Mechanical Odometer

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:21:48 -0700, MartinM wrote:

>> I submit that on or about Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:43:41 +0100, the person
>> known to the court as "Tim Downie" <[email protected]>
>> made a statement (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's

e R chrome nuts
> for Raleighs
> not strictly a part but the curl round the top tube bit on posh Raleigh
> and Carlton bikes

Had a five-speed Carlton at one time. But I don't recognise this.
Could you explain?

> clamp on front light brackets

Lord help me for saying this, but 'Daily Mail' types probably think
cyclists all still use them, and those that don't have EverReady lights
should be jailed.

>> All the above can be found in my spares box!
>
> a few more;

I've still got most of these but also

complete rod brakes

dotlocs for kids bikes

front fork tennis raquet holders

cottered BB axles

rubber pedals

John Hearns wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:21:48 -0700, MartinM wrote:
>

> >> I submit that on or about Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:43:41 +0100, the person
> >> known to the court as "Tim Downie" <[email protected]>
> >> made a statement (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's

> e R chrome nuts
> > for Raleighs
> > not strictly a part but the curl round the top tube bit on posh Raleigh
> > and Carlton bikes

> Had a five-speed Carlton at one time. But I don't recognise this.
> Could you explain?

Think back to when frames consisted of 3 bits of 531 (or 18/23 on cheap
Raleighs, which is probably some sort of gas fitting nomenclature) with
depleted uranium for the rest; The cheap Raleighs etc had the rear
stays soldered or Bostiked to the top of the seat tube, but with the
flashy Carltons the two tubes were made as one piece and joined
together by a small loop of steel that went over the top of the top
tube. A few very flash Raleighs (who presumably owned Carlton) were
made this way. I picked up a Carlton 531 frame at a boot sale a few
years back, weighed a lot more than a modern 501 but at made a good
£40 hack in the free ads paper a few weeks later ;-)

"Mike Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> tracks, they were for the plus-fours brigade and sheep. The clickometer
>> probably didn't need to know wheel size, it would be fitted with the
>> finger at a set distance from the centre of the axle.

> Of course they probably just assumed a 27" inch wheel.... Anything other
> than that was a kiddies bike and they didn't need to know how far it was
> to cycle to school.

Eee when I were a lad I had one of those too. AIUI the wheel diameter was
irrelevant to the function and so was the distance from axle centre and they
weren't different ones for different sizes, because all they did was count
the number of wheel revolutions, not the actual distance. To get the
distance, if you wanted it, you had to multiply the number of revolutions by
the wheel diameter.

Rich

in message <[email protected]>, John Hearns
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:21:48 -0700, MartinM wrote:
>
>>> I submit that on or about Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:43:41 +0100, the person
>>> known to the court as "Tim Downie"
>>> <[email protected]> made a statement
>>> (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's

> e R chrome nuts
>> for Raleighs
>> not strictly a part but the curl round the top tube bit on posh
>> Raleigh and Carlton bikes

> Had a five-speed Carlton at one time. But I don't recognise this.
> Could you explain?

Lugs.

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.

Richard Goodman wrote:
> "Mike Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >> tracks, they were for the plus-fours brigade and sheep. The clickometer
> >> probably didn't need to know wheel size, it would be fitted with the
> >> finger at a set distance from the centre of the axle.

> > Of course they probably just assumed a 27" inch wheel.... Anything other
> > than that was a kiddies bike and they didn't need to know how far it was
> > to cycle to school.

> Eee when I were a lad I had one of those too. AIUI the wheel diameter was
> irrelevant to the function and so was the distance from axle centre and they
> weren't different ones for different sizes, because all they did was count
> the number of wheel revolutions, not the actual distance. To get the
> distance, if you wanted it, you had to multiply the number of revolutions by
> the wheel diameter.

???
mine was even calibrated in miles; I think it was further than 6 wheel
revolutions to my friend's house.

ah just though of another bygone bit; those split links with a circlip
type thing, my chain broke on way to said friend and a passing motorist
just happened to have one. It was only after he repaired it much to my
gratitude and drove off that I realised it would not go through the
rear mech so spent the whole journey doing 3/4 pedal strokes ;-)

Richard Goodman wrote:

you had to multiply the number of revolutions by
> the wheel diameter.

quite aside from having a senior moment, Shirley you mean circumference?

"Mike Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Technology is a wonderful thing, why not use it? :)
> >

> Indeed it is, but even the cheapest computers are way over the top for

what
> I need. What I don't want is a gizmo attached to the handlebars, wires, or

> bulky radio transmitter attached to the fork.
>
> I could put a green hat on and say I don't want to pollute the world with
> discarded batteries, but I could get a solar powered computer. Thing is

they
> need even bigger gizmos on the handlebars and wires...
>
> Of course I could pop a small notepad in the frame of the bike and mark a
> tick for every day I commute. As I commute 12 miles it'll be just like the
> old times, none of this new fangled decimal stuff ;-)

The mechanical odometers weren't trouble free by any means. At high speeds
they became unreliable, and eventually the gears inside wore out, especially
if they regularly got wet. They got in the way when removing/replacing the
front wheel (eg for punctures) as they were mounted behind the wheel nut,
and then had to be carefully repositioned to work properly. You can get a
cheap computer from Aldi or Lidl when they offer them (as little as 3 or 4
squid), and ignore the info you don't want!

On 17 Sep 2005 07:09:01 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:

>ah just though of another bygone bit; those split links with a circlip
>type thing,

Erm, do chains not have these anymore?

Mine does. (The circlip is a bit bent though!)

Judith

On 16 Sep 2005 07:31:18 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:

>not strictly true; there were several common wheel (tyre) sizes;
>
>26 x 1 3/8" used for pretty much everything that wasn't a racer, still
>available into the 80's and probably still in India or somewhere

These tyres are still available. I know because I put a new one on my
back wheel a couple of months ago.

Judith

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:43:41 +0100, "Tim Downie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> anything I've missed?

>Replacement brake blocks for rod brakes, you know, the ones that used to
>come flying out if you fitted the block holders the wrong way round
>
>Cotter pins

I need a new cotter pin for my left-hand pedal as the nut keeps
working lose. I've heard of "cotterless cranks" but have never seen
one. If I can find cotter pins for sale I shall buy two ..... so that
I can chuck out the first one I try to fit after I've bent the screw
threads whilst hammering it into the hole!

From the content of this thread, it sounds like My New Bike [a
mythical beast which may be a Brompton or may be a pannier-laden
full-size tourer] will contain no parts I recognise!

Judith

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> I submit that on or about Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:43:41 +0100, the person
>> known to the court as "Tim Downie" <[email protected]>
>> made a statement (<[email protected]> in Your Honour's
>> bundle) to the following effect:

[..]
> steel painted mudguards with the 50's chrome pointy bit at the front

Was them black, with the bottom end of the back one painted white? with a
reflector held on with a single small bolt??

in message <[email protected]>, Judith
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I need a new cotter pin for my left-hand pedal as the nut keeps
> working lose. I've heard of "cotterless cranks" but have never seen
> one.

As a matter of interest, where in the world are you? Cranks using cotter
pins are now vanishingly rare in the UK.

;; So, before proceeding with definitive screwing, choose the
;; position most congenital.
-- instructions for fitting bicycle handlebars

In article <[email protected]>, Judith wrote:
>On 17 Sep 2005 07:09:01 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>ah just though of another bygone bit; those split links with a circlip
>>type thing,

>Erm, do chains not have these anymore?
>Mine does. (The circlip is a bit bent though!)

I needed a new one recently, and the LBS said "I think we might have one
out the back somewhere, hang on while I have a look". (They did.)

(And my mechanical odometer isn't on the shelf I thought it was, nor
in the next most likely box (I was hunting for something else), so I
withdraw my offer of it for postage at least until I happen to come
across it.)

>> I need a new cotter pin for my left-hand pedal as the nut keeps
>> working lose. I've heard of "cotterless cranks" but have never seen
>> one.

> As a matter of interest, where in the world are you? Cranks using cotter
> pins are now vanishingly rare in the UK.

Judith

If you are in the UK send me your postal I'll send you some - milled or
round - your choice.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> As a matter of interest, where in the world are you? Cranks using cotter
> pins are now vanishingly rare in the UK.

"Vanishingly rare" is a bit of an exaggeration - there are plenty of
them still around. Oh, and be a bit careful buying cotter pins because
there are two sizes and they're only a tiny bit different in diameter
(6mm and 6.5mm if memory serves).

--
Andrew

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:09:23 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I need a new cotter pin for my left-hand pedal as the nut keeps
>> working lose. I've heard of "cotterless cranks" but have never seen
>> one.

>As a matter of interest, where in the world are you? Cranks using cotter
>pins are now vanishingly rare in the UK.

I'm in the Wirral (UK).

I got my bike second-hand off someone who'd bought it second-hand
...... so it's at least third-hand but I don't think it's *that* old;
maybe late '70s, early '80s?

Judith

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:10:51 +0100, "Sandy Morton"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I need a new cotter pin for my left-hand pedal as the nut keeps
>>> working lose. I've heard of "cotterless cranks" but have never seen
>>> one.

>> As a matter of interest, where in the world are you? Cranks using cotter
>> pins are now vanishingly rare in the UK.

>Judith
>
>If you are in the UK send me your postal I'll send you some - milled or
>round - your choice.

Thanks Sandy. It's not urgent (although it only takes a couple of
miles for the nut to loosen) so I'll have a look in the LBS and give
you a shout if I can't find any.

Judith

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]lid says...
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>

> > As a matter of interest, where in the world are you? Cranks using cotter
> > pins are now vanishingly rare in the UK.
> >

> "Vanishingly rare" is a bit of an exaggeration - there are plenty of
> them still around. Oh, and be a bit careful buying cotter pins because
> there are two sizes and they're only a tiny bit different in diameter
> (6mm and 6.5mm if memory serves).

Coterpins were the bane of my young days on my raleigh grifter ... used
to always end up with knackered coterpins .... I used to put it down to
my strength but more likely to my lack of bike maintenance skills ;)

..... although I used to keep them tightened regularly - never really got
my head around the problem.