Mean Maximal Crank torque Charts in WKO+

jetnjeff

Mar 17, 2006
Has any one been able to create one of these from PT data?

I am trying to make a more use out of my MTB files. Unless doing specific repeats, I rarely get any peak CPs even MTB during races. I have come to the conclusion that TSS of specific rides are a good indicator. If I have been getting regular MTB rides with equivelant (to races) TSS I am more prepared for the races. Much more than My 1, 5 or 20 min CPs.

The VI needs to be similar as well.

I am trying to find more insight and think that Crank torque may shed some, as the it seems to be higher for me in a MTB than on the Road.

jetnjeff said:
Has any one been able to create one of these from PT data?

I am trying to make a more use out of my MTB files. Unless doing specific repeats, I rarely get any peak CPs even MTB during races. I have come to the conclusion that TSS of specific rides are a good indicator. If I have been getting regular MTB rides with equivelant (to races) TSS I am more prepared for the races. Much more than My 1, 5 or 20 min CPs.

The VI needs to be similar as well.

I am trying to find more insight and think that Crank torque may shed some, as the it seems to be higher for me in a MTB than on the Road.
Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...Has anybody seen Mr Bueller? :)

Is this possible or is it a pipe dream? Analyzing torque this way, I mean.

Jeff

jetnjeff said:
Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...Has anybody seen Mr Bueller? :)

Jeff
I'm not sure what it'll achieve anyway - sounds a bit like just focussing on cadence. What about doing a quadrant analysis instead?

jetnjeff said:
Sure. You just need to convert from hub torque to crank torque via the gear ratio. You can get the gear ratio from speed and cadence. If you're anal you can correct to actual gear ratios but that's not really necessary since torque is a red herring.

Alex Simmons said:
I'm not sure what it'll achieve anyway - sounds a bit like just focussing on cadence. What about doing a quadrant analysis instead?
QA pretty much shows what you would expect. MTB is lower cadence and haiger torque in general than Road Riding. So this reinforces the specificity of training.

On the other hand when we look at our files we look for different intervals 1, 5 20, 60 min and so forth. I can pick out a MTB and a Road file where many of these are the same when looking at NP and AP or MTB rides that felt much harder but had lower NP/APs.

Anyway WKO+ has a Crank Torque Channel. But does not produce any results.
I wanted to know if anybody has gotten it to work.

RChung said:
Sure. You just need to convert from hub torque to crank torque via the gear ratio. You can get the gear ratio from speed and cadence. If you're anal you can correct to actual gear ratios but that's not really necessary since torque is a red herring.
Just like before WKO+ we did not see certain trends, maybe seeing top CPs in the Crank torque channel would be enlightening...but maybe not. We won't know untill we see it.

It is in the Software, I just need to know how to make it work.
Chart Type = Custom Periodic Chart
Content = Mean Maximal
Channel = Crank Torque

jetnjeff said:
Just like before WKO+ we did not see certain trends, maybe seeing top CPs in the Crank torque channel would be enlightening...but maybe not. We won't know untill we see it.

It is in the Software, I just need to know how to make it work.
Chart Type = Custom Periodic Chart
Content = Mean Maximal
Channel = Crank Torque
Could it be because PT files do not have Crank Torque data? - TF

Terry Ferguson said:
Could it be because PT files do not have Crank Torque data? - TF
It may very well come down to that, but WKO+ does calclate crank torque for each ride file gragh, along with cadence, Speed etc.

As you can get mean maximal for NP (which is calculated) in these charts as well, one would think that it could also calculate crank torque.