meal replacement and recovery drink

ghostpedal

Jul 26, 2004
Hey all! Due to my schedule, I ride very early in the morning, and by the time I get back to the house I have to eat and get ready for work quickly. An ideal situation for me would be to eat or drink something prepackaged that could serve as a meal replacement and assist in recovery at the same time. This way I could either get to work earlier, or more likely, extend my morning ride by a few minutes. Does anyone have any experience they would like to share about this type of thing? Riding minutes are tough to find, but this would give me a few precious more. Thanks in advance for your always helpful replies.

For me when time is limited before or after ride, i drink Boost. it works very well for recovery, 15grm protien, 33grms carbs, 6grms fat, 170mg sodium 380mg potassium., 240 cals. down side is you have to catch it on sale because if you don't it's kinda spendy. i just bought several 6 packs for 4 bucks each, compared to 7-9 bucks. Ensure works well also,complete nutrition in a bottle.

Thanks for the info. I had heard of people using those kind of drinks, but hadn't heard about much personal experience. I'll give it a go, and see what happens. Thanks again.

I lift weights as much as I go cycling. After I lift I use a meal replacement product called Ultramet, made by Champion Nutrition. It is similar to MetRx but cheaper and mixes better. I would think it would work fine in your situation.

Thanks for the advice. What I like about this forum is not only the advice on good products, but most everyone is out to help you save $ also. As I am not independently wealthy, it's a nice touch. Thanks.

ghostpedal said:
Hey all! Due to my schedule, I ride very early in the morning, and by the time I get back to the house I have to eat and get ready for work quickly. An ideal situation for me would be to eat or drink something prepackaged that could serve as a meal replacement and assist in recovery at the same time. This way I could either get to work earlier, or more likely, extend my morning ride by a few minutes. Does anyone have any experience they would like to share about this type of thing? Riding minutes are tough to find, but this would give me a few precious more. Thanks in advance for your always helpful replies.

why not, the night before or whenever, make a pasta or rice salad to eat for when you get back from training. proper food, satisfying, and better for your health on a regular basis than replacement drinks (which are necessary, but i wouldn't want them every day after training).

assuming that you're an average sized male (i could be wrong, and my apologies if you're not) then the Boost energy drink would not supply anwhere near enough fuel post exercise to help you recover. after intense sessions or long endurance you need ~ 1 to 1.5 g of carbohydrate per kg body mass (e.g., 70 - 105 g in our 70 kg person).

Ric

I would not waste time with artificial stuff too much for just that extra few mins of riding, especialy if you already ride enough. If realy are pushed for time or you realy have had a extra hard training session then you can get a protein recovery drink, another alternitive is to use a normal isotonic but maybe make it slightly hypertonic for the extra carbs but only light hyper mind and only about 250ml. For protein I often mix 200ml of no fat or half fat milk (skimmed or semmi) 1 banana and the equivilent of 1 pint of milk made from skimmed milk powder. You get easily enough protein from the milk and milk power, it's easier to drink because it's more condense (try drink over a pint of milk quickly straight after a work out, it's tough), the banana... well... we all know that's good for you but further to that it's got nearly the perfect balance of carbs in there for post exersice (or pre for that matter), most recovery drinks use milk protein anyway and finaly it's prettymuch natural therefore MAYBE better than factory protein drinks. Get my point.... phew...

Also try smoothies such as berries mixed with this milk, powdered milk or even yoghurt in any combo. experiment, the world is your smoothie. As you have mushed/blended the fruit in you drink you will digest it pretty quick.
Don't mistake this for a replacement, it's a suppliment only. It's not healthy to replace meals.

I used to make smoothies a lot, but have slacked off recently. That would be a good addition to a bowl of cereal for recovery. I have been getting everything ready the night before to save me time. Thanks for the reply, and keep riding.

I agree with Jan from the UK. The majority of the drinks are produced using a protein concentrate produced from the hydrolyzation of casein (milk protein). There is no additional benefit drinking a prehydrolyzed protein drink when your stomach does it for you. Non Fat Dry Milk mixed with skim milk (whatever you like), fruit, et al is quick, but so is getting up a half hour earlier and making time to eat. It is cheaper and you can eat whole foods. These drinks are not a substitute for a balanced diet. Infact, you're paying a company to provide you with a "balanced meal" in a can.