med alert for the pool?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Madelaine, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Madelaine

    Madelaine Guest

    I recently bought a silver medic alert bracelet (I have diabetes, but am
    not brittle) with the idea of wearing it continuously. After only one
    month, it has become horribly discolored. Now I have found this
    jewelery site which basically says "don't wear your
    silver/gold/stainless steel in the pool"
    http://www.fortunoff.com/product_guide.asp?guide_id=3000000
    OK, so what am I supposed to get? Plastic?
    Madelaine

    Tags:

  2. Chris Zakelj

    Chris Zakelj Guest

    Madelaine wrote:
    > I recently bought a silver medic alert bracelet (I have diabetes, but am
    > not brittle) with the idea of wearing it continuously. After only one
    > month, it has become horribly discolored. Now I have found this
    > jewelery site which basically says "don't wear your
    > silver/gold/stainless steel in the pool"
    > http://www.fortunoff.com/product_guide.asp?guide_id=3000000
    > OK, so what am I supposed to get? Plastic?
    > Madelaine

    Well, silver (even sterling) will become discolored by the pool
    chlorine, but this is the first time I've heard of someone saying not to
    use stainless. I do think there are plastic bands out there, but unless
    I'm off my rocker, stainless steel should be just fine so long as you
    don't get it all scratched up.

  3. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    Madelaine says...

    >I recently bought a silver medic alert bracelet (I have diabetes, but am
    >not brittle) with the idea of wearing it continuously. After only one
    >month, it has become horribly discolored. Now I have found this
    >jewelery site which basically says "don't wear your
    >silver/gold/stainless steel in the pool"
    >http://www.fortunoff.com/product_guide.asp?guide_id=3000000
    >OK, so what am I supposed to get? Plastic?
    >Madelaine

    I can see that silver might be a problem with the chlorine, along with
    whatever is mixed with pure gold to make a "gold" bracelet, but I don't
    see what the problem would be with stainless. The sand filter on my pool
    is stainless. It was installed in 1972, and is still going strong.
    Seems to me that stainless should work.

  4. tarren1

    tarren1 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2010
    Silver is a metallic chemical element which reacts with water, Actually it reacts with the chlorine mixed with the water. so next time be ware of using silver in the water because it causes ARGYRIA which result in a blue grayish pigmentation of skin & eyes , But it is so wrong that stainless steel is prohibited in pool water because water does not react with stainless steel and it also resist corrosion. stainless steel is the best element & easy to afford.

  5. myidentity

    myidentity New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2011
    Try Steel Bracelet from myidentitydoctor.com. They are pretty good.

  6. NoodleArms

    NoodleArms New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    I also have diabetes and use my Road ID as my medic alert - I shower and swim with it, never take it off.

    http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

  7. Mored1966

    Mored1966 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2014
    I think that just getting a new one might be the way to go. Especially plastic is really not going to have too much of an issue. However, chlorine is a seriously nasty thing to deal with and this is a good reminder of that very fact.