Mechanical disc or hydrolic rim

Paul

Guest
brakes that is.

I'm thinking of getting a HPVelotechnic Grasshopper (I'm
only waiting for them to come in the shops - any time now
according to Bikefix in london)

Anyway, I want to upgrade the brakes, and the option list
includes Magura hydro rim brakes and Tektonic mechanical rim
brakes. So has anyone got any experience in either of these
(or simalar) systems and would like to comment. The bike
will be used mainly on road with some easy trail riding. No
hard off roarding!

cheers in advance

Paul.

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:46:54 +0000 (UTC), paul <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyway, I want to upgrade the brakes, and the option list
>includes Magura hydro rim brakes and Tektonic mechanical
>rim brakes. So has anyone got any experience in either of
>these (or simalar) systems and would like to comment.

Have Maguro Hydraulics on our Double Vision tandem and they
are excellant. No problems yet, and we've owned it for
around five - six years.

"paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> brakes that is.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a HPVelotechnic Grasshopper (I'm
> only waiting for them to come in the shops - any time now
> according to Bikefix in london)
>
> Anyway, I want to upgrade the brakes, and the option list
> includes Magura hydro rim brakes and Tektonic mechanical
> rim brakes. So has anyone got any experience in either of
> these (or simalar) systems and would like to comment. The
> bike will be used mainly on road with some easy trail
> riding. No hard off roarding!

I love my Magura HS33's - better than the V-brakes, and less
hassle. I bought them second hand last year, and I'm not
going back.

Regards, Torben

paul wrote:

> brakes that is.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a HPVelotechnic Grasshopper (I'm
> only waiting for them to come in the shops - any time now
> according to Bikefix in london)
>
> Anyway, I want to upgrade the brakes, and the option list
> includes Magura hydro rim brakes and Tektonic mechanical
> rim brakes. So has anyone got any experience in either of
> these (or simalar) systems and would like to comment. The
> bike will be used mainly on road with some easy trail
> riding. No hard off roarding!

I used Magura rim brakes for many years on my Kingcycle,
until a change of fork forced an XTR V-brake onto the front
wheel. They're still the best rim brakes out there, IMHO,
but I prefer discs these days. And if you're going to go for
discs, you may as well go the whole hog and get hydraulic
ones. I've ridden a bike with Avid cable discs and was not
impressed.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

I have Avid discs on my Bikee E2 tandem and Hope hydraulic
discs on my Greenspeed GTO. IMHO, there is very little
difference except I worry about cutting an hydraulic line
300 miles from anywhere. The Hopes do "modulate" more firmly
and precisely than the Avids but, they both stop very well
without drama.

BentJay

I've just done my first few rides on the MR S2 trike; with
single lever linked Magura hydraulics. Utterly brilliant
stopping power.

Paul W