meat and seafood / gout

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    <<snip>> meat and seafood consumption are associated with an
    increased risk of gout <<snip>>

    Purine-Rich Foods, Dairy and Protein Intake, and the Risk of
    Gout in Men Choi, Atkinson et al NEJM Vol 350:1093-1103
    March 11, 2004 No. 11

    ABSTRACT

    Background Various purine-rich foods and high protein
    intake have long been thought to be risk factors for
    gout. Similarly, the possibility that the consumption of
    dairy products has a role in protecting against gout has
    been raised by metabolic studies. We prospectively
    investigated the association of these dietary factors
    with new cases of gout.

    Methods Over a 12-year period, we prospectively examined the
    relationship between purported dietary risk factors and new
    cases of gout among 47,150 men who had no history of gout at
    base line. We used a supplementary questionnaire to
    ascertain whether participants met the American College of
    Rheumatology survey criteria for gout. Diet was assessed
    every four years by means of a food-frequency questionnaire.

    Results During the 12 years of the study, we documented 730
    confirmed new cases of gout. The multivariate relative risk
    of gout among men in the highest quintile of meat intake, as
    compared with those in the lowest quintile, was
    1.41 (95percent confidence interval, 1.07 to 1.86; P for
    trend = 0.02), and the corresponding relative risk
    associated with seafood intake was 1.51 (95 percent
    confidence interval, 1.17 to 1.95; P for trend =
    0.02). In contrast, the incidence of gout decreased
    with increasing intake of dairy products; the
    multivariate relative risk among men in the highest
    quintile, as compared with those in the lowest
    quintile, was 0.56 (95 percent confidence interval,
    0.42 to 0.74; P for trend <0.001). The level of
    consumption of purine-rich vegetables and the total
    protein intake were not associated with an
    increased risk of gout.

    Conclusions Higher levels of meat and seafood consumption
    are associated with an increased risk of gout, whereas a
    higher level of consumption of dairy products is associated
    with a decreased risk. Moderate intake of purine-rich
    vegetables or protein is not associated with an increased
    risk of gout. http://tinyurl.com/2k26k http://content.nejm.-
    org/cgi/content/short/350/11/1093?query=TOC

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Dally

    Dally Guest

    doe wrote:

    > <<snip>> meat and seafood consumption are associated with
    > an increased risk of gout <<snip>>

    Please cite the relative risks of gout versus the benefits
    of eating meats and seafood.

    Dally

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: meat and seafood / gout
    >From: Dally [email protected]
    >Date: 3/13/2004 11:07 AM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >doe wrote:
    >
    >> <<snip>> meat and seafood consumption are associated with
    >> an increased risk of gout <<snip>>
    >
    >Please cite the relative risks of gout versus the benefits
    >of eating meats and seafood.
    >
    >Dally

    Heh .. heh ..

    Good one ..