Mechanical disks...,

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tj Poseno

I was looking at the AVID Mechanical disk brakes, and now I am leaning more toward them because they
look MUCH higher quality, and not as bulky. I already know their better from what you guys have
said. Thanks

"TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was looking at the AVID Mechanical disk brakes, and now I am leaning more toward them because
> they look MUCH higher quality, and not as bulky. I already know their better from what you guys
> have said. Thanks

They're the best mechanical discs IMO. I have tried them but...They're not as good as hydraulic
discs because you still have to deal with cable pull which gives them a mushier feel than
hydraulics. Any force applied to the lever is sent directly to the caliper with hydraulics. There is
no cable/housing friction and compression to overcome. Mechanicals still have advantages over rim
brakes in muddy conditions and are cheaper than hydraulics.

Mike

One of my buds has a Scalpel that has both hydraulic brakes replaced already (the bike MAY be 6 mos
old). Last night one of them was leaking again. Hmmm, let's see: no messy fluid, no special
bleeding techniques, readily available replacement housing and actuating mechanisms. I'll live with
a little mush.

Mike "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was looking at the AVID Mechanical disk brakes, and now I am leaning more toward them because
> > they look MUCH higher quality, and not as bulky. I already know their better from what you guys
> > have said. Thanks
>
> They're the best mechanical discs IMO. I have tried them but...They're
not
> as good as hydraulic discs because you still have to deal with cable pull which gives them a
> mushier feel than hydraulics. Any force applied to the lever is sent directly to the caliper with
> hydraulics. There is no cable/housing friction and compression to overcome. Mechanicals still
have
> advantages over rim brakes in muddy conditions and are cheaper than hydraulics.
>
> Mike

Live with a little ineffective braking and you can keep your rim jobs.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> One of my buds has a Scalpel that has both hydraulic brakes replaced
already
> (the bike MAY be 6 mos old). Last night one of them was leaking again. Hmmm, let's see: no messy
> fluid, no special bleeding techniques, readily available replacement housing and actuating
> mechanisms. I'll live with a little mush.

what is he, or the store, doing to them????? I've had Magura hydraulics, rim and disc for 7 yrs -
never had a leak, never had a trail failure, never wanted faster stopping........

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink......

nick

"Mike S." <mikeshaw@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]... One
of my buds has a Scalpel that has both hydraulic brakes replaced already (the bike MAY be 6 mos
old). Last night one of them was leaking again. Hmmm, let's see: no messy fluid, no special
bleeding techniques, readily available replacement housing and actuating mechanisms. I'll live with
a little mush.

Mike "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "TJ Poseno" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I was looking at the AVID Mechanical disk brakes, and now I am leaning more toward them because
> > they look MUCH higher quality, and not as bulky. I already know their better from what you guys
> > have said. Thanks
>
> They're the best mechanical discs IMO. I have tried them but...They're
not
> as good as hydraulic discs because you still have to deal with cable pull which gives them a
> mushier feel than hydraulics. Any force applied to the lever is sent directly to the caliper with
> hydraulics. There is no cable/housing friction and compression to overcome. Mechanicals still
have
> advantages over rim brakes in muddy conditions and are cheaper than hydraulics.
>
> Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.