Meatballs in a crockpot question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tom Kan Pa, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Tom Kan Pa

    Tom Kan Pa Guest

    Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These will be available all
    evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put in, how much sauce.
    How long before they are to be served should they be started to heat?

    Tags:

  2. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "TOM KAN PA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These
    will
    > be available all evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put
    > in, how much sauce. How long before they are
    > be served should they be started to heat?

    It is impossible to tell. All crock posts and all meatballs are not the same size.

  3. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    TOM KAN PA wrote:
    > Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These will be available all
    > evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put in, how much sauce.
    > How long before they are to be served should they be started to heat?

    Depends on the size of the crock pot and what settings you have on it. Put some in it and layer it
    twice. Think about if you put a roast in the crock. It will easily cook that many.

    Temps: "Warm"? "Low"? "High"? or does yours specify a temp setting (as in degrees)?

    I'd put the meatballs in and smother with the sauce about 2 hours on high temp to thaw them out and
    start to heat them through. Then reduce to a low temp and once they are hot, switch to "warm" or
    250F. Have you considered adding a nice rich red wine, say 1/4 cup, to that "spaghetti sauce"?

    Jill

  4. Puester

    Puester Guest

    TOM KAN PA wrote:

    > Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These will be available all
    > evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put in, how much sauce.
    > How long before they are to be served should they be started to heat?

    If you have the option, I'd thaw and heat the meatballs in the sauce on a stovetop then transfer to
    the crockpot to keep warm. That would lessen the guess factor.

    gloria p

  5. stan

    stan Guest

    TOM KAN PA <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These will be available all
    > evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put in, how much sauce.
    > How long before they are to be served should they be started to heat?

    How many meatballs can be put in the crockpot depends on the size of the crockpot and the size of
    the meatballs. Saying a crockpot is "large" does nothing to explain its capacity. If you just look
    at the packages of meatballs, you can pretty much judge yourself how many will fit in your crockpot.
    Just put enough meatballs in the crockput to go about 2/3rds of its capacity, then pour enough
    tomato sauce to cover the meatballs.

    Cooking directions should be on the package of meatballs.

  6. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 05 Feb 2004 15:49:10 GMT, [email protected] (TOM KAN PA)
    wrote:

    >Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These will be available all
    >evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put in, how much sauce.
    >How long before they are to be served should they be started to heat?

    Does the crockpot fit on your head? If so, then count how many meatballs you have between your ears
    and that would be your answer.

    -sw

  7. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "TOM KAN PA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These
    will
    > be available all evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put
    > in, how much sauce. How long before they are
    > be served should they be started to heat?

    As many as the crock-pot will hold - usually 1 bag of frozen is adequate. Use enough sauce to covet
    the meatballs. If he meatballs are cooked and frozen start in morning on high and reduce to low when
    the sauce is warm.

    Dimitri

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Puester wrote:

    > TOM KAN PA wrote:
    > >
    > > Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These will be available all
    > > evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put in, how much
    > > sauce. How long before they are to be served should they be started to heat?
    >
    > If you have the option, I'd thaw and heat the meatballs in the sauce on a stovetop then transfer
    > to the crockpot to keep warm. That would lessen the guess factor.

    I would most assuredly brown the meatballs in a skillet first; second choice, bake them first.

    nancy

  9. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "TOM KAN PA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m23.aol.com...
    > > Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These
    > will
    > > be available all evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put
    > > in, how much sauce. How long before they
    are
    > > be served should they be started to heat?
    >
    > As many as the crock-pot will hold - usually 1 bag of frozen is adequate. Use enough sauce to
    > covet the meatballs.

    Thou shat not covet they neighbor's meatballs.

  10. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "TOM KAN PA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m23.aol.com...
    >> Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These
    > will
    >> be available all evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put
    >> in, how much sauce. How long before they are
    >> be served should they be started to heat?
    >
    > It is impossible to tell. All crock posts and all meatballs are not the same size.

    My guess is around 50 meatballs and around a quart of sauce. I made the dreaded "grape jelly
    meatballs" for a xmas pot luck and my large crockpot (11qt) held around that many homemade meatballs
    (48 IIRC) and I think that much or more sauce. To get the meatballs unfrozen and cooked my guess is
    6- 8 hrs on low or 4 hrs on high. Might be worth your while to pre-bake the meatballs to mostly
    cooked and transfer the partially cooked balls to the sauce in the crock pot, that you turned before
    you started baking the meat balls.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------

  11. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > Puester wrote:
    >>
    >> TOM KAN PA wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These will be available all
    >>> evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put in, how much
    >>> sauce. How long before they are to be served should they be started to heat?
    >>
    >> If you have the option, I'd thaw and heat the meatballs in the sauce on a stovetop then transfer
    >> to the crockpot to keep warm. That would lessen the guess factor.
    >
    > I would most assuredly brown the meatballs in a skillet first; second choice, bake them first.
    >
    > nancy

    Chances are, these are in bulk bought at Sam's or Costco, which means they are already cooked.

    Jill

  12. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "TOM KAN PA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > m23.aol.com...
    > > > Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce.
    These
    > > will
    > > > be available all evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be
    > > > put in, how much sauce. How long before they
    > are
    > > > be served should they be started to heat?
    > >
    > > As many as the crock-pot will hold - usually 1 bag of frozen is
    adequate.
    > > Use enough sauce to covet the meatballs.
    >

    > Thou shat not covet they neighbor's meatballs.

    Why not????

    They're home made and mine come from a bag.

    LOL,

    Dimitri

  13. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "TOM KAN PA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > m23.aol.com...
    > These
    > > > will
    they
    > > are
    > > >
    > > > As many as the crock-pot will hold - usually 1 bag of frozen is
    > adequate.
    > > > Use enough sauce to covet the meatballs.
    > >

    > > Thou shat not covet they neighbor's meatballs.
    >
    > Why not????

    All I know is that there is talk about a constitutional amendment concerning such things.

  14. Vox Humana wrote:

    > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> >
    >> > "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...

    >> These
    > they
    >> > are

    >> adequate.
    >> >

    >> > Thou shat not covet they neighbor's meatballs.
    >>
    >> Why not????
    >>

    > All I know is that there is talk about a constitutional amendment concerning such things.

    You can covet them all you want. You just cannot marry them.

    ---jkb

    --
    "Grandma taught me never to judge a species by their eating habits."

    -- Commander Tucker

  15. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Vox Humana"
    >
    >"TOM KAN'S PA: EMERIL" BAMMED:
    >> Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce. These
    >will
    >> be available all evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put
    >> in, how much sauce. How long before they are
    >> be served should they be started to heat?
    >
    >It is impossible to tell. All crock posts and all meatballs are not the same size.

    Also, Emeril's prodigy doesn't indicate if those frozen meatballs are raw or cooked.... normal
    brained folks cook meatballs before freezing (a food safety thingie).

  16. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >"Vox Humana"
    > >
    > >"TOM KAN'S PA: EMERIL" BAMMED:
    > >> Gonna throw frozen meatballs into a crockpot with spaghetti sauce.
    These
    > >will
    > >> be available all evening at a gathering. It's the large crockpot. How many meatballs can be put
    > >> in, how much sauce. How long before they
    are
    > >> be served should they be started to heat?
    > >
    > >It is impossible to tell. All crock posts and all meatballs are not the same size.
    >
    > Also, Emeril's prodigy doesn't indicate if those frozen meatballs are raw
    or
    > cooked.... normal brained folks cook meatballs before freezing (a food
    safety
    > thingie).

    But Mr. Tom doesn't really cook from what I can tell. He will be using frozen mystery meat orbs from
    Giant Eagle or Kroger's.