Meeting on the Humber bridge.

Simon Mason

Guest
Last night I was cycling alone on the Humber Bridge heading south when this
guy on a TT bike came alongside and asked if I was going to the time trial.
Well blow me down if it wasn't local TT animal Chris Whitelam. (10 mile TT
in 22 mins)

http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/2005/ClubTT/Bartley/57 Chris Whitelam.jpg

Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all costs
but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I look capable
of doing myself justice, who knows?

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

> Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all
> costs but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I
> look capable of doing myself justice, who knows?

Take it you were on the Fondriest? Don't worry, my road bike is too good
for my legs too ;-)

Seriously tho, whizz off down the road for 10 miles and see what you get.
I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an ok time.

Mark Thompson wrote:
> > Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all
> > costs but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I
> > look capable of doing myself justice, who knows?

> Take it you were on the Fondriest? Don't worry, my road bike is too good
> for my legs too ;-)
>
> Seriously tho, whizz off down the road for 10 miles and see what you get.
> I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an ok time.

Good plan, but it might give you an even better idea if you do an
out-and-back. Start 5 miles from a roundabout, go round it and return
to your starting point.

--
Dave...

> Last night I was cycling alone on the Humber Bridge heading south when
> this guy on a TT bike came alongside and asked if I was going to the time
> trial. Well blow me down if it wasn't local TT animal Chris Whitelam. (10
> mile TT in 22 mins)
>
> http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/2005/ClubTT/Bartley/57 Chris Whitelam.jpg
>
> Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all costs
> but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I look
> capable of doing myself justice, who knows?

I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a decent TT. The thing with TTs
is, the times others do really need not concern you - you can pitch your
ride at simply doing the best *you can do* on any given course and keep
trying to improve *for yourself*. Nathan loves his TT-ing as he sees himself
improve over time. Doesn't matter what others are doing - he aims to improve
his own times.

Cheers, helen s

in message <[email protected]>, Mark
Thompson
('pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com') wrote:

>> Had a pleasant chat and explained that I am trying to avoid TTs all
>> costs but I go training with a lot of TT guys. Still, if CW thinks I
>> look capable of doing myself justice, who knows?

> Take it you were on the Fondriest? Don't worry, my road bike is too
> good for my legs too ;-)
>
> Seriously tho, whizz off down the road for 10 miles and see what you
> get. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an ok time.

It doesn't really matter with TTs anyway. You're racing against yourself.
I'm regularly last or close to last in the TTs I compete in, but I like
watching my performance improve.

;; my other religion is Emacs

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a decent TT. The thing with
> TTs is, the times others do really need not concern you - you can pitch
> your ride at simply doing the best *you can do* on any given course and
> keep trying to improve *for yourself*. Nathan loves his TT-ing as he sees
> himself improve over time. Doesn't matter what others are doing - he aims
> to improve his own times.

I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain and
very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

Simon

Simon Mason wrote:
> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a decent TT. The thing with
> > TTs is, the times others do really need not concern you - you can pitch
> > your ride at simply doing the best *you can do* on any given course and
> > keep trying to improve *for yourself*. Nathan loves his TT-ing as he sees
> > himself improve over time. Doesn't matter what others are doing - he aims
> > to improve his own times.

> I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain and
> very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

It doesn't have to be. I TT on the same bike I was riding 15 years ago.
The challenge is against oneself, on a particular course, on a
particular set of equipment. If the bike fits and is comfortable then
just get on with it and unless you are competing against others (rather
than riding an event with others), the expensive bits aren't necessary.

...d

Simon Mason wrote:

> I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain and
> very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

If you're patient, Nathan will discover girls and then Helen will have a
load of very expensive aero bits and bobs going spare. ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

> Simon Mason wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain
>> and very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)
>>

> If you're patient, Nathan will discover girls and then Helen will have a
> load of very expensive aero bits and bobs going spare. ;-)

Some of our local lads are at the same age. It's either young lads or 40 or
50 year olds in our club, so there could be cheap gear going soon when the
booze and birds become more seductive than grunting up hills in the cold and
wet ;-) Mind you, most of these lads are skint and try bumming stuff off me!

--

Simon Mason wrote:

> Mind you, most of these lads are skint and try bumming stuff off me!

That's why you need someone like Nathan with generous parents ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Simon Mason wrote:
> I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain and
> very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

Get bent, then you can get more aero just by drinking more beer :)

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

On 6 May,
"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Simon Mason wrote:
> > "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >

> > > I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a decent TT. The thing with
> > > TTs is, the times others do really need not concern you - you can pitch
> > > your ride at simply doing the best *you can do* on any given course and
> > > keep trying to improve *for yourself*. Nathan loves his TT-ing as he
> > > sees himself improve over time. Doesn't matter what others are doing -
> > > he aims to improve his own times.

> > I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain
> > and very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

> It doesn't have to be. I TT on the same bike I was riding 15 years ago. The
> challenge is against oneself, on a particular course, on a particular set
> of equipment. If the bike fits and is comfortable then just get on with it
> and unless you are competing against others (rather than riding an event
> with others), the expensive bits aren't necessary.

What's the slowest times for 10 mile TTs? From my triathlon days (over due to
dodgy knee for running) I would take 30-35 mins. Would I be likely to be
right off the back of the field? I /would/ like to get back to competing.

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

[email protected] wrote:
> On 6 May,
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Simon Mason wrote:
> > > "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain
> > > and very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

> > It doesn't have to be. I TT on the same bike I was riding 15 years ago.The
> > challenge is against oneself, on a particular course, on a particular set
> > of equipment. If the bike fits and is comfortable then just get on withit
> > and unless you are competing against others (rather than riding an event
> > with others), the expensive bits aren't necessary.

> What's the slowest times for 10 mile TTs? From my triathlon days (over due to
> dodgy knee for running) I would take 30-35 mins. Would I be likely to be
> right off the back of the field? I /would/ like to get back to competing.

That's not too long. If in doubt get the organisers to set you off
towards the front of the field (better done with a small field as it
makes the timekeepers job easier if they don't have to wait another 5
mins or so..

...d

> --
> BD
> Change lycos to yahoo to reply

in message <4E22C82992%[email protected]>, [email protected]
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 6 May,
> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Simon Mason wrote:
>> > "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of
>> > pain and very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

>> It doesn't have to be. I TT on the same bike I was riding 15 years
>> ago. The challenge is against oneself, on a particular course, on a
>> particular set of equipment. If the bike fits and is comfortable then
>> just get on with it and unless you are competing against others
>> (rather than riding an event with others), the expensive bits aren't
>> necessary.

> What's the slowest times for 10 mile TTs? From my triathlon days (over
> due to dodgy knee for running) I would take 30-35 mins. Would I be
> likely to be right off the back of the field? I /would/ like to get
> back to competing.

You'd beat me, then, most weeks. Here are my results for last year:
http://www.stewartry-wheelers.org/wheelers/resultsearch?Class=10 miles&Team=1

Ring of great evil
Small one casts it into flame
Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

Simon Mason wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4E22C82992%[email protected]...
> > On 6 May,

> > What's the slowest times for 10 mile TTs? From my triathlon days (over due
> > dodgy knee for running) I would take 30-35 mins. Would I be likely to be
> > right off the back of the field? I /would/ like to get back to competing.

> The slowest members of our club take about 32 mins.
>
> http://www.hullthursdayrc.co.uk/2006/clubtt/markswift.html

>From the RR you have given in the past, it sounds like you should be at

least on course for evens.

...d

[email protected] wrote:

> From my experience of Hull, that's a very flat course. I'd probably be ok,
> unless it was windy and straight. What are the age groups? I'm (just) over
> 60.

Does anyone younger ride TT's?
You'll have to doff your cap to your fellow competitors ;-)

tt

David Martin wrote:
> Simon Mason wrote:
>> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> I'm sure you are more than capable of doing a decent TT. The thing with
>>> TTs is, the times others do really need not concern you - you can pitch
>>> your ride at simply doing the best *you can do* on any given course and
>>> keep trying to improve *for yourself*. Nathan loves his TT-ing as he sees
>>> himself improve over time. Doesn't matter what others are doing - he aims
>>> to improve his own times.

>> I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain and
>> very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)

> It doesn't have to be. I TT on the same bike I was riding 15 years ago.
> The challenge is against oneself, on a particular course, on a
> particular set of equipment. If the bike fits and is comfortable then
> just get on with it and unless you are competing against others (rather
> than riding an event with others), the expensive bits aren't necessary.
>
> ..d

IMO unless you are competing against the others you are cheating
yourself by BUYING go faster parts and equipment. Mean't to be the race
of truth, don't kid yourself you are making progress when you get new
kit. ;-)

On Sun, 07 May 2006 13:36:05 +0100, MSeries wrote:
> IMO unless you are competing against the others you are cheating
> yourself by BUYING go faster parts and equipment. Mean't to be the race
> of truth, don't kid yourself you are making progress when you get new
> kit. ;-)

Although for any given piece of bling bought, the TT that immediately
follows will usually be faster. My mate and I call this the "shiny new
bits, speed increase". Simply putting new bar tape on can be enough. ;-)

Jon