Meatball Subs

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Valerie, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Valerie

    Valerie Guest

    Subject: Superbowl Food
    > From: [email protected] I am looking for recipes for food to eat during the Soperbowl. I am
    > talking about hearty food men like.

    Meatball Subs

    Sauce: 3 Tbsp Olive oil 1 small Onion (finely chopped) 4 Cloves garlic, minced Basil & Marjoram (to
    taste) 1 8 oz. Can tomato paste 1 pint Whole tomatoes, crushed 1 qt Tomato sauce Red wine
    Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Red pepper (optional)

    Meatballs: 1 lb Ground round or ground chuck
    1/2 lb Ground pork 1 1/2 cup Grated cheese - Parmesan or 2 cup Fine dry bread crumbs 2 eggs
    Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Red Pepper (optional)
    2/4 cup Milk Two or three loaves of French bread 1 lb. of Provolone cheese Parmesan

    Prepare the sauce: Pour olive oil in a large pot. Add onion to pot. Saute onion until translucent.
    Add minced garlic and saute just until garlic begins to turn a golden brown. Add basil and marjoram.
    Saute all for about 3-4 minutes. Add can of tomato paste, tomatoes and sauce. Pour wine into can
    from paste and add to sauce. You can add additional wine if desired. Stir well. Season to taste and
    let cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for
    about 1 /2 hour, stirring occasionally. Prepare the meatballs: Place all ingredients, except milk,
    in a large bowl and mix well. Shape meat into two inch meatballs.

    Fry meatballs until done. Drop meatballs into sauce and simmer for 1 /2 hour. Add water if sauce is
    too thick. To make the sandwich cut fresh baked French bread horizontally. Place slices of provolone
    on top of bread. Cut meatballs in half and spread on top of cheese. Pour desired amount of sauce
    over meatballs. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired. Cut into sandwiches and serve immediately. *You
    can make this in advance and warm the next day. Its easier if you let them serve themselves by
    cutting up the bread ahead of time (keeping your meatballs and sauce warm) or serve on Pistolettes
    or hard sandwich rolls. This recipe can be doubled if necessary.

    --
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at [email protected]
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/