Meet Mt. Bike Pioneers at Trips for Kids Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marilyn Price

--------------E0C2985A34DB147726AECAB9 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Meet Mountain Bike Pioneers at Trips for Kids Fundraiser

Mountain biking pioneers will support Trips for Kids at the fifth annual “Brews, Bikes and Bucks”
fundraising party on February 2nd from 2-6 p.m. at the Broken Drum Brewery, 1132 Fourth Street in
San Rafael. Well known mountain bike pioneers such as Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Scot Nicol, Jacquie
Phelan, Otis Guy, Charles Kelly, Ross Shafer, the Koski brothers, and Steve Gravenitis will be
guests at the event. There is no charge for admission, but Noah Berry, proprietor of the Broken Drum
Brewery, will donate proceeds from food and drink sales to Trips for Kids.

There will be drawing for a 2003 Jamis Exile Mountain Bike sized to fit the winner (retail value
$730) at the event. The bike will be on display at the Broken Drum Brewery. Advance raffle tickets
will be available for sale at our Re-Cyclery thrift shop and at the Broken Drum.

Trips for Kids was founded by Marilyn Price in 1988 to take inner city youth in the San Francisco
Bay Area on mountain bike rides. It has since expanded to include an earn-a-bike program and a well
known bicycle thrift shop, Re-Cyclery, in San Rafael. To serve as many kids as possible, Trips for
Kids started expanding nationally two years ago. Now, there are 27 Trips for Kids groups across
North America that expect to reach 3,000 youth next year. Price says, “Trips for Kids owes its
existence to the early mountain bike pioneers – they developed the sport and we are here to be sure
that the mountain biking is available to everyone. Our annual party at the Broken Drum is a
celebration of this wonderful sport.”

Trips for Kids uses the bike as a tool to instill positive values and healthy habits. A mountain
bike ride can show kids the fun in a physical challenge, as well as build self-esteem. When so much
in the lives of these children is inconsistent or inadequate it is the commitment of the Trips for
Kids to provide a concentrated dose of empowerment, happiness and physical exhilaration. Price knows
that there’s a long-term benefit from Trips for Kids rides. “Once they make it up a hill, I know
they’ve learned something. As one boy said after a ride, ‘I learned that if I stick with it, I can
make it to the top.’”

For more details about the Brews, Bikes and Bucks fundraiser or about Trips for Kids call
415/458-2986. The Trips for Kids mailing address is 138 Sunnyside, Mill Valley, CA 94941; e-mail is
[email protected] and website is http://www.tripsforkids.org

--------------E0C2985A34DB147726AECAB9 Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html>
<b>Meet Mountain Bike Pioneers at Trips for Kids Fundraiser</b>
<c>Mountain biking pioneers will support Trips for Kids at the fifth annual “Brews, Bikes and Bucks”
fundraising party on February 2nd from 2-6 p.m. at the Broken Drum Brewery, 1132 Fourth Street in
San Rafael. Well known mountain bike pioneers such as Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Scot Nicol,
Jacquie Phelan, Otis Guy, Charles Kelly, Ross Shafer, the Koski brothers, and Steve Gravenitis
will be guests at the event. There is no charge for admission, but Noah Berry, proprietor of the
Broken Drum Brewery, will donate proceeds from food and drink sales to Trips for Kids.
<d>There will be drawing for a 2003 Jamis Exile Mountain Bike sized to fit the winner (retail value
$730) at the event. The bike will be on display at the Broken Drum Brewery. Advance
raffle tickets will be available for sale at our Re-Cyclery thrift shop and at the Broken Drum.
<e>Trips for Kids was founded by Marilyn Price in 1988 to take inner city youth in the San Francisco
Bay Area on mountain bike rides. It has since expanded to include an earn-a-bike program
and a well known bicycle thrift shop, Re-Cyclery, in San Rafael. To serve as many kids as
possible, Trips for Kids started expanding nationally two years ago. Now, there are 27 Trips for
Kids groups across North America that expect to reach 3,000 youth next year. Price says,
“Trips for Kids owes its existence to the early mountain bike pioneers – they developed the sport
and we are here to be sure that the mountain biking is available to everyone. Our annual
party at the Broken Drum is a celebration of this wonderful sport.”
<f>Trips for Kids uses the bike as a tool to instill positive values and healthy habits. A mountain
bike ride can show kids the fun in a physical challenge, as well as build self-esteem. When so
much in the lives of these children is inconsistent or inadequate it is the commitment of the
Trips for Kids to provide a concentrated dose of empowerment, happiness and physical
exhilaration. Price knows that there’s a long-term benefit from Trips for Kids rides. “Once they
make it up a hill, I know they’ve learned something. As one boy said after a ride, ‘I learned
that if I stick with it, I can make it to the top.’”
<g>For more details about the Brews, Bikes and Bucks fundraiser or about Trips for Kids call
415/458-2986. The Trips for Kids mailing address is 138 Sunnyside, Mill Valley, CA 94941; e-mail
is [email protected] and website is <a
href="http://www.tripsforkids.org">http://www.tripsforkids.org</a></html>

--------------E0C2985A34DB147726AECAB9--

Status
Not open for further replies.