Mechanical disks...,

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tj Poseno, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    I was looking at the AVID Mechanical disk brakes, and now I am leaning more toward them because they
    look MUCH higher quality, and not as bulky. I already know their better from what you guys have
    said. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was looking at the AVID Mechanical disk brakes, and now I am leaning more toward them because
    > they look MUCH higher quality, and not as bulky. I already know their better from what you guys
    > have said. Thanks

    They're the best mechanical discs IMO. I have tried them but...They're not as good as hydraulic
    discs because you still have to deal with cable pull which gives them a mushier feel than
    hydraulics. Any force applied to the lever is sent directly to the caliper with hydraulics. There is
    no cable/housing friction and compression to overcome. Mechanicals still have advantages over rim
    brakes in muddy conditions and are cheaper than hydraulics.

    Mike

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    One of my buds has a Scalpel that has both hydraulic brakes replaced already (the bike MAY be 6 mos
    old). Last night one of them was leaking again. Hmmm, let's see: no messy fluid, no special
    bleeding techniques, readily available replacement housing and actuating mechanisms. I'll live with
    a little mush.

    Mike "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was looking at the AVID Mechanical disk brakes, and now I am leaning more toward them because
    > > they look MUCH higher quality, and not as bulky. I already know their better from what you guys
    > > have said. Thanks
    >
    > They're the best mechanical discs IMO. I have tried them but...They're
    not
    > as good as hydraulic discs because you still have to deal with cable pull which gives them a
    > mushier feel than hydraulics. Any force applied to the lever is sent directly to the caliper with
    > hydraulics. There is no cable/housing friction and compression to overcome. Mechanicals still
    have
    > advantages over rim brakes in muddy conditions and are cheaper than hydraulics.
    >
    > Mike

  4. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Live with a little ineffective braking and you can keep your rim jobs.

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > One of my buds has a Scalpel that has both hydraulic brakes replaced
    already
    > (the bike MAY be 6 mos old). Last night one of them was leaking again. Hmmm, let's see: no messy
    > fluid, no special bleeding techniques, readily available replacement housing and actuating
    > mechanisms. I'll live with a little mush.

  5. what is he, or the store, doing to them????? I've had Magura hydraulics, rim and disc for 7 yrs -
    never had a leak, never had a trail failure, never wanted faster stopping........

    you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink......

    nick