Meeting on the Humber bridge.

Jon Senior wrote:
> On Sun, 07 May 2006 13:36:05 +0100, MSeries wrote:
>> IMO unless you are competing against the others you are cheating
>> yourself by BUYING go faster parts and equipment. Mean't to be the race
>> of truth, don't kid yourself you are making progress when you get new
>> kit. ;-)

> Although for any given piece of bling bought, the TT that immediately
> follows will usually be faster. My mate and I call this the "shiny new
> bits, speed increase". Simply putting new bar tape on can be enough. ;-)
>
> Jon

Don't get me started about bar tape. Some of the abominations I have
seem on peoples handlebars recently is frankly appalling. If they
neglect a part of the bike they can see everytime they ride, heaven
knows what condition their BB or hub bearings are in !!! ;-)

MSeries wrote:

> Jon Senior wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 May 2006 13:36:05 +0100, MSeries wrote:
> >> IMO unless you are competing against the others you are cheating
> >> yourself by BUYING go faster parts and equipment. Mean't to be the race
> >> of truth, don't kid yourself you are making progress when you get new
> >> kit. ;-)

> > Although for any given piece of bling bought, the TT that immediately
> > follows will usually be faster. My mate and I call this the "shiny new
> > bits, speed increase". Simply putting new bar tape on can be enough. ;-)
> >
> > Jon

> Don't get me started about bar tape. Some of the abominations I have
> seem on peoples handlebars recently is frankly appalling. If they
> neglect a part of the bike they can see everytime they ride, heaven
> knows what condition their BB or hub bearings are in !!! ;-)

Bar tape on a TT bike?
Think of all that extra weight.
All you need is a short piece on the drops.

John B

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> IMO unless you are competing against the others you are cheating yourself
> by BUYING go faster parts and equipment. Mean't to be the race of truth,
> don't kid yourself you are making progress when you get new kit. ;-)

Two of this years TT series are for standard road bikes only. Even aero
helmets are banned.

Usual rules are:

"There are some restrictions regarding the equipment which you can ride in a
time trial. Your brake levers must be positioned so that you can get to them
quickly in the event of an emergency from your normal riding riding
positions. Clamp-on Triathlon bars, and equivalents, may used. A solid disc
wheel may be used at the rear of your bike but must not be fitted as the
front wheel. Spoked and composite spoked (tri-spoked) wheels may be used in
the front and rear wheel positions. Under no circumstances may streamlining
devices be used i.e. wheel covers."

John B wrote:

> MSeries wrote:
>
>> Jon Senior wrote:
>>> Although for any given piece of bling bought, the TT that immediately
>>> follows will usually be faster. My mate and I call this the "shiny new
>>> bits, speed increase". Simply putting new bar tape on can be enough. ;-)
>>>
>>> Jon

>> Don't get me started about bar tape. Some of the abominations I have
>> seem on peoples handlebars recently is frankly appalling. If they
>> neglect a part of the bike they can see everytime they ride, heaven
>> knows what condition their BB or hub bearings are in !!! ;-)

> Bar tape on a TT bike?
> Think of all that extra weight.
> All you need is a short piece on the drops.
>
> John B

I wasn't particularly thinking about TT bikes, but reducing weight on
the bike is surely cheating oneself.

MSeries wrote:

> I wasn't particularly thinking about TT bikes, but reducing weight on
> the bike is surely cheating oneself.

you have much to rearn glasshopper ;-)
(speaking of which got my first evening 10 for nearly 2 years on Tues,
although being officially Slow no-one even notices my existence)

MartinM wrote:

> (speaking of which got my first evening 10 for nearly 2 years on Tues,
> although being officially Slow no-one even notices my existence)

You need to talk to young Nathan, ye Sonne of Dame PavingeSlabbe of
Norfolke.
A friend who was riding in Devon where the young laddie was racing told
me he is leading a national competition.
Well done if so.
Hopefully we will receive a report of the trip in due course.

tt

triddletree wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > (speaking of which got my first evening 10 for nearly 2 years on Tues,
> > although being officially Slow no-one even notices my existence)

> You need to talk to young Nathan, ye Sonne of Dame PavingeSlabbe of
> Norfolke.
> A friend who was riding in Devon where the young laddie was racing told
> me he is leading a national competition.
> Well done if so.
> Hopefully we will receive a report of the trip in due course.

It appears to be a veracious statement.

http://www.kingslynntoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=993&ArticleID=1462323

...d

David Martin wrote:
> triddletree wrote:
> > MartinM wrote:
> >
> > > (speaking of which got my first evening 10 for nearly 2 years on Tues,
> > > although being officially Slow no-one even notices my existence)

> > You need to talk to young Nathan, ye Sonne of Dame PavingeSlabbe of
> > Norfolke.
> > A friend who was riding in Devon where the young laddie was racing told
> > me he is leading a national competition.
> > Well done if so.
> > Hopefully we will receive a report of the trip in due course.

> It appears to be a veracious statement.
>
> http://www.kingslynntoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=993&ArticleID=1462323

A quick search of the RTTC site shows he is entered in the Junior
National 10 on 21 May. Start time about half way down the field, just
above the juggernaught chasers ;-)

It will be interesting to see how he compares against the best juniors
in England.

...d

> Simon Mason wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later - then it's a world of pain
>> and very expensive aero bits and bobs ;-)
>>

> If you're patient, Nathan will discover girls and then Helen will have a
> load of very expensive aero bits and bobs going spare. ;-)

:-D

So far he's more than happy to remain faithful to his bicycles. I've warned
him about the dangers of women...

Cheers, helen s

"triddletree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MartinM wrote:
>
>> (speaking of which got my first evening 10 for nearly 2 years on Tues,
>> although being officially Slow no-one even notices my existence)

> You need to talk to young Nathan, ye Sonne of Dame PavingeSlabbe of
> Norfolke.
> A friend who was riding in Devon where the young laddie was racing told me
> he is leading a national competition.
> Well done if so.
> Hopefully we will receive a report of the trip in due course.
>
> tt

Ye Offspringe is enjoying his TT-ing and is gradually improving. He is
currently leading the junior section of the Rudy Project Series at the
halfway point, but that may or may not last. If it does: great. If it
doesn't: que sera! Indeed we were down in Devon at the weekend, but it was a
disaster. He had a couple of cars overtake him and then just sit in front of
him... moving slowly and he couldn't overtake. He was particularly spitting
tacks about an ice cream van which overtook him on a downhill and then so
carefully remained in front of him at a slow speed... Sometimes that's the
way the cookie crumbles. It was the hardest leg of the series for him yet,
as it was the longest and lumpiest so far for the juniors. He did not do
well on this one, but as he said afterwards, it's all good experience and it
makes him stronger.

We stayed in a farmhouse B&B at Peter Tavy (Sowton Town Farm) which was
good. Welcoming place - dogs, cat, clean rooms, food very edible, hosts very
accommodating and price reasonable. We'd go back there if we were looking
for somewhere to stay.

Cheers, helen s

In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason
([email protected]) wrote:

> Usual rules are:

[...]

> A solid disc wheel may be used at the rear of your bike but must not be
> fitted as the front wheel. Spoked and composite spoked (tri-spoked)
> wheels may be used in the front and rear wheel positions. Under no
> circumstances may streamlining devices be used i.e. wheel covers."

Which particular piece of nonsense is the one rule more likely to make
me explode than any other.

(explodes)

Do not top-post like a Cretinous Foul-Yob fit only for Stoning.

Simon Mason wrote:

> I'm sure I'll get sucked in sooner or later

No pun intended, I hope - slipstreaming other riders will get you into
trouble with the race officials ;-)

David Belcher

David Martin wrote:

> A quick search of the RTTC site shows he is entered in the Junior
> National 10 on 21 May. Start time about half way down the field, just
> above the juggernaught chasers ;-)
>
> It will be interesting to see how he compares against the best juniors
> in England.

As he's leading the Rudy Project, one would expect him to be a medal
contender, especially as he will be one of the older riders.
It will be interesting to see.

tt

"triddletree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Martin wrote:
>
>> A quick search of the RTTC site shows he is entered in the Junior
>> National 10 on 21 May. Start time about half way down the field, just
>> above the juggernaught chasers ;-)
>>
>> It will be interesting to see how he compares against the best juniors
>> in England.

> As he's leading the Rudy Project, one would expect him to be a medal
> contender, especially as he will be one of the older riders.
> It will be interesting to see.
>
> tt

Nathan is not yet one of the really fast boys. He is, however, thoroughly
enjoying working on improving his skill. His current pb for a 10 is 23.56
and it wasn't on a dragstrip course. It was done in the rain with a nasty
headwind for half the course, so I'm sure he can go faster with time and
experience.

His coach, Dave Green (RAF CC - RAAM winner) is excellent at keeping him
motivated. The attitude towards TT-ing is firstly, enjoy it. The day Nathan
stops enjoying his sport is the day he stops doing it. Secondly, he aims to
the best *he* can, on any given course on any given day and as long as he's
tried his best, that's all that can be asked of him.

The idea of him doing the Rudy Project Series & the national is simply to
give him experience of riding other kinds of terrain and in different areas,
as a way of keeping his interest developing. He's also finding that as he's
travelling to events, he's making the acqaintance of some good people
(fellow riders) who are encouraging him and this is rather nice. There's a
noticeable difference in Nathan this season:change of club and more varied
courses are seeing him grow in confidence and he's enjoying his sport even
more. That last bit, for me, is the most important thing.

On the plus side too - he's not becoming a petrolhead in the same way as
some of his mates are. Nathan wants to learn to drive, but is in no rush to
do so as he can go pretty much anywhere he wants to by bike, so I think that
being a cyclist is giving him a healthier attitude to cars, as in not
relying on them for transport.

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:

> Ye Offspringe is enjoying his TT-ing and is gradually improving. He is
> currently leading the junior section of the Rudy Project Series at the
> halfway point, but that may or may not last.

Well done anyway. How many ride these events?
I had the impression that it was only a dozen or so riders but if there
are now more Junior riders competing then the sport may reverse its decline.

tt