meat and seafood / gout

Doe

Guest
<<snip>> meat and seafood consumption are associated with an
increased risk of gout <<snip>>

Purine-Rich Foods, Dairy and Protein Intake, and the Risk of
Gout in Men Choi, Atkinson et al NEJM Vol 350:1093-1103
March 11, 2004 No. 11

ABSTRACT

Background Various purine-rich foods and high protein
intake have long been thought to be risk factors for
gout. Similarly, the possibility that the consumption of
dairy products has a role in protecting against gout has
been raised by metabolic studies. We prospectively
investigated the association of these dietary factors
with new cases of gout.

Methods Over a 12-year period, we prospectively examined the
relationship between purported dietary risk factors and new
cases of gout among 47,150 men who had no history of gout at
base line. We used a supplementary questionnaire to
ascertain whether participants met the American College of
Rheumatology survey criteria for gout. Diet was assessed
every four years by means of a food-frequency questionnaire.

Results During the 12 years of the study, we documented 730
confirmed new cases of gout. The multivariate relative risk
of gout among men in the highest quintile of meat intake, as
compared with those in the lowest quintile, was
1.41 (95percent confidence interval, 1.07 to 1.86; P for
trend = 0.02), and the corresponding relative risk
associated with seafood intake was 1.51 (95 percent
confidence interval, 1.17 to 1.95; P for trend =
0.02). In contrast, the incidence of gout decreased
with increasing intake of dairy products; the
multivariate relative risk among men in the highest
quintile, as compared with those in the lowest
quintile, was 0.56 (95 percent confidence interval,
0.42 to 0.74; P for trend <0.001). The level of
consumption of purine-rich vegetables and the total
protein intake were not associated with an
increased risk of gout.

Conclusions Higher levels of meat and seafood consumption
are associated with an increased risk of gout, whereas a
higher level of consumption of dairy products is associated
with a decreased risk. Moderate intake of purine-rich
vegetables or protein is not associated with an increased
risk of gout. http://tinyurl.com/2k26k http://content.nejm.-
org/cgi/content/short/350/11/1093?query=TOC

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
PEOPLE WALKING

doe wrote:

> <<snip>> meat and seafood consumption are associated with
> an increased risk of gout <<snip>>

Please cite the relative risks of gout versus the benefits
of eating meats and seafood.

Dally

>Subject: Re: meat and seafood / gout
>From: Dally [email protected]
>Date: 3/13/2004 11:07 AM Mountain Standard Time
>
>doe wrote:
>
>> <<snip>> meat and seafood consumption are associated with
>> an increased risk of gout <<snip>>
>
>Please cite the relative risks of gout versus the benefits
>of eating meats and seafood.
>
>Dally

Heh .. heh ..

Good one ..