    Tags:

  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-30, Gemma_k (aka Bruce)
    > http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17975641%5E2682,00.html
    >
    > A beat up... The newspaper seems to have forgotten how long these these
    > roads really are....
    > (ie South Road is over 40km long...)

    "When passing a cyclist they have to, by law, keep at least 1m
    between their vehicle and the bike," he said.

    I know there was some talk of this around the Eugene McGee time, but
    has this already been passed into law in SA?

    Kewl!

    --
    TimC
    "Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle, and will

  3. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On 2006-01-30, Gemma_k (aka Bruce)

    http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17975641%5E2682,00.html

    > > A beat up... The newspaper seems to have forgotten how long these these
    > > roads really are....
    > > (ie South Road is over 40km long...)

    > "When passing a cyclist they have to, by law, keep at least 1m
    > between their vehicle and the bike," he said.
    >
    > I know there was some talk of this around the Eugene McGee time, but
    > has this already been passed into law in SA?
    >
    > Kewl!

    No - and hopefully that 'law' will never be passed!!
    The relevant Australian Road Rule that applies to all road users is Rule
    144 - "Keeping a safe distance when overtaking". There is no legislated
    'safe' distance to overtake a cyclist - as the distance required for cyclist
    safety varies depending upon the speed of both the cyclist and the motor
    vehicle, and the size of the vehicle.
    The worst scenario I could see is a road train overtaking a child cyclist at
    1.01m clearance at 100km/h - and this being the 'safe' distance by law....
    yikes!!

  4. Aeek

    Aeek Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 04:18:56 GMT, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2006-01-30, Gemma_k (aka Bruce)
    >> http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17975641%5E2682,00.html
    >>
    >> A beat up... The newspaper seems to have forgotten how long these these
    >> roads really are....
    >> (ie South Road is over 40km long...)

    > "When passing a cyclist they have to, by law, keep at least 1m
    > between their vehicle and the bike," he said.
    >
    >I know there was some talk of this around the Eugene McGee time, but
    >has this already been passed into law in SA?
    >
    >Kewl!

    Andre

  5. Aeek

    Aeek Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:33:50 +1030, "Gemma_k" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17975641%5E2682,00.html
    >
    >A beat up... The newspaper seems to have forgotten how long these these
    >roads really are....
    >(ie South Road is over 40km long...)
    >
    >*sigh*

    What I found disturbing was parents telling their chldren to break the law:

    "We tell them to ... ride on the footpath if you have to ..."

    I rode on both South and Marion Rd with lighter night-time traffic and was impressed
    with how most shifted into the right lane to overtake.

    Andre

  6. > http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17975641%5E2682,00.html

    "Adelaide's busiest metropolitan road - was almost as dangerous,
    recording 63 accidents involving cyclists, followed by Greenhill Rd
    with 54. "

    Self and bicycle have been absolutely trashed on Greenhill road.
    T-boned while doing about 60km/h. It was after that I started wearing a
    helmet. What a stack- nothing broken but every joint hurt and I didn't
    get out of bed for 3 days! There was not much left of the bicycle
    either.

    Beware of Tin Monsters

  7. ray

    ray Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >>http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17975641%5E2682,00.html

    > "Adelaide's busiest metropolitan road - was almost as dangerous,
    > recording 63 accidents involving cyclists, followed by Greenhill Rd
    > with 54. "
    >
    > Self and bicycle have been absolutely trashed on Greenhill road.
    > T-boned while doing about 60km/h. It was after that I started wearing a
    > helmet. What a stack- nothing broken but every joint hurt and I didn't
    > get out of bed for 3 days! There was not much left of the bicycle
    > either.
    >
    > Beware of Tin Monsters

    Typical of the garbage printed (or not printed) by the `Tiser. As noted
    several years ago, small kerfuffle when a guy was arrested by police in
    the lane at the rear of The Advertiser office with a car-full of guns.
    Great story. Where did it appear? Not the Adelaide news, because the
    gung-ho turkey in question happened to be Kerry Packer's chauffeur.
    South Road (which I've traversed by two and four wheels at different
    times) is a fairly typical suburban arterial, too much traffic, and no
    provision whatever for any of it being non-motorised.
    Channel 7 (the network for parochial morons) ran a news poll recently
    with the question, `Should cyclists be banned in peak hour?' It's badly
    designed routes like South Road that provide ammunition for such total
    stupidity.
    Regards,
    Ray.

  8. @(none)

    @(none) Guest

    > Channel 7 (the network for parochial morons) ran a news poll recently
    > with the question, `Should cyclists be banned in peak hour?' It's badly
    > designed routes like South Road that provide ammunition for such total
    > stupidity.

    Do you know what the result was?

  9. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ppkrt11v0595[email protected]
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:33:50 +1030, "Gemma_k"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17975641%5E2682,00.html
    >>
    >>A beat up... The newspaper seems to have forgotten how long these these
    >>roads really are....
    >>(ie South Road is over 40km long...)
    >>
    >>*sigh*

    > What I found disturbing was parents telling their chldren to break the
    > law:
    >
    > "We tell them to ... ride on the footpath if you have to ..."

    That's not breaking the law if you're 10 or 12 years old as those kids are.
    Note that they say they ride on the road when they're on back streets. It
    takes time to develop basic traffic instincts.

  10. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Depends on the ages of the kids. 12 and Under = footpath is legal

  11. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    NOT in Adelaide/SA (unless you have a Doctor's certificate), or in NSW.
    What, you thought the National Road Rules were uniform for cyclists?

  12. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Ummm. nice try... shame you're wrong ... for NSW at least.

    read the 5th bullet point here

    http://rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinformation/bicycles/makingitsafertocycle/bicyclesafety/cyclingrules.html

    Scotty

    PS.

    Just found out it is the same in South Aust too.

    http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/fact_sheets.asp

    What do you know? - A universal road law.

  13. Peter Miller

    Peter Miller Guest

    "aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > scotty72 Wrote:
    >> Depends on the ages of the kids. 12 and Under = footpath is legal

    > NOT in Adelaide/SA (unless you have a Doctor's certificate), or in
    > NSW.
    > What, you thought the National Road Rules were uniform for cyclists?
    >

    > --
    > aeek

    I understand that in NSW except where signs prohibit it, it is legal for
    children under the age of 12 and any adult accompanying a child under 12
    to ride on the footpath. See RTA site
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p15.pdf section 250.

    Peter Miller
    Newcastle

  14. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > scotty72 Wrote:
    > > Depends on the ages of the kids. 12 and Under = footpath is legal

    > NOT in Adelaide/SA (unless you have a Doctor's certificate), or in
    > NSW.
    > What, you thought the National Road Rules were uniform for cyclists?

    Children UNDER the age of 12 are permitted to ride on the footpath in SA -
    unless there's a sign specifically prohibiting it.... get yer facts right!

  15. ray

    ray Guest

    none wrote:
    >> Channel 7 (the network for parochial morons) ran a news poll recently
    >> with the question, `Should cyclists be banned in peak hour?' It's
    >> badly designed routes like South Road that provide ammunition for such
    >> total stupidity.

    > Do you know what the result was?

    Not off-hand. I NEVER watch Channel Seven. I merely overheard it because
    my less critical wife happened to be watching.
    R.

  16. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    I love this , looked at the URL above and reading down came across this gem....love it!!!!.....seems it has legislative approval, roadies are KING

    "Road bikes are perfect for all kings of road riding "

    :)

  17. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "rooman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Just found out it is the same in South Aust too.
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/8q9c4
    > >

    > > What do you know? - A universal road law.

    > I love this , looked at the URL above and reading down came across this
    > gem....love it!!!!.....seems it has legislative approval, roadies are
    > KING
    >
    > *"Road bikes *are perfect for all kings of road riding "

    Big brother must be watching - it's fixed :p

    Gemm

  18. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    I was wrong about children. They are still different for adults:

    SA: under 12 years of age or carrying and complying with a certificate issued by a doctor).

    NSW: An adult, who is riding in a supervisory capacity of a cyclist less than 12 years old, may also ride with the young cyclist on the footpath.

  19. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    :eek: oooohhhhhhhhhh....doodoo doodoo doodoo doodoo Xfiles scary stuff :eek:

    so the truth IS out there!! woohoo

  20. On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:33:50 +1030, Gemma_k wrote:

    > http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17975641%5E2682,00.html
    >
    > A beat up... The newspaper seems to have forgotten how long these these
    > roads really are....
    > (ie South Road is over 40km long...)

    I ride along Marion Road all the time, and never have problems, even at
    peak hour. Some sections of South Road are /much/ worse - narrower
    and full of trucks. I only use the part south of the Marion Road splitoff.

    Henley Beach Road near town was an absolute death trap (also for peds and
    cars) before it was widened a few years ago.