Meatballs

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by notbob, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. notbob wrote:
    > I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
    > eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
    > lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
    > yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
    > cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
    > reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
    > night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
    > dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
    >
    > So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
    > are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
    > to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
    >
    > nb

    This one goes over like gangbusters every time I make them. Have never
    had to come home without an empty crockpot. From Better Homes and
    Gardens

    Ingredients
    2 beaten eggs
    3/4 cup fine dry seasoned bread crumbs
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 pounds ground raw turkey
    11/2 teaspoons cooking oil
    1 103/4-ounce can reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup water
    1 15/16-ounce envelope turkey gravy mix
    1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1 bay leaf
    Hot cooked mashed potatoes or buttered noodles
    Snipped fresh parsley (optional)

    Directions
    In a large bowl combine eggs, bread crumbs, onion, celery, 2
    tablespoons parsley, pepper, and garlic powder. Add ground turkey and
    mix well. Shape into 11/2-inch balls.
    In a large skillet brown meatballs, half at a time, in hot oil. If
    necessary add additional oil. Drain meatballs. Transfer to a 31/2- or
    4-quart crockery cooker.
    In a bowl combine soup, water, gravy mix, lemon peel, thyme, and bay
    leaf. Pour over meatballs.
    Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat
    setting for 3 to 4 hours. Discard bay leaf. Serve with mashed potatoes
    or noodles. Sprinkle with additional snipped fresh parsley.

    Nutrition facts per serving:
    calories: 314
    total fat: 14g
    saturated fat: 3g
    cholesterol: 98mg
    sodium: 916mg
    carbohydrate: 25g
    protein: 21g

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
    > are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
    > to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.

    I have a fake Swedish meatball recipe, if you're interested. I use
    all beef, but you could use a third pork and it would taste really good.

    Regards,
    Raneee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
    > are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
    > to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.

    I have a fake Swedish meatball recipe, if you're interested. I use
    all beef, but you could use a third pork and it would taste really good.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  4. wouldnt real Swedish meatballs have Venison in them?

    my gma used to make it like this before she passed away. They were so
    good!

    -Cola Boy

    http://www.iamfood.com

  5. JERRY MINASI

    JERRY MINASI Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 07:19:59 -0600, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
    >eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
    >lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
    >yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
    >cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
    >reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
    >night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
    >dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
    >
    >So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
    >are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
    >to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
    >
    >nb

    Jerry's Meat Balls
    2 1/2 LB .ground pork ,veal and beef.
    4 Large eggs
    1/2 cup Locatelli Pecorino Romano, Grated.
    &1/2 cup
    6 large cloves Garlic. Chopped fine or pressed.
    2 1/2 TBS. Kosher Salt
    1 medium onion, grated (about ¼ cup)
    ½ cup Fresh (home grown), Basil, chopped fine. 1/2 TBS. Ground
    rosemary (powder) & 1 Tsp. fresh home grown, thyme
    Ground pepper to taste.
    2 1/2 TBS. Oregano, Turkish
    1-2 cup red wine, Ruffino, Chianti
    1 to 2 cup bread crumbs. rough ground seasoned Italian Croutons. I
    Added some Panco (Japanese) bread crumbs to the mixture.

    1. Place meat in a mixing bowl, add the salt, pepper, seasoning
    ,oregano, grated cheese and eggs into the bowl.

    2. Sauté onions in the oil until translucent, add the garlic, and
    sauté slightly, or until it imparts its aroma. Cool and add all
    sautéed ingredients to the bowl. Add the moisten (with wine), grated
    croutons,(Bread crumb mixture) and mix all together, moistening with
    wine until the mixture is soft. (Note the consistency of the
    meatballs depends on the moisture added. Soften as desired. The
    softer the mix, the softer the meatballs will be.) Taste and adjust
    seasoning it needed.
    This mixing is better done with your hands.
    Refrigerate mixture for two hours. This made a 4 lb. 14 oz. mix.

    Add Water or wine as needed to knead mixture so as to be able to form
    the meat balls. I did not need to add any. mixture was VERY wet. But
    still I was able to form meatballs.
    Have a bowl of water to wet your hands. This makes rolling the meat
    balls easier.
    Lay the rolled meatballs out on a half baking sheet on
    parchment paper.
    I Then rolled the meatballs in Panko Japanese Bread crumbs.
    I then placed the meatballs on a half sheet and placed in
    the freezer for forty minutes to stiffen.
    Fry in a little olive oil. Tried to maintain 325 degrees F
    ..to brown both sides. About Four minutes each side. Had a temperature
    probe in frying pan. I fried mine in an electric skillet. Do not
    overload the pan as the temperature of the oil will drop to low. 4 to
    6 meatballs at a time. Place fried meat balls on a half baking sheet
    on top of paper towels. Internal temp measured 140 degrees F.
    Then placed meatballs in the oven at 300F for thirty minutes.
    Remove and place on paper towels again to absorb the fat drippings.
    Can be frozen at this point. ,and will then be added to the sauce to
    further cooking.
    This made 43 meatballs. Final weight was 4 lb. 3 5/8 oz..

    Jerry

  6. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "JERRY MINASI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 07:19:59 -0600, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I can't believe I'm writing this. I haven't bought, prepared, or even
    >>eaten a meatball in over 30 years. This due to the fact I reached
    >>lifetime meatball saturation back when I was in the service. But,
    >>yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and they were doing these little
    >>cocktail-sized (~1 inch) pork and beef meatballs in their full-time
    >>reel-you-in sample booth. I'm now hopelessly hooked. Since last
    >>night, I've been eating meatballs dipped in a half dozen of my fave
    >>dipping sauces and see no end in sight.
    >>
    >>So, anyone have any *good* pork/beef meatball recipes? The TJ meatballs
    >>are excellent ...cooked, browned, onions and spices.... but I'd like
    >>to try and do better. The more exotic, the better.
    >>
    >>nb

    > Jerry's Meat Balls

    <snipped>

    You'll find several meatball recipes on my recipe page (URL below)

    --
    Peter Aitken