measuring wheel rim width

C.J.Patten

Guest
I've taken my tire off to measure rim width (eg: as it relates to tire width
not wheel diameter).

Is this supposed to be the "narrow" measurement between the flanges or the
interior, wide area where the tire bead would be seated?

FWIW, the narrow comes in at 17mm, the wide at about 19mm.

Thanks,
Chris

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:51:09 -0400, "C.J.Patten"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've taken my tire off to measure rim width (eg: as it relates to tire width
>not wheel diameter).
>
>Is this supposed to be the "narrow" measurement between the flanges or the
>interior, wide area where the tire bead would be seated?
>
>FWIW, the narrow comes in at 17mm, the wide at about 19mm.

FWIW, many years ago I came across a document from Mavic which had all
their then current rim profiles diagrammed and dimensioned. No
interior dimensions were listed. Instead they only had: 1)outside
width, 2) width of braking area, and 3) section depth.

I'm not sure this is indicative of the industry; but if it is, any rim
width one comes across is the outside dimension.

BTW, I just opened this document and it's dated 1997. :)

YAFWIW, I just recalled that Alex had rim section diagrams on their
web site, and they have outside width and inside width (at the bead)
diagrammed. So YMMV.

Okay, so now I'm getting a bit obsessive, but since Peter Chisolm has
been touting Velocity rims here lately I thought I'd check their web
site. A cursory scan finds they have illustrations of their rim
sections, but list NO dimensions. Boo!

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:34:38 GMT, I
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Okay, so now I'm getting a bit obsessive, but since Peter Chisolm has
>been touting Velocity rims here lately I thought I'd check their web
>site. A cursory scan finds they have illustrations of their rim
>sections, but list NO dimensions. Boo!

Before someone (Peter?) calls me on this, since I posted the above I
went back to the Velocity web site and did some more digging. Turns
out they have a quite good page with section diagrams of each of their
rims, including ERD. However, as with the old Mavic data sheet I
referenced, the only width given is the outside measurement.

See: http://velocityusa.com/rim-diagrams.php

John Everett writes:

>> Okay, so now I'm getting a bit obsessive, but since Peter Chisholm
>> has been touting Velocity rims here lately I thought I'd check
>> their web site. A cursory scan finds they have illustrations of
>> their rim sections, but list NO dimensions. Boo!

> Before someone (Peter?) calls me on this, since I posted the above I
> went back to the Velocity web site and did some more digging. Turns
> out they have a quite good page with section diagrams of each of
> their rims, including ERD. However, as with the old Mavic data sheet
> I referenced, the only width given is the outside measurement.

> See: http://velocityusa.com/rim-diagrams.php

Wow! What a compendium of wacko cross sections. That looks like a
lot of gratuitous inventory of tooling and rims. Actually, some
appear more than once in the chart, having different diameters. Just
the same, the shapes defy justification in technical terms. Looks
like fashion to me.

Jobst Brandt

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:34:38 GMT, I
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Okay, so now I'm getting a bit obsessive, but since Peter Chisolm has
>>been touting Velocity rims here lately I thought I'd check their web
>>site. A cursory scan finds they have illustrations of their rim
>>sections, but list NO dimensions. Boo!

> Before someone (Peter?) calls me on this, since I posted the above I
> went back to the Velocity web site and did some more digging. Turns
> out they have a quite good page with section diagrams of each of their
> rims, including ERD. However, as with the old Mavic data sheet I
> referenced, the only width given is the outside measurement.
>
> See: http://velocityusa.com/rim-diagrams.php
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Hey John - thanks for that.

On Sheldon's page: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

I found this in the section titled "The ISO (E.T.R.T.O.) System"

"The ISO system uses two numbers; the first is the width of the tire or rim
in millimeters (The actual tire width will vary a bit depending on the width
of the rim. The rim width is measured between the flanges.)"

....which is why I thought the measurement was the inside of the rim.

Maybe someone (Jobst? Sheldon?) would step forward and give us a definitive
answer on what to measure.

Cheers,
Chris

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:54:08 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:34:38 GMT, I
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Okay, so now I'm getting a bit obsessive, but since Peter Chisolm has
>>been touting Velocity rims here lately I thought I'd check their web
>>site. A cursory scan finds they have illustrations of their rim
>>sections, but list NO dimensions. Boo!

>Before someone (Peter?) calls me on this, since I posted the above I
>went back to the Velocity web site and did some more digging. Turns
>out they have a quite good page with section diagrams of each of their
>rims, including ERD. However, as with the old Mavic data sheet I
>referenced, the only width given is the outside measurement.
>
>See: http://velocityusa.com/rim-diagrams.php
>

>jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Dear John,

You're right--that's a good page of rim section diagrams.

I'd never seen a rim quite like the flat-roof cinder-block
style of the heavy-duty Glider and Twin Hollow rims.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

John Everett wrote:
-snip-
> Okay, so now I'm getting a bit obsessive, but since Peter Chisolm has
> been touting Velocity rims here lately I thought I'd check their web
> site. A cursory scan finds they have illustrations of their rim
> sections, but list NO dimensions. Boo!

How about these numbers from their catalog:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/velspec.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:01:24 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:54:08 GMT, John Everett
><[email protected]> wrote:

>>Before someone (Peter?) calls me on this, since I posted the above I
>>went back to the Velocity web site and did some more digging. Turns
>>out they have a quite good page with section diagrams of each of their
>>rims, including ERD. However, as with the old Mavic data sheet I
>>referenced, the only width given is the outside measurement.
>>
>>See: http://velocityusa.com/rim-diagrams.php

>You're right--that's a good page of rim section diagrams.
>
>I'd never seen a rim quite like the flat-roof cinder-block
>style of the heavy-duty Glider and Twin Hollow rims.

Really? That Glider's more or less the standard shape of a $10 rim over
here. Single-wall, no eyelets. The two circular hollows mean you can do
the welding with a few press-fit pieces of heavy steel wire rather than
some nifty little block that you have to specifically keep in place -- and
I have the feeling I've encountered ones that weren't welded at all, for
that matter.

Jasper