Mechanical disk brake not aligned.

chadm1967

Jun 15, 2003
Hi all,

I'm kind of stuck and would appreciate any help you can give.

I'm on a mountain biking weekend and blew a tire. It was bad enough that I had to purchase a new one. I put the new tire on the wheel but when I put the wheel back on my Giant NRS2, the back mechanical disk brake is not aligned properly. One side is rubbing. I've used the adjustment dialers but it's still rubbing on the one side.

I'm not sure what else to do. Is there another way of adjusting the brakes?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Chad

Loosen the whole caliper and line up. The dials are there for minor adjustment.

Also make sure rotor is straight.

Go to this site for all your bike fixing needs!:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/

It simply rocks for good tutorials with photos for fixing everything, it is by far the best tutorial site on the net for repairing your bike, although my site will soon have a section similar, maybe better? hehe

Cheers,

Ken

Hey,

I read most of the stuff on those web pages, but with alot of things that look good in theory they often fail dismally in practice.

My mates and i have never had a problem with disc brakes on quick release hubs, nor have i heard of this happening to ANYONE.

If you put the quick release on correctly, there should be no problem. A factor these guys forgot i think is that when the wheel is connected to the bike and you brake hard on your front brakes, the whole front of your bike goes forward pushing down onto the wheel, how is it possible for the wheel to be moving if there is pressure against it, which keeps it in?

And judging by the article, you would have to not look at your wheel for about half a year for their theory to take effect and pop the wheel out, and quite frankly, i check over my bike before and after every ride and during if i have problems.

So basically, take care of your bike and you wont see this problem, but also i dont think their theory works in practice anyway.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks for your comments Ken.

I saw a girl bite the pavement when her front wheel came off after she rode off a 6" curb..... and the sight of that has kind of stuck with me.

Your point about preride inspections is well taken, and is something I have to begin to do for EVERY ride, no matter how short.... regardless of components.

No problems mate,

As for the chick dropping her wheel off a 6" curb, i would put that down to not putting it in properly and tight enough, not the disc brakes.

I use my bike for lots of jumping and big drops (2 metre) on my hardtail with discs and the only thing i have to worry about is making the landing, no problemos with the wheel.

Cheers,

Ken

Originally posted by Spin baby
Thanks for your comments Ken.

I saw a girl bite the pavement when her front wheel came off after she rode off a 6" curb..... and the sight of that has kind of stuck with me.

Your point about preride inspections is well taken, and is something I have to begin to do for EVERY ride, no matter how short.... regardless of components.

2 metre drop....??

Yeow-za

LOL. Well.... if that doesn't knock the wheel off, then it should withstand my little puddle hops. ; )

I used to have the same problem on my old bike with mech disc brakes. What I found was that if the spindle flats (lock nuts holding the axle in the hub) of the back axle weren't 90 Deg across the dropout, the wheel would be slightly out of line and the discs would rub irritatingly.
B.