Mel Gibsons True Colors?

davidmc said:
Arrested for a potentially dangerous crime is bad enough but to then go on to expel a litany of unprovoked, anti-semitic remarks begs the question: is he an anti-semite/bigot :confused:

http://www.slate.com/id/2146880/?GT1=8483

Ah the cruel Irony.

Hitchens took part in a debate organised by "The London Review of Books" that was held in London during 2002. During the debate "an elderly gentleman" challenged him "over the dangers of US foreign policy". He then went on to say "I assume you are from the subcontinent, I wouldn't expect you to think otherwise with your ideology.". The gentleman replied "I am not from the subcontinent", and then Hitchens (off mike) went on to say "Well, he certainly looks like he's from the subcontinent."

It is not a surprise to see an Alcoholic Racist ex-pat attacking the person rather than the point. Carrera uses the same technique and he shares a huge amount of Hitchens' incoherent, unsupported and bigotted ideas too.

It is a small world...

darkboong said:
Ah the cruel Irony.

Hitchens took part in a debate organised by "The London Review of Books" that was held in London during 2002. During the debate "an elderly gentleman" challenged him "over the dangers of US foreign policy". He then went on to say "I assume you are from the subcontinent, I wouldn't expect you to think otherwise with your ideology.". The gentleman replied "I am not from the subcontinent", and then Hitchens (off mike) went on to say "Well, he certainly looks like he's from the subcontinent."

It is not a surprise to see an Alcoholic Racist ex-pat attacking the person rather than the point. Carrera uses the same technique and he shares a huge amount of Hitchens' incoherent, unsupported and bigotted ideas too.

It is a small world...
The piece was written by Hitchens about the gibson incident over the weekend. Don't shoot the messenger.
"I was just in the middle of writing a long and tedious essay, about how to tell a real anti-Semite from a person who too-loudly rejects the charge of anti-Semitism, when a near-perfect real-life example came to hand. That bad actor and worse director Mel Gibson, pulled over for the alleged offense of speeding and the further alleged offense of speeding under the influence, decided that he needed to demand of the arresting officer whether he was or was not Jewish and that he furthermore needed to impart the information that all the world's wars are begun by those of Semitic extraction."

davidmc said:
The piece was written by Hitchens about the gibson incident over the weekend. Don't shoot the messenger.

Hey, chill, I wasn't making any comment about the messenger. Was just pointing out that Hitchens is on record doing the exact same thing as Gibson, yet there he is sermonizing.

Yes, he's clearly anti-semitic, I think. This was suspected from the beginning. Alcohol is a wonderful chemical for releasing the inner thoughts and, on this occasion, it helped Mel Gibson lay his cards out on the table.
I didn't see his Passion film but I did hear it had caused protests.
The funny thing is, wherever you find anti-semitism, there is some contrasting religion that acts as motivation and Mel Gibson is himself religious.
Now all we need is a good booze-up to loosen Ken Livingstone's tongue a bit so he shows his true colours as well. :p

davidmc said:
Arrested for a potentially dangerous crime is bad enough but to then go on to expel a litany of unprovoked, anti-semitic remarks begs the question: is he an anti-semite/bigot :confused:

http://www.slate.com/id/2146880/?GT1=8483

He's apologised and hopefully that will be the end of it and so life can go on:
Mel Gibson. Possibly it was a case of being foolish under the influence of drink.
"I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.
The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God's child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.
I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.
I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.
This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It's about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad."

Carrera said:
Yes, he's clearly anti-semitic, I think. This was suspected from the beginning. Alcohol is a wonderful chemical for releasing the inner thoughts and, on this occasion, it helped Mel Gibson lay his cards out on the table.
I didn't see his Passion film but I did hear it had caused protests.
The funny thing is, wherever you find anti-semitism, there is some contrasting religion that acts as motivation and Mel Gibson is himself religious.
Now all we need is a good booze-up to loosen Ken Livingstone's tongue a bit so he shows his true colours as well. :p
Yes in deed! A drunken man will speak a sober man's mind.

Nothing-new here. Gibson's always been a little off the bubble.

lw

Carrera said:
He's apologised and hopefully that will be the end of it and so life can go on:
Mel Gibson. Possibly it was a case of being foolish under the influence of drink.
"I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.
The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God's child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.
I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.
I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.
This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It's about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad."
Wow! Well done. I hope this is from the heart and not just a collaborative PR from Mel and a Hollywood spin-doctor.

lw

darkboong said:
Hey, chill, I wasn't making any comment about the messenger. Was just pointing out that Hitchens is on record doing the exact same thing as Gibson, yet there he is sermonizing.

Galloway had a lovely term for Hitchens : he called him a poppenjay!

Carrera said:
It doesn't matter what statements he makes now, the proverbial cat is out of the bag. He cannot say he doesn't mean what he said when he voluntarily spoke the words unprovoked.

We can look forward to seeing gibson doing the "redemption" trail...Larry King,Oprah,Dr.Phil etc.,just like all the other "celebrities" who get caught out.He'll apologise profusely for a couple of weeks,spend some time in an expensive rehab. facility and talk a load of nonsense about god and his "faith" sustaining him blah blah blah and his audience can go back to wondering how many heads tom cruise's baby has.

stevebaby said:
We can look forward to seeing gibson doing the "redemption" trail...Larry King,Oprah,Dr.Phil etc.,just like all the other "celebrities" who get caught out.He'll apologise profusely for a couple of weeks,spend some time in an expensive rehab. facility and talk a load of nonsense about god and his "faith" sustaining him blah blah blah and his audience can go back to wondering how many heads tom cruise's baby has.

The papers said that Cruises baby is 3 months old - and has never been seen publicly!

If it's genuine, then I think the situation should be dropped and then he can get on with his career. Seems to me reminiscent of the time John Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ and that caused some waves in the Southern States.

lwedge said:
Wow! Well done. I hope this is from the heart and not just a collaborative PR from Mel and a Hollywood spin-doctor.

lw

limerickman said:
The papers said that Cruises baby is 3 months old - and has never been seen publicly!

And with a little luck it never will be.

ryan_velo. said:
I really dislike Mel Gibson, I think he sucks, but mad max was pretty good:cool:
he is arguable the most famous actor in hollywood. Anti Semitic views would really have gotten in the way of his career in the early days...

so what if he offends people now.

people are always gonna say, yeah Lethal Weapon etc. was a great movie...and move on.

a lot of people hold personal beliefs either at work, or in politics or in music and never say it because it may harm thier career or public standing...when you are as rich as MG, you can say what the hell you want.

Mel is a great actor,off his rocker a bit ,but so are a lot of people.