med alert for the pool?

Madelaine

Guest
I recently bought a silver medic alert bracelet (I have diabetes, but am
not brittle) with the idea of wearing it continuously. After only one
month, it has become horribly discolored. Now I have found this
jewelery site which basically says "don't wear your
silver/gold/stainless steel in the pool"
http://www.fortunoff.com/product_guide.asp?guide_id=3000000
OK, so what am I supposed to get? Plastic?
Madelaine

Madelaine wrote:
> I recently bought a silver medic alert bracelet (I have diabetes, but am
> not brittle) with the idea of wearing it continuously. After only one
> month, it has become horribly discolored. Now I have found this
> jewelery site which basically says "don't wear your
> silver/gold/stainless steel in the pool"
> http://www.fortunoff.com/product_guide.asp?guide_id=3000000
> OK, so what am I supposed to get? Plastic?
> Madelaine

Well, silver (even sterling) will become discolored by the pool
chlorine, but this is the first time I've heard of someone saying not to
use stainless. I do think there are plastic bands out there, but unless
I'm off my rocker, stainless steel should be just fine so long as you
don't get it all scratched up.

Madelaine says...

>I recently bought a silver medic alert bracelet (I have diabetes, but am
>not brittle) with the idea of wearing it continuously. After only one
>month, it has become horribly discolored. Now I have found this
>jewelery site which basically says "don't wear your
>silver/gold/stainless steel in the pool"
>http://www.fortunoff.com/product_guide.asp?guide_id=3000000
>OK, so what am I supposed to get? Plastic?
>Madelaine

I can see that silver might be a problem with the chlorine, along with
whatever is mixed with pure gold to make a "gold" bracelet, but I don't
see what the problem would be with stainless. The sand filter on my pool
is stainless. It was installed in 1972, and is still going strong.
Seems to me that stainless should work.

Silver is a metallic chemical element which reacts with water, Actually it reacts with the chlorine mixed with the water. so next time be ware of using silver in the water because it causes ARGYRIA which result in a blue grayish pigmentation of skin & eyes , But it is so wrong that stainless steel is prohibited in pool water because water does not react with stainless steel and it also resist corrosion. stainless steel is the best element & easy to afford.

I also have diabetes and use my Road ID as my medic alert - I shower and swim with it, never take it off.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

I think that just getting a new one might be the way to go. Especially plastic is really not going to have too much of an issue. However, chlorine is a seriously nasty thing to deal with and this is a good reminder of that very fact.