Meal replacement shakes

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by :-\), Mar 2, 2004.

  1. :-\)

    :-\) Guest

    OK

    I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
    mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
    health club 5x per week, and I'm 40 lbs overweight.

    I consume alcohol on weekends when I socialize and go out for dinner. Yes, I need to cut back there.

    I hate to cook for myself.

    Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken or
    fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.

    I've been to nutritionists before, who has time to sit and count calories, count carbs, blah, blah,
    blah. When I'm at the table I want to eat, I don't want to count or weigh anything!!!

    So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose? Summers coming, I want to drop
    weight now!!

    Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

    Tags:

  2. Oldal4865

    Oldal4865 Guest

    -) wrote in message ...
    >OK
    >
    >I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
    >mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
    >health club 5x per
    week,
    >and I'm 40 lbs overweight.
    >. . .(snip). . .
    >
    >I hate to cook for myself.
    >
    >Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken or
    >fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.
    >. . .(snip). ..
    >
    >So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose? Summers
    coming,
    >I want to drop weight now!!
    >
    >Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

    You go into this experiement with your eyes wide open, taking small steps, and looking for some
    serious booby-traps.

    Many/most (?) of those diet meals are decidedly not diabetic-friendly.

    e.g. Slim-Fast: 54% by weight "sugars" , and a big hunk of those as fructose which is thought to do
    some nasty things to cholesterol etc, an area which is already life-threatening to many Type 2
    diabetics.

    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=12122&catid=49472&trx=29384&t ab=0#0

    I have seen ads for Glucerna products which claim that the stuff is better suited for diabetics. Who
    knows? They do have a lot of fructose in them and that's not recommended for diabetics.

    http://www.pricetool.com/content_45667094148

    The Glucerna snack bars don't excite me. . .palm oil (Shudder. . .why not just stick an ice pick in
    your chest?) High fructose corn syrup,

    http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=77575&catid=49471&trx=29384&t ab=0#0

    If you care to experiment, don't buy it by the case, the experiment may be a total failure.

    Be alert for:

    f. High blood sugars
    g. Diarrhea
    h. Increased LDL, triglycerides.

    That means take a hard look at your blood sugars at one, two and perhaps three hours after the shake
    to see what is going on. Talk to your doc about a look at your lipid panel. You might be able to get
    a lab order and a look at the answers entirely by phone through one of your doc's nurses. Pay close
    attention to LDL and triglycerides.

    One opinion:

    If I had to lose 40 lb, I would go Atkins. I have seen it work though I also regard it as
    somewhat of an I.Q. test as well as a diet.

    Regards
    Old Al

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  5. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:48:01 GMT, ":-\)"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
    >mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
    >health club 5x per week, and I'm 40 lbs overweight.

    40 lbs is a lot...........your condition would improve significantly if you can get it off.

    >I consume alcohol on weekends when I socialize and go out for dinner. Yes, I need to cut
    >back there.

    My advice - from experience - is to cut the alcohol out completely. If you do so then you will see
    the difference in weight loss. You might not think so but drinking every week end will add more
    calories for you to try an loose. Try it. When your weight is reduced, then consider a few treats.
    One other thing.......drinking alcohol will distent your gut and then you will feel the need to fill
    it - with food. So stopping the booze will help your stomach shrink.

    >I hate to cook for myself.

    Me too!

    >Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken or
    >fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.

    Last meal would be my preference.

    >I've been to nutritionists before, who has time to sit and count calories, count carbs, blah, blah,
    >blah. When I'm at the table I want to eat, I don't want to count or weigh anything!!!

    That is how i look at it so the only other choice you have is to cut out certain food types
    completely or reduce down to a trace and reduce volume.

    >So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose? Summers coming, I want to drop
    >weight now!!

    >Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

    IMHO I think it sounds like you need to develop a bit of self discipline. Never mind the summer -
    you need to get that weight off. And searching for alternatives is not really the best way.

    Pete

    Diagnosed 20/03/03 Type II D&E + Metformin + Gliclazide
    + Asprin 210lbs at Dx to BMI 166lbs achieved. To mail: aspen at freeuk.com

  6. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    ":)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK
    >
    > I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
    > mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
    > health club 5x per
    week,
    > and I'm 40 lbs overweight.
    >
    > I consume alcohol on weekends when I socialize and go out for dinner.
    Yes,
    > I need to cut back there.
    >
    > I hate to cook for myself.
    >
    > Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken
    > or fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.
    >
    > I've been to nutritionists before, who has time to sit and count calories, count carbs, blah,
    > blah, blah. When I'm at the table I want to eat, I
    don't
    > want to count or weigh anything!!!
    >
    > So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose? Summers
    coming,
    > I want to drop weight now!!
    >
    > Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

    It sounds like you are only testing your overnight sugars. Does this mean after you get up? What
    about your BG at two hours after eating? That's the most important number. Try the shakes and see if
    they work for you. If your BG is <140 at an hour after eating and <120 at two hours after eating,
    then they are fine. But like the others said, they are loaded with sugar. And they are no guarantee
    that you'll lose weight. I know plenty of people who tried the shakes and instead of losing weight,
    they gained weight. Why? The shakes left them hungry. So they ate food on top of the shakes!

    If you don't want to cook, you might take a look at some of the frozen dinners that are out there.
    I've found a few of them that fit into my meal plan.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  7. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:48:01 GMT, ":-\)"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I hate to cook for myself.

    Why? It's not rocket science.

    Not trying to be nasty here. With a blender, a bit of recipe googling (or asking here), and a trip
    to the supermarket you could design your own perfectly balanced "diet-shake". Make it once a week in
    bulk and freeze it in meal sizes.

    It would cost heaps less and you'd know what was in it.

    Personally, I can't give you a recipe because I prefer to cook a real meal. Like I said, it's not
    rocket science.

    Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

  8. -) wrote:
    > OK
    >
    > I am a 45 yr old Male Hispanic, live alone, take Glucophage 2x daily, overnight sugars about 110
    > mg/dl, see my endocrinologist every 3 months, suffer from sleep apnea (use cpap), work out at the
    > health club 5x per week, and I'm 40 lbs overweight.
    >
    > I consume alcohol on weekends when I socialize and go out for dinner. Yes, I need to cut
    > back there.
    >
    > I hate to cook for myself.

    Sounds like you are single <g>. I'm married, but my wife hates to cook, even TV dinners. However,
    when she does cook, it's easy to eat small portions (if you know what I mean. <wink>)

    I never had the need to cook until I was diagnosed T2, a few years ago. Unfortunately, by that time
    I had some permanent cognitive deficits (e.g. short term memory, executive functions, etc.). The
    bottom line was that I had become permanently learning disabled. So it was difficult to learn
    anything new (no problem with the old stuff), like finding the ingredients in the pantry or
    refrigerator (especially if they got moved or something is put in front of them).

    > Seriously thinking of trying the diet shake for two meals, and eating a sensible (salad, chicken
    > or fish) meal for either the mid day meal or last meal.

    I've often considered the 'old' Slim-Fast (they seem to have some 'new' lo carb products now) for
    one meal a day, because my internist (specialty nutrition) indicated that, for me, Slim-Fast was so
    nutritious, that the carb count was secondary.... FOR ME. Don't know about you. You'd have to see my
    doctor <LOL>.

    (I posted this a couple years ago and was told I should get a new doctor, that he didn't know what
    he was talking about, etc. etc. etc. so, be prepared to consider the tradeoff, good nutrition or low
    carbs. I am unable to indicate anything about this other than my doctor is diplomated in nutrition
    and I trust him.)

    > I've been to nutritionists before, who has time to sit and count calories, count carbs, blah,
    > blah, blah. When I'm at the table I want to eat, I don't want to count or weigh anything!!!

    You are not alone.

    > So I go on the diet shake 2x a day, what do I have to lose?

    Seems that you could answer your question yourself, by eating what and how much you want and testing
    your two-hour post-prandial bgs.

    HTH. I am far from being a diabetes expert. AAMOF, I am quite ignorant, but I AM smart, just
    ask..... me.

    HTH

    > Summers coming, I want to drop weight now!!
    >
    > Anyone try this? Any preferences on brand of diet shake mix?

  9. Dennis Roark

    Dennis Roark Guest

    [email protected]:

    > "oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:c228k7$> The Glucerna snack bars don't excite me. .
    > .palm oil (Shudder. . .why not
    >> just stick an ice pick in your chest?)
    >
    > http://xix.cx/netclips/conspiracy/oiling.htm

    Thanks for the link to this long article critical of the
    lipid hypothesis. Long, but a very important read. The
    article focuses on types of fats in the diet, the long
    misusue of statistics to promote lowering of cholesterol,
    and the harm that has comes from this standard doctrine of
    the lipid hypothesis. It doesn't mention the harm that may
    be coming from the enormous use of lipid lowering drugs, the
    statins. I am convinced that the reports of cognitive
    deficit arising from the use of statins have some truth. It
    may be due to the statins inhibiting cholesterol use in the
    brain. The lipid hypothesis error, therefore, may have
    deleterious effects both on cardiac health and cognitive
    abilities.

    --
    Dennis Roark

    [email protected] Starting Points:
    http://sio.midco.net/denro/www

  10. Annette

    Annette Guest

    "Dennis Roark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > [email protected]:
    >

    > > "oldal4865" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:c228k7$> The Glucerna snack bars don't excite me. .
    > > .palm oil (Shudder. . .why not
    > >> just stick an ice pick in your chest?)
    > >
    > > http://xix.cx/netclips/conspiracy/oiling.htm
    > >

    > Thanks for the link to this long article critical of the
    > lipid hypothesis. Long, but a very important read. The
    > article focuses on types of fats in the diet, the long
    > misusue of statistics to promote lowering of cholesterol,
    > and the harm that has comes from this standard doctrine of
    > the lipid hypothesis. It doesn't mention the harm that may
    > be coming from the enormous use of lipid lowering drugs,
    > the statins. I am convinced that the reports of cognitive
    > deficit arising from the use of statins have some truth.
    > It may be due to the statins inhibiting cholesterol use in
    > the brain. The lipid hypothesis error, therefore, may have
    > deleterious effects both on cardiac health and cognitive
    > abilities.
    >
    > --
    > Dennis Roark

    Hi there Dennis,

    Like yourself, I am somewhat uncertain about the current
    focus on cholesterol and fat/oil intake, and associated
    medications.

    A certain level of cholesterol is necessary for a healthy
    body. It is so important that if one cuts one's intake of
    dietary cholesterol sources, the body will manufacture it's
    own, to keep the level stable. That fact is one of the
    frustrations facing those who believe their cholesterol
    levels are too high. It can be darn hard to reduce it to
    what is currently considered a healthy level. Hence the
    development of the statin class of drugs.

    Cholesterol is involved in many of the body's processes,
    including the formation of new brain tissue, and another
    interesting function is it's involvement in the production
    of Vit D in the skin of those exposed to sufficient
    sunlight. Vit D is essential for many bodily functions, and
    it's lack can predispose people to a varity of deficiency
    disorders, some of which are very subtle, or showing up
    many years later, like osteoporosis or other bone
    deficiencies in the elderly. There is even recent research
    that indicates low Vit D levels may be involved in the
    development of diabetes.

    Current medical opinion seems to be that high cholesterol
    levels per se are associated with atheriosclerosis and the
    subsequent blockage of both large and small blood vessels,
    leading to fatal heart attacks, the major cause of death in
    developed countries.

    Yet I still have a sneaking suspicion that the whole thing
    is a lot more complex than such a simple approach. There is
    the actual profile of the lipids that constitute that "total
    cholesterol", and the part that elevated triglycerides may
    play. Trigs are notoriously difficult to lower using the low
    fat, take statins approach, and yet "strangely" seem to
    respond to carbohydrate intake or some of the oils.

    Some oils seem to be benificial, while others appear to do
    damage. There's trans-fats, which have been shown to be
    really "bad" guys. (Except for the ones found naturally in
    milk fats, which our bodies handle very nicely, thank you!)

    Then there's palm oil, which see the original comment
    "(Shudder. . .why not just stick an ice pick in your
    chest?)" It is often confused with coconut oil and palm
    kernel oil, but it's constituent oils are quite different.

    For some simple info about palm oil, see;

    http://www.mpopc.org.my/abtenbopo2.htm

    or a more official and technical article see;

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&-
    db=PubMed&list_uids=11975364&dopt=Abstract

    It looks like it is as good, at least, as olive oil, and may
    even be a little better! It actually improved the health of
    arteries! It is rather a nice thing if one can addtionally
    obtain the cold, virgin oil, for more neat benefits.

    This post is already too long, but if you'd like to read
    more about some other oils with a bad rap, see this one on
    coconut oil, at;

    http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/coconut_oil.html

    Have fun,

    Annette