not* the biggest determinant
either.

You wanna know who kills wheels most quickly? The guy (always a guy) who's
trying to hang in there in high-speed "training" rides (not always sure what
they're "training" for) who can do little more than hang on to the wheel in
front of them. Finesse goes out the window as they're constantly running
past max, and, being towards the rear of the group, potholes just seem to
mysteriously materialize underneath their wheels. The best way to make
wheels last longer (under such circumstances) is with a wider tire.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com