Mech Disc Brake on front only?

chris_gr

Sep 26, 2003
I am thinking of upgrading the brakes on my Cannondale F600SL to a Deore mechanical disc. I think most of the stopping power comes from the front. Is there any disadvantage to just upgrading the front? Also, any opinions on the Deore mechanicals? I think Nashbar has them for $50.

Originally posted by chris_gr
I am thinking of upgrading the brakes on my Cannondale F600SL to a Deore mechanical disc. I think most of the stopping power comes from the front. Is there any disadvantage to just upgrading the front? Also, any opinions on the Deore mechanicals? I think Nashbar has them for $50.

I have a Deore mechanical on the front and deore v-brakes on the rear i dont see any disadvantages of it only being on the front but if u got good V-brakes on the back there shouldnt be a problem.only thing i say is that u will prolly buy new V-brake pads before the disk brake pads,im driving about with the pads woren away on the rear and i only got them a few weeks ago but the disk has been going for a few months and hasnt lost the stopping power.

Originally posted by chris_gr

I've added discs to the front of my wife and daughters bikes.They both love the setup with discs on the front and V's on the back.
As for Deore mechanicals,my wife uses them and my daughter uses Hayes HMX-1 mechanicals.We've come to the conclusion that we prefer the Deores.The braking power is superior and although the adjustments are simple on both,the Deores tend to be a bit more "lady" friendly in my opinion.I'm going to play around with the Hayes though because I think they're better brakes than what we've found them to be so far.
I use Hayes hydros on my D/H bike but I don't see the need for them on a XC bike.If you tear a hose while out biking you're done.The bike goes into the shop.With mechanicals,we carry a spare brake cable and if you damage one,you're back up and running in 5 minutes.
Go for it!
Dave

Originally posted by IKON
...,im driving about with the pads woren away on the rear and i only got them a few weeks ago but the disk has been going for a few months and hasnt lost the stopping power.

just out of curiosity what sort of brake pads are you using ?