Meatballs

notbob

Guest
I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
dipping sauces and see no end in sight.

So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.

nb

"notbob" <[email protected]> wrote

> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
> are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.

(smile) I couldn't let everyone down, now ... could I?

Grape Jelly Meatballs
Grape jelly meatballs are a popular appetizer for holiday parties and
get-togethers.
Meatballs

a.. 1 pound ground beef
b.. 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
c.. 1/3 cup onion -- minced
d.. 1/4 cup milk
e.. 1 egg -- beaten
f.. 1 tablespoon fresh parsley -- minced
g.. 1 teaspoon salt
h.. 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
i.. 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
j.. 1/4 cup Crisco vegetable shortening -- to brown meatballs

Sauce
a.. 1 12oz bottle chili sauce
b.. 1 10oz jar grape jelly
c.. Meatball Directions
Combine the first 9 ingredients, mixing well. Shape into 1" meatballs.

Cook in an electric skillet in hot shortening over medium heat for 10-15

minutes or until browned. Cool meatballs by draining on paper towels.
Discard grease.
Simmer Sauce Directions

Combine chili sauce and grape jelly in a medium saucepan (or same electric
skillet);

stir well until jelly is melted. Add meatballs and simmer UNCOVERED on low
for

30 minutes (to thicken the sauce), stirring occasionally. Serve hot
meatballs with toothpicks

out of the skillet or a crockpot or chafing dish set on low to keep warm.
Makes about 5 dozen 1" meatballs.
Makes about 4 to 5 dozen meatballs, depending on size.

On 2006-01-07, Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> (smile) I couldn't let everyone down, now ... could I?
>
> Grape Jelly Meatballs

LOL!.... the great grape jelly meatball bushwhack. I guess I walked
into that one. No prob. I'll give it a try. Why should I be the
only rfc regular who hasn't tried it? ;)

nb

"notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-01-07, Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> (smile) I couldn't let everyone down, now ... could I?
>>
>> Grape Jelly Meatballs

> LOL!.... the great grape jelly meatball bushwhack. I guess I walked
> into that one. No prob. I'll give it a try. Why should I be the
> only rfc regular who hasn't tried it? ;)

(laugh!) You *sure* don't want to try them on my account!

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ
>> meatballs are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but
>> I'd like to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.

> (smile) I couldn't let everyone down, now ... could I?
>
> Grape Jelly Meatballs

<snip grap jelly meatball recipe for mercy>

*groan* :) Gawd, I think those grape jelly things are at just about every
function I've ever been to during the holidays. Try these *groaners*.
Other than the grape jelly meatballs, these are also a party favorite.
From the gutsy gourmet:

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

6 servings INGREDIENTS:
•1 1/2 lb Ground beef (10% fat) •2/3 cups Cracker crumbs
•1/3 cup Onion; minced
•1 Egg
•1 1/2 tsp. Salt
•1/4 tsp. Ginger
•1/4 cup Milk
•1 tbl. Shortening
•2 tbl. Corn starch
•1/2 cup Brown sugar; packed
•1 can Pineapple tidbits; 13.5 oz drained (reserve syrup)
•1/3 cup Vinegar
•1 tbl. Soy sauce
•1/3 cup Green bell pepper; chopped
•1 tsp. cayenne {Optional}
PREPARATION:
•Mix thoroughly beef, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, ginger and milk. Shape
mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls into balls. Melt shortening in large
skillet; brown and cook meatballs. Remove meatballs; keep warm. Pour fat
from skillet.
•Mix cornstarch and sugar. Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar and
soy sauce until smooth. Poor into skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add
meatballs, pineapple tidbits and green pepper; heat through.
•Serve with wooden toothpicks

Michael

--
HUMPTY DUMPTY sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

On 2006-01-07, Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> (laugh!) You *sure* don't want to try them on my account!

Hey, why not? You're just as good a reason as any other. Besides, I
have a soft spot for grape jelly, having a secret (well, maybe not so)
past of grape 'n mayo sandwiches. ;)

nb

notbob wrote:
> I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
> eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
> lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
> yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
> are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.

For a major improvement regardless the recipe, grind your own from
never frozen meat (preground mystery meat is disgusting). Also, add
two eggs per pound of meat (most are stingy with the eggs). Personally
I don't like blending different meats... that's something the low class
taste in ass dagos started due to their garbage picking gypsy life
style... you wouldn't cook stew with beef and pork, even hobos know
that sucks. I think it's much cleaner tasting to use just one kind of
meat, makes it easier to season as well... I like to season ground pork
with an oriental flair. And I really don't care for the typical
oregano laden guinea style meata-balls in tomato sauce, they are so
boring.

Pork Meatballs with Baby Bok Choy

Meatballs:

1 lb. ground pork
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. Shao-Hsing wine or dry sherry
1 tsp. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. ginger, minced
3 tbsp. cornstarch
Bok Choy

2 heads baby bok choy, leaves picked off and cleaned of dirt
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ginger, minced
1/2 tsp. salt

3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sesame seeds

Method:

To make the meatballs: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix just
to combine. Do not overmix or the meatballs will turn out tough. Cover
and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Form the mix into little balls, about 3/4" diameter each.

Heat a wok or large skillet and add 2 tbsp. vegetable oil. Add the
meatballs. Let them brown evenly around, about 5 minutes until 3/4 way
cooked. Remove from heat and drain.

Clean out wok/skillet and add remaining 1 tbsp. vegetable oil and
sesame oil.

Add garlic and ginger. Sauté 10 seconds. Add bok choy and salt. Sauté
for a few minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.

Add the meatballs and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Serve out
onto a platter.
-chef2chef-

Thai Meatballs With Crispy Noodles

Ingredients
Vegetable oil
1 lb Ground pork
2 lg Eggs
1/2 c Dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped
1/4 c Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
3/4 ts Salt
3 3/4 oz Pkg. cellophane noodles (see note)
1/2 c Chunk-style peanut butter
1 tb Grated lemon peel
1/4 ts Ground red cayenne pepper
1 sm Cucumber, sliced
1 sm Carrot, peeled and thinly sliced or cut into thin sticks
Fresh cilantro or parsley sprigs, optional

Instructions
1. Pour oil into 3 qt. saucepan to depth of 1"; heat over medium-high
heat to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine pork, egg,
ground peanuts, chopped cilantro and salt. Using hands or wooden spoon,
blend well. Shape mixture into 1" balls. In 12" skillet over
medium-high heat, heat 2 tbsp. oil; add meatballs. Cook about 12
minutes, turning frequently until well browned on all sides. Add 1 cup
water, stirring to loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet; bring to
boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 5 to 10 minutes until
meatballs are cooked through. Meanwhile, add noodles, a small amount at
a time, to hot oil in saucepan; cook each batch about 20 seconds until
puffed and double in size. Using a slotted spoon, remove noodles to
paper towel to drain. When meatballs are cooked, stir in peanut butter,
grated lemon peel and ground red pepper; cook about 1 minute longer
until heated through. Arrange fried noodles on serving platter. Spoon
meatballs over noodles; arrange cucumbers and carrots decoratively
around edge. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired. Makes 4
servings. -ichef-

Note:Cellophane noodles are sometimes called bean thread noodles and
can be found in the Oriental sections of supermarkets.
---

Sheldon

notbob wrote:

> I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
> eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
> lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
> yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
> are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>
> nb

You can put any spices you like into meatballs but my trick to hold them
together is milk. Most of the time I just add only a little salt and
pepper. I stir cold milk into the meatball mix then form them into the
desired ball size - usually using a meatball former for about 1"
diameter balls. From there I either brown them if going to slow cook or
fully cook them by frying. I fully cook them when I'm making a batch
for the freezer. The following idea is not exotic but it does go over
well and everyone raves about the meatballs. If you have a Sam's Club
nearby, they have a really nice honey garlic sauce in a huge container
for something like $4 - ED Smith is the brand. For a quick appetizer,
warm the sauce and pour over the meatballs. Stir lightly to cover
meatballs well but don't break the meatballs up. Pour the meatballs
into a serving bowl and include toothpicks for picking up the meatballs.
We got this idea from a local restaurant that serves meatballs this
way in a metal bucket. We know the owners who told us the sauce trick.

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>> "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ
>>> meatballs are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices....
>>> but I'd like to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.

>> (smile) I couldn't let everyone down, now ... could I?
>>
>> Grape Jelly Meatballs

> <snip grap jelly meatball recipe for mercy>
>
> *groan* :) Gawd, I think those grape jelly things are at just about
> every function I've ever been to during the holidays. Try these
> *groaners*. Other than the grape jelly meatballs, these are also a
> party favorite. From the gutsy gourmet:
>
> Sweet and Sour Meatballs

(snipped and saved)

At the good ol' pot lucks of yesteryear, this guy would buy a bag of frozen
meatballs (we don't have TJ's here so I have no idea where he got them,
maybe Sams Club). He'd dump the frozen meatballs in a crock pot with bbq
sauce and (gasp) bourbon. I remember the first time he did this, he was all
like "shhhh! I didn't make the sauce last night and I don't want to get
caught having bourbon at my desk!" Pullleeeze. No one will accuse you of
sipping bourbon at your desk.

My mom used to make something similar in a chafing dish back in the 1960's,
except she *made* her meatballs.

Jill

notbob wrote:
> I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
> eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
> lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
> yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ
> meatballs are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but
> I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>
> nb

Not exotic but delicious. Swedish meatballs. Combine 1 lb. ground beef
with 1/2 lb. ground pork. Add fresh breadcrumbs which have been soaked in
milk. Add 1 large egg. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and a little
ground clove and nutmeg. Mix well and form into 1" meatballs. Brown the
meatballs in oil* and set aside on paper to drain off excess fat. [*note: I
brown them on a slotted broiler pan in the oven, about 325F for about 25
minutes]

Make a sour cream sauce; start with some drippings from the meatballs. Make
a roux with that, add 2 Tbs. butter, 2 Tbs. flour and stir until blended.
Add 1 cup beef broth, stock, or canned condensed beef consomme and stir
until well blended. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Stir in 1/2 pint
of sour cream. Heat on low until you have a nice sauce, but not too thick.
If you need more liquid, add more stock. Add the meatballs to the sauce.
Keep warm on the stovetop or in a chafing dish or crock pot with a 'warm'
setting.

Jill

"notbob" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
>I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
> eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
> lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
> yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
> are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>
> nb

I have eaten meatballs since I was 2 years old! :))
And I like to eat them now, after 43 years :)))
Few thing I like in my meatballs: few garlic, a lot of Romano cheese and a
lot of herbs!
Cheers
Pandora

notbob wrote:
> I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
> eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
> lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
> yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
> are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>
> nb

Do you have a favorite meatloaf recipe? Mix that up and roll into 1.5"
balls and bake on a cookie sheet at 375 or 400 degrees until they look
done (but you know they are still raw or rare in the middle.) Cool, and
bag them and freeze 'em. Finish cooking them later in the sauce. No
need to thaw them first.

If you think your meatloaf recipe is too gooey to work with, leave out
one of the eggs.

Best regards,
Bob

> At the good ol' pot lucks of yesteryear, this guy would buy a bag of frozen
> meatballs (we don't have TJ's here so I have no idea where he got them,
> maybe Sams Club). He'd dump the frozen meatballs in a crock pot with bbq
> sauce and (gasp) bourbon. I remember the first time he did this, he was all
> like "shhhh! I didn't make the sauce last night and I don't want to get
> caught having bourbon at my desk!" Pullleeeze. No one will accuse you of
> sipping bourbon at your desk.

But how were they??? LOL ........Sharon

zxcvbob wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or
>> even eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I
>> reached lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service.
>> But, yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
>> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
>> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
>> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
>> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>>
>> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ
>> meatballs are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices....
>> but I'd like
>> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>>
>> nb

> Do you have a favorite meatloaf recipe? Mix that up and roll into
> 1.5" balls and bake on a cookie sheet at 375 or 400 degrees until
> they look done (but you know they are still raw or rare in the
> middle.) Cool, and bag them and freeze 'em. Finish cooking them
> later in the sauce. No need to thaw them first.
>
> If you think your meatloaf recipe is too gooey to work with, leave out
> one of the eggs.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Excellent suggestion, Bob!

Jill

"notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
> eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
> lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
> yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
> are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>
> nb

Alton Brown has a great recipe. I've done it several times and it makes the
best damn meatballs I have ever eaten. I don't have a small muffin tin so I
use the standard size. I use a 1/2 cup measure to proportion the meatballs
instead of an ice cream scoop.

I serve them with sauce on the side in small dipping cups. I especially
like a good marinara sauce to go with these.

1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground lamb
1/2 pound ground round
5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained thoroughly
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
1 whole egg
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup bread crumbs, divided

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the pork, lamb, ground round, spinach,
cheese, egg, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes, and 1/4
cup of the bread crumbs. Using your hands, mix all ingredients until well
incorporated. Use immediately or place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.

Place the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs into a small bowl. Using a
scale, weigh meatballs into 1.5-ounce portions and place on a sheet pan.
Using your hands, shape the meatballs into rounds, roll in the bread crumbs
and place the meatballs in individual, miniature muffin tin cups. Bake for
20 minutes or until golden and cooked through

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 07:19:59 -0600, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

>I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
>eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
>lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
>yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
>cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
>reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
>night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
>dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
>So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
>are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
>to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>
>nb

Instead of giving you a recipe, which I'll leave to others, I'll give
you a cooking method that works well, and is lower in fat. The
meatballs are baked in the oven, rather than fried.

I make tiny meatballs, really tiny, about a teaspoon full of mixture
for each meatball. Each meatball is one bite.

Spray an oven tray with light olive oil. Place meatballs on a tray and
cook at a fairly high heat, turning after a few minutes to brown other
side. Remove when brown (don't remember how long it takes, but no more
than 10 mins I think).

I cook a big batch in advance, free-flow freeze them, then transfer to
a plastic bag when frozen and just remove the number required for a
meal, ready to reheat in a frypan, lightly oiled.

Kathy in NZ

In article <[email protected]>,
notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
> eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
> lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
> yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
> are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>
> nb

Hey, nb! I don't know if I've got any good recipes -- including some
bulk Italian sausage in the mixture is kinda nice -- but I like to cook
my meat-a-balls by arranging about a dozen or so in a glass pie plate,
around the perimeter. Nuke for about 3 minutes, drain, cool, and freeze
loose, then bag for further use whenever. Drop the frozen ones into
spaghetti sauce and let them thaw in there.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

biig wrote:
>> At the good ol' pot lucks of yesteryear, this guy would buy a bag of
>> frozen meatballs (we don't have TJ's here so I have no idea where he
>> got them, maybe Sams Club). He'd dump the frozen meatballs in a
>> crock pot with bbq sauce and (gasp) bourbon. I remember the first
>> time he did this, he was all like "shhhh! I didn't make the sauce
>> last night and I don't want to get caught having bourbon at my
>> desk!" Pullleeeze. No one will accuse you of sipping bourbon at
>> your desk.

> But how were they??? LOL ........Sharon
>

>> Jill

Um.... they were... well... um. Let's say I'd take a couple of them to be
polite ;)

Jill

notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes?

Here are a couple of recipes. The first one, for Russian tefteli, is my
favourite by far - I've been eating this kind of meatballs my whole life
and consider them to be the best by far. The meatballs are cooked in
broth rather than fried. The second recipe, to answer your quest for
the "exotic", is for Fesinjan Kyufta, Azerbaijani meatballs with
pomegranate sauce, and comes from _Please to the Table_ by Anya von
Bremzen and John Welchman. The rice preparation is anything but
"basic", if you ask me...

_____________________________________
Tefteli (meatballs)

500 g (about 17 oz) beef
250 g (about 8.8 oz) pork
30 g (about 1 oz) butter
Salt, pepper, garlic, onions to taste (say one onion, 4 cloves of
garlic)
250 g (about 8.8 oz) stale white bread, torn and soaked in water and
squeezed out
Beef stock, about 4 cups or a bit more, enough to cover meatballs

Put beef and pork through the grinder. Put the bread through the
grinder, too. Onions and garlic can be put through the grinder also, or
they can be very finely minced. Mix everything together very well. If
the mixture is too dense, add some (1/4 to 1/2 cup) very cold water and
mix well again. Form round, egg-sized or a bit larger, meatballs. Cook
in hot stock over medium heat not longer than 15 minutes. Serve with
mashed potatoes or anything you consider suitable. After cooking the
meatballs, the resulting liquid is very tasty and can be poured over
meatballs or potatoes or anything.
_____________________________________

Fesinjan Kyufta

MEATBALLS
3/4 pound lean ground sirloin
1/2 pound lean ground shoulder or leg or lamb
1 medium-size onion, grated
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
1/2 cup unflavoured fine, dry bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon dried mint
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons unsalted butter

SAUCE
1/3 cup lamb stock or beef stock, or canned beef broth
1 1/2 cups fresh or bottled pomegranate juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds

Basic Steaned Saffron Rice with a Crust (see below)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves for garnish
Pomegranate seeds for garnish

1. Combine the ground meats, onion, egg, ice water, bread crumbs,
spices, mint, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly,
cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

2. Shape the chilled meat mixture into meatballs the size of an
apricot. Spread the flour on a plate and roll the meatballs lightly in
it.

3. Melt the butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the
meatballs and cook until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove
to a plate and set aside.

4. Pour the stock and the pomegranate juice into the skillet and turn
the heat up to high. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon
and let the liquid boil for about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt
and pepper, then add the browned meatballs and the pomegranate seeds.
Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes.

5. Place the Basic Steamed Saffron Rice on a platter and arrange the
meatballs around the sides or heaped on top of the rice; or serve them
in a separate dish. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and chopped mint.

Serves 4 to 6

BASIC STEAMED SAFFRON RICE WITH AN EGG CRUST
(Pilaf with Jumurtali Kazmag)
Azerbaijan Plovi

2 1/2 cups basmati rice
Salt
Egg Crust (se below)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, or more as needed, melted
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed in a mortar
Pomegranate seeds, candied fruit, or fresh mint leaves for garnish

1. Place the rice in a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly under cold
running water to remove as much starch as possible. Place the rice in a
large bowl and add enough lukewarm water to cove it by 1 inch. Add
about 1 teaspoon salt and let the rice soak for 1 hour. Drain the rice
and rinse well under cold running water.

2. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and let boil for
about 2 minutes. Add salt. Pour in the rice in a thin, steady stream.
Let boil, uncovered, stirring once or twice, 7 to 8 minutes. The rice
should be almost cooked but still slightly hard to the bite. Drain the
rice thoroughly and rinse under cold running water. Drain again.

3. Mix 4 tablespoons of the butter and the 1/4 cup water and pour it
into a large, flat-bottomed, heatproof casserole with a tight-fitting
lid. Spread the butter mixture evenly on the bottom of the casserole.
Place the crust in the casserole, making sure it covers the bottom
completely. Heat the casserole over medium heat for 5 minutes. Place
half the rice in the casserole, sprinkle with another 4 tablespoons of
the butter, top with the remaining rice, and sprinkle with another 4
tablespoons of the butter. Gather the rice into a mound and make 6 to 7
holes with the handle of a wooden spoon. Wrap the casserole lid in a
linen or cotton (not terry cloth) kitchen towel to absorb the steam
during cooking. Tie the ends together over the top. Cover the
casserole tightly, making sure that no steam can escape during cooking.
Reduce the heat to very low and steam the rice, stirring once or twice,
until tender, 40 minutes.

4. In a small bowl, stir the saffron into the remaining 4 tablespoons
of butter and let stand for 5 minutes.

5. Remove the rice from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Place 1 cup of the rice in the bowl with the saffron butter and toss
until bright yellow.

6. Arrange the rest of the rice on a decorative serving platter. Remove
the crust with a metal spatula. Break it into pieces and scatter them,
along with the saffron rice, over the white rice. Decorate, if desired,
with pomegranate seeds, candied fruit, or mint leaves.

Serves 6

Egg Crust
Jumurtali Kazmag

4 large eggs
1 cup precooked Basic Steamed Saffron Rice with a Crust (see above,
through step 2)

Beat the eggs in a large bowl and mix with the rice. Spread the mixture
evenly over the butter on the bottom of the casserole (step 3 above).
Proceed with the remainder of the basic steamed rice recipe.
____________________________________

Victor

notbob wrote:
> I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
> eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
> lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
> yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
> cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
> reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
> night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
> dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
>
> So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
> are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
> to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
>
> nb

This recipe goes over like gangbusters every time I make them. I never
leave a party without an empty crockpot. From Better Homes and Gardens
http://ww4.bhg.com/recipe/recipedet...&searchType=null&adCategory=&_requestid=91048

Ingredients
2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup fine dry seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 pounds ground raw turkey
11/2 teaspoons cooking oil
1 103/4-ounce can reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup water
1 15/16-ounce envelope turkey gravy mix
1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 bay leaf
Hot cooked mashed potatoes or buttered noodles
Snipped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions
In a large bowl combine eggs, bread crumbs, onion, celery, 2
tablespoons parsley, pepper, and garlic powder. Add ground turkey and
mix well. Shape into 11/2-inch balls.
In a large skillet brown meatballs, half at a time, in hot oil. If
necessary add additional oil. Drain meatballs. Transfer to a 31/2- or
4-quart crockery cooker.
In a bowl combine soup, water, gravy mix, lemon peel, thyme, and bay
leaf. Pour over meatballs.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat
setting for 3 to 4 hours. Discard bay leaf. Serve with mashed potatoes
or noodles. Sprinkle with additional snipped fresh parsley.

Nutrition facts per serving:
calories: 314
total fat: 14g
saturated fat: 3g