Megaexo vs Isis

RS

Guest
OK, is the megaexo thing just Hype? It seems to make sense but does it
really matter. I've got a road bike (Fondriest) that I'm going to try a
compact on. I've get extra ISIS brackets and was thinking of going with
the ISIS version of the FSS Energy Compact. They also make a newer
version with the outboard bearings? Or I might try the Shimano R700.
Any thoughts on worth the bit of extra money for the newest thing,
outboard bearings?

thanks to all, Rick

RS wrote:
> OK, is the megaexo thing just Hype? It seems to make sense but does it
> really matter. I've got a road bike (Fondriest) that I'm going to try a
> compact on. I've get extra ISIS brackets and was thinking of going with
> the ISIS version of the FSS Energy Compact. They also make a newer
> version with the outboard bearings? Or I might try the Shimano R700.
> Any thoughts on worth the bit of extra money for the newest thing,
> outboard bearings?
>
> thanks to all, Rick

The manufacturer's claim is that outer bearing cranks are stiffer and
that the bearings last longer because they are bigger. Reality is you
probably won't be able to detect or measure either one of these claims,
so don't get your hopes up. I always buy into the new technology
because I worry about future part replacement. One good thing about the
new design is that the crank is easier to get off once installed. You
will probably need to have your bottom bracket "faced" though as the
outbearings need a more precise fit.

Chris

RS wrote:
> OK, is the megaexo thing just Hype? It seems to make sense but does it
> really matter. I've got a road bike (Fondriest) that I'm going to try a
> compact on. I've get extra ISIS brackets and was thinking of going with
> the ISIS version of the FSS Energy Compact. They also make a newer
> version with the outboard bearings? Or I might try the Shimano R700.
> Any thoughts on worth the bit of extra money for the newest thing,
> outboard bearings?
>
> thanks to all, Rick

What is hype is Octalink and ISIS. The lack of reliability with
Octalink, and shimano's attempt to control 'spline' gave ride to ISIS.
ISIS, complete with teeny bearings, doesn't last very long..enter
outboard bearings. These DO solve problems with the two mentioned but
it should be remembered that these two did NOT answer any question or
solve any problem with respect to square taper. NOW the market is awash
with these with their own set of problems, like lack of flexibility
with regards to too small or too large BB shells and inability to make
them work on a cross frame with fat stays, for instance. Sluugish as
well, with all the seals.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> RS wrote:
> > OK, is the megaexo thing just Hype? It seems to make sense but does it
> > really matter. I've got a road bike (Fondriest) that I'm going to try a
> > compact on. I've get extra ISIS brackets and was thinking of going with
> > the ISIS version of the FSS Energy Compact. They also make a newer
> > version with the outboard bearings? Or I might try the Shimano R700.
> > Any thoughts on worth the bit of extra money for the newest thing,
> > outboard bearings?
> >
> > thanks to all, Rick

> What is hype is Octalink and ISIS. The lack of reliability with
> Octalink, and shimano's attempt to control 'spline' gave ride to ISIS.
> ISIS, complete with teeny bearings, doesn't last very long..enter
> outboard bearings. These DO solve problems with the two mentioned but
> it should be remembered that these two did NOT answer any question or
> solve any problem with respect to square taper. NOW the market is awash
> with these with their own set of problems, like lack of flexibility
> with regards to too small or too large BB shells and inability to make
> them work on a cross frame with fat stays, for instance. Sluugish as
> well, with all the seals.

using megaexo, stiffest bb I've ever enjoyed; bike SQUIRTS up hills, no
hype about that

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:28:19 -0800, RS <[email protected]> may
have said:

>OK, is the megaexo thing just Hype?

If you aren't having problems with the setup you have now, then any
advertising that seeks to lure you away from it can be regarded as
"just hype". If you're having problems with or you are being limited
by a shortcoming in your current setup, and a MegaExo crank would
address the issues, then the product may have value...but the
propaganda may still be hype.

> It seems to make sense but does it really matter.

It has benefits for some riders, but not all.

>I've got a road bike (Fondriest) that I'm going to try a
>compact on. I've get extra ISIS brackets and was thinking of going with
>the ISIS version of the FSS Energy Compact. They also make a newer
>version with the outboard bearings? Or I might try the Shimano R700.
>Any thoughts on worth the bit of extra money for the newest thing,
>outboard bearings?

IMO, if conventional layouts are doing the job for you, there's little
reason to swap to bleeding-edge outboard-bearing designs. OTOH, the
ISIS BB has a known issue in at least some instances, related to the
fact that there's a sharp shoulder on at least some of them which can
cause shaft failure. If you need to replace your cranks, and the
choice is between ISIS and MegaExo for a small or acceptable
difference in price, I'd go with the outboard bearings. TJMO. YMMV.

I have had all 3 types. The square taper BB were very reliable but the
square interface is flexy. Isis BB are junk. You are lucky to get 6
months before you have a coffee grinder. The new outboard bearing style
are the real deal. Super stiff I can push a bigger gear in the same
situation. I have heard the outboard bearings wear out quicker than a
square taper due to the seals but I have not had mine long enough to
experience this. I plan on replacing my Shimano outboard bearings with
Enduro bearings once they wear out.

Patrick

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > RS wrote:
> > > OK, is the megaexo thing just Hype? It seems to make sense but does it
> > > really matter. I've got a road bike (Fondriest) that I'm going to try a
> > > compact on. I've get extra ISIS brackets and was thinking of going with
> > > the ISIS version of the FSS Energy Compact. They also make a newer
> > > version with the outboard bearings? Or I might try the Shimano R700.
> > > Any thoughts on worth the bit of extra money for the newest thing,
> > > outboard bearings?
> > >
> > > thanks to all, Rick

> > What is hype is Octalink and ISIS. The lack of reliability with
> > Octalink, and shimano's attempt to control 'spline' gave ride to ISIS.
> > ISIS, complete with teeny bearings, doesn't last very long..enter
> > outboard bearings. These DO solve problems with the two mentioned but
> > it should be remembered that these two did NOT answer any question or
> > solve any problem with respect to square taper. NOW the market is awash
> > with these with their own set of problems, like lack of flexibility
> > with regards to too small or too large BB shells and inability to make
> > them work on a cross frame with fat stays, for instance. Sluugish as
> > well, with all the seals.

> using megaexo, stiffest bb I've ever enjoyed; bike SQUIRTS up hills, no
> hype about that

Right, no hype at all. "Ride" mag tested these and found them the least
stiff of many cranks.Just think how fast you would go uphill with
shimano!!

RS wrote:
> OK, is the megaexo thing just Hype? It seems to make sense but does it
> really matter. I've got a road bike (Fondriest) that I'm going to try a
> compact on. I've get extra ISIS brackets and was thinking of going with
> the ISIS version of the FSS Energy Compact. They also make a newer
> version with the outboard bearings? Or I might try the Shimano R700.
> Any thoughts on worth the bit of extra money for the newest thing,
> outboard bearings?
>
> thanks to all, Rick

I've got square taper on 3 or 4 bikes (including track and MTBs), Isis
on one (MTB), Octalink on one (road), and external on a new road bike I
just put together.

Just to pile on, I'd put ISIS/Octalink at the bottom of the heap based
purely on durability. Mine turn into peppermills every year, which is,
alone, enough to go move on to a different system. Not cheap + not
durable + largely proprietary = not good.

The square tapers do their work without fuss. You don't have to think
about them. Highly evolved, cheap, and they last. That is about the
highest accolades I can give a bike product. They're the quiet members
of this newsgroup who actually know things without having to brand it
on your chest.

After installing outboard on a friend's bike last summer, I thought it
was a good system. Through the very scientific "remove the chain and
spin the cranks" test, there's greater drag, but I'd assume that it
will decrease over time (as the seals wear....) I installed a set of
FSA Gossamer/FSA MegaExo on a bike I just put together and so far so
good. I'm a big guy who can't always spin in hills so I'm hoping that
I'll to benefit from the reported increase in stiffness, but, you know,
perceived bb sway can have more than one culprit. And, as much as I
hate to say it, you'll benefit from having the newest stuff which will
save you from having to purchase an extremely rare ISIS BB at a premium
in a year.

/s

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> > > What is hype is Octalink and ISIS. The lack of reliability with
> > > Octalink, and shimano's attempt to control 'spline' gave ride to ISIS.
> > > ISIS, complete with teeny bearings, doesn't last very long..enter
> > > outboard bearings. These DO solve problems with the two mentioned but
> > > it should be remembered that these two did NOT answer any question or
> > > solve any problem with respect to square taper. NOW the market is awash
> > > with these with their own set of problems, like lack of flexibility
> > > with regards to too small or too large BB shells and inability to make
> > > them work on a cross frame with fat stays, for instance. Sluugish as
> > > well, with all the seals.

> > using megaexo, stiffest bb I've ever enjoyed; bike SQUIRTS up hills, no
> > hype about that

> Right, no hype at all. "Ride" mag tested these and found them the least
> stiff of many cranks.Just think how fast you would go uphill with
> shimano!!

talking about bb not cranks, right ?

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > using megaexo, stiffest bb I've ever enjoyed; bike SQUIRTS up hills, no
> > > hype about that

> > Right, no hype at all. "Ride" mag tested these and found them the least
> > stiff of many cranks.Just think how fast you would go uphill with
> > shimano!!

> talking about bb not cranks, right ?

It's a system - if one of the components is limp, the others don't
matter all that much.

Did love that comment that the "bike SQUIRTS up hills, no hype about
that".

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> > > Right, no hype at all. "Ride" mag tested these and found them the least
> > > stiff of many cranks.Just think how fast you would go uphill with
> > > shimano!!

> > talking about bb not cranks, right ?

> It's a system - if one of the components is limp, the others don't
> matter all that much.

Don't be a party pooper! ;-)

Now that those wimpy square taper BB spindles have been dealt with, I'm
waiting for Shimano to resurrect the Dynadrive pedals (with a new name
of course). This time around, they can make the dropped pedal spindle
larger in diameter, for more stiffness. And all those bleeding edge
riders will need new cranks for the new stiffer pedals.

> Did love that comment that the "bike SQUIRTS up hills, no hype about
> that".

There's nothing like expectation effects to cloud over reality!

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > using megaexo, stiffest bb I've ever enjoyed; bike SQUIRTS up hills, no
> > > hype about that

> > Right, no hype at all. "Ride" mag tested these and found them the least
> > stiff of many cranks.Just think how fast you would go uphill with
> > shimano!!

> talking about bb not cranks, right ?

yep, crank stiffness, along with a BB spindle that does not twist, in
any system. Outboard bearings are stiffer but whether or not it has an
significant effect on cycling performance, well, I'll remain skeptical.

D'ohBoy wrote:

> It's a system - if one of the components is limp, the others don't
> matter all that much.
>
> Did love that comment that the "bike SQUIRTS up hills, no hype about
> that".
>
> D'ohBoy

it's all subjective, I've never noticed crank flex under any
conditions; but I DID notice when I went from a shimano cartridge bb
system with square taper to mega exo system on my regular hilly routes