Media: helmet saved my life

Shuggie

Guest
See http://tinyurl.com/cvwlv

OK, I post this because I love the even-handed attitude of the cyclist,
typical Aussie fair go point of view. He's from my home town:

He hit his head so hard on the road that the side of his helmet was
crushed in, leaving a wound near his temple that could have been much
worse. But he said he was not angry with the driver. ``Accidents
happen,'' he said. ``I would just like to talk to them about what
happened.'' And Mr Kohnert, has no grudge with motorists, saying it is
often the cyclists who need to more careful. ``I also drive a car and I
see some riders on the road that make me really angry,'' he said.

As balance, I came off my bike last night: my first prang in five and a
half years of commuting through central London. I braked hard to avoid
a ped, and although she saw me in time and stopped out of harm's way, I
lost control of the front wheel on a metal grid and went over the
handle bars. Cuts to both legs and one hand, badly grazed leather
shoes, smashed front lights and trip computer (but bike is perfectly
rideable) and a shed load of embarrassment. Anyway, I wasn't wearing a
helmet and I'm still alive.

Cheers, James

Shuggie wrote:

> See http://tinyurl.com/cvwlv
>
> OK, I post this because I love the even-handed attitude of the cyclist,
> typical Aussie fair go point of view. He's from my home town:
>
> He hit his head so hard on the road that the side of his helmet was
> crushed in, leaving a wound near his temple that could have been much
> worse. But he said he was not angry with the driver. ``Accidents
> happen,'' he said. ``I would just like to talk to them about what
> happened.''

Looks like the bang on the head affected his judgement ;-)

On 17 Feb 2006 03:08:59 -0800, "Shuggie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>See http://tinyurl.com/cvwlv
>
>OK, I post this because I love the even-handed attitude of the cyclist,
>typical Aussie fair go point of view. He's from my home town:
>
>He hit his head so hard on the road that the side of his helmet was
>crushed in, leaving a wound near his temple that could have been much
>worse. But he said he was not angry with the driver. ``Accidents
>happen,'' he said. ``I would just like to talk to them about what
>happened.'' And Mr Kohnert, has no grudge with motorists, saying it is
>often the cyclists who need to more careful. ``I also drive a car and I
>see some riders on the road that make me really angry,'' he said.
>
>As balance, I came off my bike last night: my first prang in five and a
>half years of commuting through central London. I braked hard to avoid
>a ped, and although she saw me in time and stopped out of harm's way, I
>lost control of the front wheel on a metal grid and went over the
>handle bars. Cuts to both legs and one hand, badly grazed leather
>shoes, smashed front lights and trip computer (but bike is perfectly
>rideable) and a shed load of embarrassment. Anyway, I wasn't wearing a
>helmet and I'm still alive.

Ah, but if you'd been wearing a helmet, your lights and computer would have been
fine, as would your shoes. Only common sense, innit?

I'll get my coat.

In message <[email protected]>
"Shuggie" <[email protected]> wrote:

> See http://tinyurl.com/cvwlv
>
> OK, I post this because I love the even-handed attitude of the cyclist,
> typical Aussie fair go point of view. He's from my home town:
>
> He hit his head so hard on the road that the side of his helmet was
> crushed in, leaving a wound near his temple

So the Helmet focused the forces against his temple, causeing a wound.
Yet another reason not to use them things.

Martin.

--
According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.