Megamium 2 Tires...anyone?

Jaguar27

Sep 19, 2003
Listen, I have another Century coming up next month so I thought I'd buy some new "Touring" Tires...something that is comfy and above all something a little more Puncture resistant than the Hutchinson Fusion Comps I normally run, a great Tire but I hate flats on a cent...actually, I hate them on any ride...but...

So, I just bought some Michelin Magamium 2's...I haven't put them on the wheels yet but they do feel heavier, a trade off I know...

Has anyone used these Tires which were apparently named by Dr Evil from Austin Powers??

Cheers then!!

Jaguar27 said:
Listen, I have another Century coming up next month so I thought I'd buy some new "Touring" Tires...something that is comfy and above all something a little more Puncture resistant than the Hutchinson Fusion Comps I normally run, a great Tire but I hate flats on a cent...actually, I hate them on any ride...but...

So, I just bought some Michelin Magamium 2's...I haven't put them on the wheels yet but they do feel heavier, a trade off I know...

Has anyone used these Tires which were apparently named by Dr Evil from Austin Powers??

Cheers then!!
Had a set a few years back when they were marketed under a different model name. Pretty durable, but nowhere near as light as Pro Races. Good touring tire.

capwater said:
Had a set a few years back when they were marketed under a different model name. Pretty durable, but nowhere near as light as Pro Races. Good touring tire.

Great, durable and comfortable, that's exactly what I was looking for...thanks Cap!
;)

Continental Ultragatorskin or 4 Seasons tires are pretty flat resistant. If you are going on a century 25c would be a good size. The UGS comes in a foldable version now. Pretty wear resistant also. I use Grand Prix 3000s on my bike in the summer and they wear 2 to 3 times faster. I use the 25c 4 season or UGS for rides like the Bike Tour of Colorado and other distance rides. No flats in 3 years. If you want absolutely no flats then the Specialized Armadillos are truly bullet proof...infact I rode the last 10 miles on a flatted tire and didn't scratch my rim at all...but that says something about the comfort of the ride quality. I have a set I use on my quasi cross bike and I can't kill them.

Thanks Deanster, I've heard good things about the Armadillo's...

Interestingly, I've read that the Michelin's I've got are closer to 25c anyway..

The Century I'm doing isn't bad road surface wise apart from the usual debris and stuff, but there's a 14 mile downhill section where the road surface has loose chips which cause a ton of vibration...

Thanks again....

Deanster04 said:
Continental Ultragatorskin or 4 Seasons tires are pretty flat resistant. If you are going on a century 25c would be a good size. The UGS comes in a foldable version now. Pretty wear resistant also. I use Grand Prix 3000s on my bike in the summer and they wear 2 to 3 times faster. I use the 25c 4 season or UGS for rides like the Bike Tour of Colorado and other distance rides. No flats in 3 years. If you want absolutely no flats then the Specialized Armadillos are truly bullet proof...infact I rode the last 10 miles on a flatted tire and didn't scratch my rim at all...but that says something about the comfort of the ride quality. I have a set I use on my quasi cross bike and I can't kill them.

Armadillos are pretty bullet-proof, but a pretty harsh ride. Very hard rubber. Great on a trainer though, can't wear 'em out. Another good/tough tire is the Michelin Carbon.

Good luck on the century, they are always a blast to ride especially if you get in a nice pack.

Thanks again for the reply Cap..and the good wishes for the century, I'm kinda looking forward to it...it's well organized, well supported and for a good cause...

Life will be good that Day!

Cheers then!!

capwater said:
Armadillos are pretty bullet-proof, but a pretty harsh ride. Very hard rubber. Great on a trainer though, can't wear 'em out. Another good/tough tire is the Michelin Carbon.

Good luck on the century, they are always a blast to ride especially if you get in a nice pack.

Good luck for the century ride. I swear by Pro Race tyres. Haven't used the Pro Race 2 yet though, but I will do this year! The only punctures I've had are from hawthorn hedge thorns which farmers in the UK like to leave all over the road!
They're ideal for racing, quite hard wearing and roll superbly.

Bon Courage!!

Jean, who makes them?

So you're in the UK? I'm from there too...hey, I was really sorry to hear about those Welsh Lads a couple of weeks ago, that was really tragic...oh, and thanks for the good luck wishes for the Century...It raised over $300,000 last year for various charities...I just hope it doesn't rain, 106 miles is a long way to Crank with Shoes full of water..

Cheers then

Jean Dubois said:
Good luck for the century ride. I swear by Pro Race tyres. Haven't used the Pro Race 2 yet though, but I will do this year! The only punctures I've had are from hawthorn hedge thorns which farmers in the UK like to leave all over the road!
They're ideal for racing, quite hard wearing and roll superbly.

Bon Courage!!

Salut Jag,

Michelin, I use 23s but have just looked back at the earlier posts and see that your route is less than smooth! I'm using Continental Ultra Gatorskins at the moment while our roads are wet, salty and covered in grit as well as Winter pot-holes. They feel OK for Winter and should have a bit more wet grip than Pro Race.
Incidentally I rode on some Megamiums that were fitted to a Mallorca rental bike last Autumn. I'd never even heard of them before that. Was quite impressed but a bit heavy for road racing.
Which part of the UK you from then?
Yes, the Welsh thing is an utter tragedy. I think it's touched every cyclist in the country in some way.
Keep up the good work.
PS, I don't know why I come up as a guest, I thought I correctly registered and subscribed!

Jean

Jaguar27 said:
Jean, who makes them?

So you're in the UK? I'm from there too...hey, I was really sorry to hear about those Welsh Lads a couple of weeks ago, that was really tragic...oh, and thanks for the good luck wishes for the Century...It raised over $300,000 last year for various charities...I just hope it doesn't rain, 106 miles is a long way to Crank with Shoes full of water..

Cheers then

I think the Megamiums will be OK for my Century, It's actually in Palm Springs, I normally hook up with a fun group which is going at my pace have a laugh and just have a good old Day out...last year I saw quite a few Peeps with Flats but there were around 6000 Riders...it's just a real pain having to fix a flat on a Ride like that...so I tried to pick a Tire for durability...

Anyway, I was born and grew up in Cov, then moved to Warwick..then S.Africa...then back to the UK, West Sussex between Bognor and Chichester...

Where in the UK are you then?

Jean Dubois said:
Salut Jag,

Michelin, I use 23s but have just looked back at the earlier posts and see that your route is less than smooth! I'm using Continental Ultra Gatorskins at the moment while our roads are wet, salty and covered in grit as well as Winter pot-holes. They feel OK for Winter and should have a bit more wet grip than Pro Race.
Incidentally I rode on some Megamiums that were fitted to a Mallorca rental bike last Autumn. I'd never even heard of them before that. Was quite impressed but a bit heavy for road racing.
Which part of the UK you from then?
Yes, the Welsh thing is an utter tragedy. I think it's touched every cyclist in the country in some way.
Keep up the good work.
PS, I don't know why I come up as a guest, I thought I correctly registered and subscribed!

Jean

Jaguar27 said:
I think the Megamiums will be OK for my Century, It's actually in Palm Springs, I normally hook up with a fun group which is going at my pace have a laugh and just have a good old Day out...last year I saw quite a few Peeps with Flats but there were around 6000 Riders...it's just a real pain having to fix a flat on a Ride like that...so I tried to pick a Tire for durability...

Anyway, I was born and grew up in Cov, then moved to Warwick..then S.Africa...then back to the UK, West Sussex between Bognor and Chichester...

Jag, you might want to check out the Michelin website. They have an interesting "tire selector" , plus graphical presentations of the relative qualities of each model. The Megamium 2 looks to be a good blend of characterics for your centuries.

My LBS showed me a new Michelin model a couple of months back; another "star-trek" name that started with a K.... He said it was very long wearing. I need to go back and get tires soon. Although I'm a great fan of Conti GPs, may give these sturdier Michelins a try since the Conti 4000s are pretty pricey at $60 each.

Thanks dhk, that was a good idea, I checked out the site and you're right, lucky for me the Megamium seems to be pretty close to what I was looking for, comfort and puncture resistant...actually, I was looking for the other way around but oh well...the charts are excellent btw!!

Have Tire companies ever thought of picking names we can at least remember and maybe pronounce?

Something Like "Race" "Century" "Touring" and maybe the "RAAM"...for long/fast distances??

A light, puncture resistant, comfortable low resistance Tire would be too much to ask for I guess...

Thanks again!!

dhk said:
Jag, you might want to check out the Michelin website. They have an interesting "tire selector" , plus graphical presentations of the relative qualities of each model. The Megamium 2 looks to be a good blend of characterics for your centuries.

My LBS showed me a new Michelin model a couple of months back; another "star-trek" name that started with a K.... He said it was very long wearing. I need to go back and get tires soon. Although I'm a great fan of Conti GPs, may give these sturdier Michelins a try since the Conti 4000s are pretty pricey at $60 each.

For an easier to obtain alternative, check out the Michelin Carbon

Nice tyre, designed for long life!

Jaguar27 said:
Thanks dhk, that was a good idea, I checked out the site and you're right, lucky for me the Megamium seems to be pretty close to what I was looking for, comfort and puncture resistant...actually, I was looking for the other way around but oh well...the charts are excellent btw!!

Have Tire companies ever thought of picking names we can at least remember and maybe pronounce?

Something Like "Race" "Century" "Touring" and maybe the "RAAM"...for long/fast distances??

A light, puncture resistant, comfortable low resistance Tire would be too much to ask for I guess...

Thanks again!!
Looked at the new Michelin "Kryliums" (?) today at my LBS. The packaging icons show they are for high mileage, puncture resistance and good load carrying. They mays be a replacement tire for the Megamium 2, but not sure.

It is too bad one tire can't do it all. If Pro Race tires did it for all of us, Michelin and the others wouldn't waste effort producing and marketing so many different designs.

Anyway, the LBS still had fresh Conti GP 3000s, and gave me a good price, so went with those again. Guess I'm hooked on the Conti's....they got my vote again.

Conti's are good Tires...

Anyway, I put the megamium 2's on yesterday and went for a 30 miler..they are incredibly Comfy...very very smooth...when I went over bumps and cracks etc they just go "BUDUMPH"...

I was going to leave the Hutchinson's on and put the Megamiums on the night before the Cantury but I thought I'd take them for a spin in case I didn't like them for some reason and have to put up with them for 106 miles, but no, they worked out really good...I really like them, so if anyone is looking for a comfy Touring Tire which has good puncture resistance qualities I'd highly recommend them...

I couldn't really comment on rolling resistance because I had a very strong headwind the entire ride...funny how that happens sometimes, wind in both directions!! But I inflated them to the max recommended of 8 bar, around 110 psi and the ride on my Six13 was very much improved...10/10 for comfort...

They grip very well, they seem to be a sticky compound, I took some fast corners after I wore them in a bit...

dhk said:
Looked at the new Michelin "Kryliums" (?) today at my LBS. The packaging icons show they are for high mileage, puncture resistance and good load carrying. They mays be a replacement tire for the Megamium 2, but not sure.

It is too bad one tire can't do it all. If Pro Race tires did it for all of us, Michelin and the others wouldn't waste effort producing and marketing so many different designs.

Anyway, the LBS still had fresh Conti GP 3000s, and gave me a good price, so went with those again. Guess I'm hooked on the Conti's....they got my vote again.

Jaguar27 said:

Hi Jag,
I've had some great RV holidays in California. About 11 years ago I spent a few days in Palm Springs at Spring Break. You really know how to have a good time round there!
Where's SoCal, I can't figure that out.
I live South of Manchester in Cheshire, great lanes on the flat and fantastic hills / scenery in the Pennines or N Wales

Jean

Yeah, I really like SoCal, which is short for Southern California...
It has to be one of the best climates for Cycling in the world, this "winter" we've only had a couple of Days, I can't remember the last time I missed a ride because of the weather...I know there was one Day when it looked a bit iffy in the morning so I set off and got soaked....
Yesterday was pretty wierd, we started our ride at 7:30 am, I checked the temp in the Car and it was 35* F.....we all had short fingered Gloves on and we had to stop after about 3 miles because we couldn't change gear our front Paws were so cold..but that's really rare...

Palm Springs is OK, I have a Century there next month...

Cheshire is really nice...I bet there's some nice rides around there!!!

Cheers then.

Jean Dubois said:
Hi Jag,
I've had some great RV holidays in California. About 11 years ago I spent a few days in Palm Springs at Spring Break. You really know how to have a good time round there!
Where's SoCal, I can't figure that out.
I live South of Manchester in Cheshire, great lanes on the flat and fantastic hills / scenery in the Pennines or N Wales

Jean

capwater said:

Paul :)

Thanks again for the Armadillo hook-up ! ;)

I just mounted a 23c on my rear Mavic Open-Pro( just coming off using Conti Ultra 3000's).... and after only 200 miles, so far- so good ! Looks like I may get 1200+ miles out of it... could be more. Your right, the rubber is a bit hard - thus harsh ride, but the trade off in having a more bullet-proof tire can be worth it ! The tread-pattern is kinda cool..... looks like I'd be good in wet-weather- which is headed my way :eek: :D

Adam-from-SLO said:
Paul :)

Thanks again for the Armadillo hook-up ! ;)

I just mounted a 23c on my rear Mavic Open-Pro( just coming off using Conti Ultra 3000's).... and after only 200 miles, so far- so good ! Looks like I may get 1200+ miles out of it... could be more. Your right, the rubber is a bit hard - thus harsh ride, but the trade off in having a more bullet-proof tire can be worth it ! The tread-pattern is kinda cool..... looks like I'd be good in wet-weather- which is headed my way :eek: :D

I've got one on my rear wheel for the indoor trainer and except for a slightly dull spot where the tire contacts the trainer there appears to be very little wear after some hard use.

Interesting side note, the tire never seems to need air, far less than a Pro Race even with the same tube. Maybe once every couple of weeks, rather odd.

Happy trails Adam........