Medical insurance and MTB injuries

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mateo, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Mateo

    Mateo Guest

    Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?

    Thanks, Matthew

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Mateo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance
    plans?

    Nope. Biking is considered an "extreme" sport with high risk of injury.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Mateo wrote:
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?

    Yes.

    Bill "what did you do? :)" S.

  4. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Mateo wrote:

    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >
    > Thanks, Matthew

    Yes.

    Over the past.....(thinking here)... 8 years our family's health insurance has covered multiple sets
    of x-rays and stitches, tetanus shots, and surgical repairs of a separated shoulder and fractured
    wrist, all mtb-related.

    All things considered, it's probably a bargain for the insurance company
    - our families have a history of heart and lung disease, depression, obesity and diabetes, all of
    which have been held at bay by our choice of recreational activity.

    Kathleen

  5. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Mateo wrote:
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >
    > Thanks, Matthew

    Mine have been. Now the problem is GETTING insurance. I need to switch because the COBRA plan I'm on
    is going to run out. Blue Cross won't talk to me until I've been done with treatment and medication
    for at least a year. Bastards!

    Matt

  6. jhuskey

    jhuskey Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2003
    Messages:
    10,590
    One of my duties is handling employee benefits.
    It depends on your carrier and your plan document. Some underwriters exclude sports and or activities that are considered to have forseeeable inherent risk such as auto ,racing ,skiing etc.

  7. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Mateo retorted :
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >
    > Thanks, Matthew

    probably depends on the plan, but I've never heard of one that would exclude things. That's more
    common for life insurance, where there will be exclusions for skydiving and certain other high risk
    activities. ( yes we read it)

    Yes for mine, I've never had a plan ( in 20 years of having coverage ) that excluded
    injuries related to certain sports, and I'm one of those weirdos that actually reads the
    manual cover to cover.

    I am annoyed that the nitrogen treatment for my son's warts is considered Outpatient Surgery and
    applies to the deductible, but I guess that's balanced out by the $10 copay for therapeutic massage.

    Penny

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    Mateo <[email protected]> typed:
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >
    > Thanks, Matthew

    Mine covered me at the time of my broken elbow. The immediately paid thousands to the hospital with
    no question. They balked at a $50 charge for my family doctor to replace the dressing. My suggestion
    is to read the fine print or contact your insurance company. Maybe a supplimental coverage program
    may be available.

    Mike

  9. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Michael Dart retorted :
    > In news:[email protected], Mateo <[email protected]> typed:
    >> Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Matthew
    >
    > Mine covered me at the time of my broken elbow. The immediately paid thousands to the hospital
    > with no question. They balked at a $50 charge for my family doctor to replace the dressing. My
    > suggestion is to read the fine print or contact your insurance company. Maybe a supplimental
    > coverage program may be available.
    >
    > Mike

    yes, we've had a broken elbow covered ( biking) dislocated shoulder ( skiing) and other things too,
    no questions asked.

    Penny

  10. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Mateo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance
    plans?

    > Thanks, Matthew

    Mine's covered me but it's always been for minor stuff. I know Sorni has used his and if you saw the
    infamous Miles Cliff Diving video from New Year's Day, he was also covered.

    In the grand scheme of things, if the insurance beancounters sat down and looked at the numbers,
    they probably pay WAY more to repair knees blown out during football, soccer (or football for the
    rest of the world), Basketball and even baseball/softball games. The numbers of people participating
    in those not so extreme sports far outnumber the people who may break a bone on the MTB.

    Michael

  11. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Mateo wrote:
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >
    > Thanks, Matthew

    For now.

  12. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Michael Paul retorted :
    > "Mateo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Matthew
    >
    > Mine's covered me but it's always been for minor stuff. I know Sorni has used his and if you saw
    > the infamous Miles Cliff Diving video from New Year's Day, he was also covered.
    >
    > In the grand scheme of things, if the insurance beancounters sat down and looked at the numbers,
    > they probably pay WAY more to repair knees blown out during football, soccer (or football for
    > the rest of the world), Basketball and even baseball/softball games. The numbers of people
    > participating in those not so extreme sports far outnumber the people who may break a bone on
    > the MTB.
    >
    > Michael

    or how about ER visits for cold and flu? I have a relative that does that, even with good
    coverage....

    Penny

  13. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "Mateo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance
    plans?

    > Thanks, Matthew

    I've never heard of mountain biking related injuries/conditions not being covered by medical
    insurance in the US. I've never heard of it even being a question in medical insurance. Like Penny
    said, it seems more of an issue with Life Insurance. Like with her skydiving example, it falls into
    the high risk or extreme sports category. Although there are companies out there who have no such
    stipulations (including for skydiving - I've had to check on that).

    My medical insurance (between Blue Cross and Kaiser) has never been an issue with injuries related
    to either skydiving or mountain biking. Dislocated shoulders, broken bones, lacerations and
    stitches, sprains, tendonitis, Lyme disease (related, but not an injury) or whatever else.

    But it probably does depend on the insurance provider/coverage. For Blue Cross and Kaiser anyway,
    they don't seem to care.

    --

    FlyingCoyote

    --

  14. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?

    Mountain bike? Who said anything about a mountain bike?

  15. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Mateo wrote:
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >
    > Thanks, Matthew7

    Damn straight it is! And I should know, about 9 hrs in the ER and a few dozen x-ray/c-scans, not to
    mention the drugs :) Cost me $70 co-pay ($35 for each ER)
    --
    Slacker

  16. B A R R Y

    B A R R Y Guest

    On 19 Feb 2004 07:54:23 -0800, [email protected] (Mateo) wrote:

    >Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?

    My broken shoulder, twisted knee, and cut shin were. <G>

    Barry

  17. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]ews1.newsguy.com

    > In news:[email protected], Mateo <[email protected]> typed:
    >> Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Matthew
    >
    > Mine covered me at the time of my broken elbow. The immediately paid thousands to the hospital
    > with no question. They balked at a $50 charge for my family doctor to replace the dressing. My
    > suggestion is to read the fine print or contact your insurance company. Maybe a supplimental
    > coverage program may be available.
    >
    > Mike

    AFLAK....AFLAK

  18. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Mateo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance plans?
    >
    > I've never heard of mountain biking related injuries/conditions not being covered by medical
    > insurance in the US. I've never heard of it even being a question in medical insurance.

    I *have* heard of it being a question. I wish I could remember exactly the source, but I *think*
    it came from my former employer's insurance provider (FirstHealth). They were considering (IIRC)
    instituting either a special deductable or an outright exclusion of injuries incurred by
    participants of a list of "high-risk" sports like mtb, downhill skiing, skydiving, rock
    climbing, etc.

    But my memory is cloudy and indistinct. I blame the 80s.

    Point is, the insurance people of the world survive by reducing their exposure to risk. Once they
    decide that some activity or behavior is risky, they will measure the risk in terms of dollars per
    year, and then figure out how to pass that risk-cost on to their customers (us).

    > [clip]... But it probably does depend on the insurance provider/coverage. For Blue Cross and
    > Kaiser anyway, they don't seem to care.

    I think this is really the key. In the USA, where we have no universal health care, and no will to
    demand such, all of us are subject to the fine print on the contracts written by our insurers. It is
    prudent to either read the fine print, or call your insurer's customer disservice department and
    demand to know their policy (and know where it is stated in writing, or get it stated in writing).

    FWIW, the last noteworthy mtb accident I suffered, shoulder dislocation in January of '03, I was
    covered (thank goodness). Now that I've been "promoted to customer" by my former employer, I'm on my
    wife's insurance. We checked with them to confirm that my "habit" was covered. If her insurer had a
    policy to exlude mtb accidents, I would have bought major medical coverage and paid whatever it cost
    to confirm that I was covered for mtb accidents.

    Because they happen. And in our fully-private, expensive-as-the-dickens system of healthcare, having
    a non-trivial uncovered accident can ruin a family's financial world.
    --
    Tom "hold my beer and watch this" Purvis
    Salida, CO

  19. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    "Mateo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are mountain biking injuries normally covered under US medical insurance
    plans?

    > Thanks, Matthew

    Some coverage is cut off at "racing," so if you're doing an organized race, then you probably
    want to state that you were riding your bike and you fell, if you simply have to divulge what you
    were doing.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  20. B a r r y

    B a r r y Guest

    FWIW, my medical insurance has no exclusions, even motor racing, unless it's done PROFESSIONALLY. In
    other words, I can buy a race car and drive it on Friday and Saturday nights at the local tracks, as
    long as it's not my primary income. If I quit my day job and race full time, I need new medical
    insurance.

    Statistically, which is how insurance companies view nearly everything, I'm probably more likely to
    get seriously maimed in my wood shop or by my lawn mower, than I am on a bicycle, skis, or flying a
    private plane.

    On the other hand, my life insurance has three (3) specifically stated exclusions. The exclusions
    are; hang gliding, ultralight piloting, and skydiving.

    One of my coworkers is a hang glider pilot learning to fly ultra lights. He gets cheesed because my
    family is protected when I fly a small, FAA registered aircraft, but his isn't when he flies his
    ultralight.

    I'd go with what other posters said, and if you crash the mountain bike, tell the medical folks "I
    fell off my bike". <G>

    Barry