Measuring break calipers ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alex, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Shimano R600 Long Reach 57mm Dual Pivot Brake set

    The above says that the calipers are long reach at 57mm. Where is that measurment taken? From what
    point to what point? ALex

    Tags:

  2. Alex wrote:
    > Shimano R600 Long Reach 57mm Dual Pivot Brake set
    >
    > The above says that the calipers are long reach at 57mm. Where is that measurment taken? From what
    > point to what point?

    "Reach" is one of the many bicycle terms explained in my Bicycle Glossary.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_r.html#reach

    Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary" Brown
    | Give a man a fire, and he will stay warm for a day. | Set a man on fire, he stays warm for the
    | rest of his life. |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shimano R600 Long Reach 57mm Dual Pivot Brake set
    >
    > The above says that the calipers are long reach at 57mm. Where is that measurment taken? From what
    > point to what point?

    Center of brake mounting bolt to the center of the brake shoe bolt at the lowest point in the slot
    is 57mm. That brake at the highest point of shoe adjustment is 47mm.

  4. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Thank you!! Alex

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:13:02 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Shimano R600 Long Reach 57mm Dual Pivot Brake set
    >>
    >> The above says that the calipers are long reach at 57mm. Where is that measurment taken? From
    >> what point to what point?
    >

    >Center of brake mounting bolt to the center of the brake shoe bolt at the lowest point in the slot
    >is 57mm. That brake at the highest point of shoe adjustment is 47mm.

  5. "Center of brake mounting bolt to the center of the brake shoe bolt at the lowest point in the slot
    is 57mm. That brake at the highest point of shoe adjustment is 47mm.
    --
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971"

    Sheldon's site uses this to. How would you apply this to "U" brakes? They have no center bolt.

    Obvoiusly, Canti's and Linear pulls ("V" brakes) do not apply here. The much I can surmise.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected])> "Center of brake mounting bolt to the center of the brake shoe bolt at
    > the lowest point in the slot is 57mm. That brake at the highest point of shoe adjustment is 47mm.

    "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sheldon's site uses this to. How would you apply this to "U" brakes? They have no center bolt.
    > Obvoiusly, Canti's and Linear pulls ("V" brakes) do not apply here. The much I can surmise.

    The subject line is "calipers"