Mechanic Recommendation in Connecticut

litespeedguy

Sep 13, 2003
Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good mechanic in Connecticut or even Mass. or NY - preferably one who has experince with high end frames and components.

On a recommendation I took my bike to a shop recently for a BB creak problem & it came back in worse shape - reluctant to continue with this particular shop.

Any solid recommendations would be appreciated.

Originally posted by litespeedguy
Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good mechanic in Connecticut or even Mass. or NY - preferably one who has experince with high end frames and components.

On a recommendation I took my bike to a shop recently for a BB creak problem & it came back in worse shape - reluctant to continue with this particular shop.

Any solid recommendations would be appreciated.

D'Aniello's Amity Bikeshop in Orange, CT (near New Haven). They are litespeed dealers.

If your bottombracket is creaking, you can fix it yourself. Remove the BB from the frame. Clean and polish the outside of the cartridge with scotchguard, and clean the inside of the shell with a rag. Coat the inside of the shell with anti-sieze compound, and reinstall the BB.

The creaking you hear is often due to dirt and contaminants settling in between the BB and the BB shell. You'll be especially likely to develop this creak if you ride in the rain. Contaminants collect on the outside of the BB cartridge, and cause the creak which becomes especially noticeable when pedaling out of the saddle. It's worth buying a set of BB tools. They aren't expensive, and removal of a BB isn't difficult. Buy anti-seize at a auto parts shop. BTW, regular cleaning of the headset bearings and reinstallation with antiseize compound helps to avoid the headset creaks litespeeds and prown to.

Although the post above is incredibly detailed & informative. Not being much of a mechanic I wouldn't necessarily take on the work described above.

I found Wallingford bike shop on N Main st Wallingford CT to be good too.